PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #601 of 734
It may seem as if the PX100 is being discontinued with no open ear-pad successor.

"The range succeeds the popular PX 100, PX 200 and HD 200 series models." Third post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/818931/sennheiser-debuts-a-bunch-of-new-headphones-at-ifa

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #602 of 734
  It may seem as if the PX100 is being discontinued with no open ear-pad successor.

"The range succeeds the popular PX 100, PX 200 and HD 200 series models." Third post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/818931/sennheiser-debuts-a-bunch-of-new-headphones-at-ifa

Gah! I had PX100 orginial version over 10 years ago. Ithing to get PX100mk2, should I do it?!

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #604 of 734
  My modded Porta Pros features grill mod and around ear-pads so they sound very open and nice, as far I remember. It's been a long time since I listened them though. Later on I used ksc75 drivers on Porta Pro headband and pad mod setup because I preferred ksc75 sound back then. Ksc75 are also grill modded. Last time I used Porta Pro ksc75 hybrid was when I was stuck in a hospital for a full week and didn't want to bring my better phones there. Sound was too bright for my present more experienced ears, and I had to EQ treble down a bit. I believe Porta Pro drivers would be now what I'd prefer over ksc75, at least on my modded setup. I don't have access to them before next weekend, but it'll be fun to listen them again and will do some comparing with PX-100 then. But seriously, PX-100 II are great, I compared them to HD650 yesterday very quickly, and I don't wonder if some prefer PX-100 II over HD650. PX 100 II doesn't seem to have certain veil that HD650 has, at least on my setup.

Yeah, maybe has to do with your setup?  I think the PX100ii is good at it's price range, but I still have a couple of old PX100s and I prefer them.  Neither of them are competition for a properly driven HD650.  I never heard the "older" supposedly "veiled" version of the HD650, so I can't compare it.  I have a 2016 version.  The PX100ii is muddy, mid-bass bloated and has rolled off treble compared to the HD650.  Despite that, I use the PX100s all the time at work straight out of a computer because it's so convenient.  Of course -YMMV, IMO, yada, yada, yada.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #605 of 734
  TAGA Harmony THDA-500T. I'm aware that HD650 is picky with amps but that's the only better amp I have at the moment. I have HD650 just temporarily now for borrow, or actually exchange for DT150.

I've never heard of that amp before but the specs are decent. There's no veil for me using my Project Ember MkII.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #606 of 734
  If you still got the old one, just keep using it. There's no magic about it. It's just a nice comfortable headphone.

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? Considering that PX100 is on the wall of fame over at Innerfidelity, it is fair to assume that it is a little more than "just a nice comfortable headphone". I've been trying to find a similar or nicer open on ear headphone, but no luck so far (it seems to be a rather uncrowded category)

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #607 of 734

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? Considering that PX100 is on the wall of fame over at Innerfidelity, it is fair to assume that it is a little more than "just a nice comfortable headphone". I've been trying to find a similar or nicer open on ear headphone, but no luck so far (it seems to be a rather uncrowded category)

Care for my HD 239 mint condition? It's on the top spot @ Innerfidelity, but I use more my PX-100 II because I'm treble sensitive and it is more laid back. So I want to sell the HD 239

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #611 of 734

To me, the PX 100 (on my second pair, the first pair broke) brings more worry than comfort. It really can't be overstated how bad the wiring going into the jack and grills is.The cable goes straight into the connectors and is soldered with virtually no strain relief. What this means is you're always checking to make sure you don't press on it, sit on it, pull on it...

When this one goes out the same way, I'm not buying another pair. I won't play into Sennheiser's planned obsolescence crap. Every bad review on these headphones has been mostly due to this single issue and Sennheiser has nothing to say about it.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything else with this sound signature. There may not be anything out there. As I said above, to me the VE Monks aren't far from these in terms of quality, if you don't mind earbuds. For many pieces, I actually prefer the Monks. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #612 of 734

You could get a Koss Sportapro ($20) and clip the drivers onto a Parts Express headband ($2). This gives you "Portapro sound" on a lighter headband that doesn't clamp as much (thus balancing out the sound nicely).

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #613 of 734

You could get a Koss Sportapro ($20) and clip the drivers onto a Parts Express headband ($2). This gives you "Portapro sound" on a lighter headband that doesn't clamp as much (thus balancing out the sound nicely).

Do they sound similar to the PX100? I haven't had the PX100 in ages but I've got some Koss stuff around. and I dunno if I want to spend $50 to find out how similar to the Koss they are!

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #614 of 734
Do they sound similar to the PX100? I haven't had the PX100 in ages but I've got some Koss stuff around. and I dunno if I want to spend $50 to find out how similar to the Koss they are!

I don't have the PX100, just the PX100ii. Although the sportapro and px100ii sound similar, I prefer the sportapro by a fair margin (I found too much of a mid bass hump on the px100ii and some veil and rolled off highs - maybe I had a dud?). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back