PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Jun 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #572 of 734

The PX 100 ii is supposed to be dark. It isn't a defect or anything. That IS it's intended sound signature and that's why some of us really love it. If you'd like to explore ways to brighten it up, you should... but I, for one, can't get enough of its darkness. 

its very easy on the ear.not bright at all.

There is a big variation of sound in PX-100 cans, I've had pairs with a lot of bass and others wwith hardly any, and others in the SennGrado thread have found the same.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #573 of 734
There is a big variation of sound in PX-100 cans, I've had pairs with a lot of bass and others wwith hardly any, and others in the SennGrado thread have found the same.

i have had about 30 pairs as they break-they all sound the same to me to be honest.
what source do you use and do you amp up.i just use the i pod shuffle first gen or the iphone 4s.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #574 of 734

i have had about 30 pairs as they break-they all sound the same to me to be honest.
what source do you use and do you amp up.i just use the i pod shuffle first gen or the iphone 4s.

That's odd, all of us who are making SennGrado's for members and have used multiple pairs pretty much agree on that,

Here's one of many discussions about that in this thread.

Fleasbaby says he stopped making senngrados because there are to many variations between pairs. Post 243

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread/240

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #576 of 734
That's odd, all of us who are making SennGrado's for members and have used multiple pairs pretty much agree on that,

Here's one of many discussions about that in this thread.

Fleasbaby says he stopped making senngrados because there are to many variations between pairs. Post 243

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread/240

ill have a look thanks.the px 100 seem a little brighter straight out of the box and prior to burn in.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #580 of 734

That could be because there are lots of fakes out there. I also noticed the little foam earpads have a huge impact on the sound. I had some left over PortaPro foam pad replacements I got from Amazon, and they make the PX2 sound really bad. If you hold the foam up to a light, you want one that lets a lot of light pass through it. The replacement PortaPro foamies blocked a lot of light, so I'm assuming it messed up the sound. Both my pairs sound identical with stock pads.

And for earpads, can any owners of the HD414 pads do me a favor? I bought some from eBay and one of the pads keeps falling off. I took both off to inspect, and I noticed one of the cups is missing a cut inside that creates a lip to hold the driver in place. Is this normal?  One has a solid circular cut, the other has a circular cut, with a slightly larger cut that creates a lip to tuck the driver into.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #581 of 734
Ok, here is a little guide on how to stretch your headphones without snapping them and getting a perfect bend while relieving like 90% of the vice grip clamp.

1. Find a box that is slightly larger than your heads width (1/2" max). Don't use pillows or soft objects, as it can create a lopsided bend.

2. Adjust the height adjustments to fit your head.

3. Place the adjusted headphones on the box like you would do normally stretching your headphones.
(This is the normal way, but the metal frame and plastic are way too stiff/strong and have crazy memory and eventually return to shape after a few hours. I did this for a few weeks and they would always return to really bad clamping. This is what led me to start bending them by hand and snapped my first pair. Bending by hand will also give you an uneven bend.)

4. Now get a hair dryer and put it on the highest heat setting and start heating up the top portion of the headband. If you use a heatgun, becareful with the heat settings. Don't go below the plastic frame where the L/R labels are and don't do the underside where the padding is because I'm assuming those are glued on. Heat the top metal insert until it's hot to the touch and then stop heating it. Try not to direct the heat towards the drivers, or even cover them with a towel.

5. The heat will make the aluminum/metal lose a good amount of it's memory from bending, but it's still going to slightly bend back, this is why we want a box slightly larger than your head.

6. Let them cool off stretched out over the box for 30 minutes and then try them out. They should be a lot more comfortable now. If not, do it one or two more times, or adjust the box size to your preference of clamp.

After doing this, I can now wear them all day with 0 headache or pain. No more enduring months of pain breaking in your headphones! 
tongue.gif
 This also helps the sound in a good way, IMO, as it stops shoving the drivers down your ear canals. Makes them sound more natural and the bass isn't as boomy.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #583 of 734
  speakerlao, why is all that better than simply putting it on a larger-than-head size object and letting it stretch for a while?

I answered that in the post, but here:

(This is the normal way, but the metal frame and plastic are way too stiff/strong and have crazy memory and eventually return to shape after a few hours. I did this for a few weeks and they would always return to really bad clamping. This is what led me to start bending them by hand and snapped my first pair. Bending by hand will also give you an uneven bend.)

So you can spend a few weeks trying to relieve the clamp, or get it done in 30 minutes. Up to you really.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #585 of 734

I answered that in the post, but here:

So you can spend a few weeks trying to relieve the clamp, or get it done in 30 minutes. Up to you really.

Thanks for that. Will give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back