PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #541 of 734
  The build quality on PX 100 ii isn't just poor. It is actually made as if it were a disposable headphone. Sennheiser needs to apologize and fix it on a new release. 

I disagree, PX100-2 is a huge improvement in build and cable quality over the PX100-1. From my long experience the newer model tends to last substantially longer than the previous one. Given the price, it is indeed a disposable headphone. I would however be happy to pay a premium for getting a detachable cable or even a Bluetooth option in a future version of this model.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #542 of 734
  I disagree, PX100-2 is a huge improvement in build and cable quality over the PX100-1. From my long experience the newer model tends to last substantially longer than the previous one. Given the price, it is indeed a disposable headphone. I would however be happy to pay a premium for getting a detachable cable or even a Bluetooth option in a future version of this model.

Our expectations don't have to be so low. We've seen full-sized headphones coming from China costing $30-40 dollars which feature excellent cables and sound great. I'm not happy paying $40 for a disposable Walkman-sized on-ear, which turns into junk the minute I forget they're on and turn to answer a phone. I'm actually pretty pissed about it.

I agree. Detachable cable or a Bluetooth option would be great.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #543 of 734
Well, I sold my defected pair of PX100's (with unbalanced drivers) and bought another one, in new condition. On the new ones everything seems to be ok, and now I can say for sure that PX100II is one of the greatest sounding headphones in "non-audiophile" price range on the market. I owned Koss PortaPro, UR40, Takstar 2050, Creative Aurvana Live!, Audio-Technica M50, Soundmagic P30, Fischer Audio FA-006 - and sold all of them except Aurvana (despite their overbrightened sound signature), so I totally agree with TS about inbeatable qualities of PX100 - they're cans #1 for me.

May 15, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #544 of 734
How well does the clamping force relax with break-in over time? I can't stand them for more than an hour, but I love the sound. 
mad.gif
 Wondering if I can remove the drivers and swap them to the PortaPro?

May 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #545 of 734
How well does the clamping force relax with break-in over time? I can't stand them for more than an hour, but I love the sound. :mad:  Wondering if I can remove the drivers and swap them to the PortaPro?

It's pretty safe to bend the headband. Just don't overdo it.

May 19, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #546 of 734
I got these headphones two weeks ago second hand for 15 euro. At first I was not satisfied with the tonal balance of them, they were very bass heavy and this muffled all the highs. Then I bought a pair of HD414 pads to try, with only the 414 pads it sounded a lot better already but the highs had gotten a bit harsh. Then I put the 414 pads over the original ones and that's when I got amazed.

They really sound like a portable HD600 (which I also own) with a little more bass which I like because of portable use. They're easy to drive out of my Nexus 5 with the volume up about 3/4 but I've noticed the sound quality greatly increased with better gear. At home I use a Soundblaster Titanium HD with a Objective 2 amp which made the PX100 noticably tighter sounding. Today I brought my iBasso DX90 with me to school and this is what made me write this post.

I don't know if it's synergy or the iBasso is just that good but man does the PX100II sound incredible with a DX90 even not considering the ridiculous low price I've paid for them.

I've ordered a $1.99 Grado SR60 pad replacement from eBay to experiment and when I get them I can measure all the different pads with an in-ear microphone and maybe compare them to my HD600 and HE560 if people would like to see this.

Has anybody elsie tried different pads aside from the 414 pads?

May 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #547 of 734
  I got these headphones two weeks ago second hand for 15 euro. At first I was not satisfied with the tonal balance of them, they were very bass heavy and this muffled all the highs. Then I bought a pair of HD414 pads to try, with only the 414 pads it sounded a lot better already but the highs had gotten a bit harsh. Then I put the 414 pads over the original ones and that's when I got amazed.

They really sound like a portable HD600 (which I also own) with a little more bass which I like because of portable use. They're easy to drive out of my Nexus 5 with the volume up about 3/4 but I've noticed the sound quality greatly increased with better gear. At home I use a Soundblaster Titanium HD with a Objective 2 amp which made the PX100 noticably tighter sounding. Today I brought my iBasso DX90 with me to school and this is what made me write this post.

I don't know if it's synergy or the iBasso is just that good but man does the PX100II sound incredible with a DX90 even not considering the ridiculous low price I've paid for them.

I've ordered a $1.99 Grado SR60 pad replacement from eBay to experiment and when I get them I can measure all the different pads with an in-ear microphone and maybe compare them to my HD600 and HE560 if people would like to see this.

1 pair of pads over the other? That sounds horrible for some reason, at least reading it. The only thing I did was switch the pads from my PortaPro onto the PX, as they're a bit thinner and worn in, so I get a bit better bass response, as the driver is closer to my ear.

It's pretty safe to bend the headband. Just don't overdo it.

Weird thing is, I ordered a second pair because I liked them so much, the second pair has almost no clamp, where my first pair felt like a vicegrip on my head. I've been stretching my first pair over a box since I got them, and the clamp is still very tight. Second pair I just took them out of the box and have been wearing them with no discomfort or headache from clamping. Seems like the plastic has a lot more give to it on my second pair.

May 21, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #548 of 734

1 pair of pads over the other? That sounds horrible for some reason, at least reading it. The only thing I did was switch the pads from my PortaPro onto the PX, as they're a bit thinner and worn in, so I get a bit better bass response, as the driver is closer to my ear.

Weird thing is, I ordered a second pair because I liked them so much, the second pair has almost no clamp, where my first pair felt like a vicegrip on my head. I've been stretching my first pair over a box since I got them, and the clamp is still very tight. Second pair I just took them out of the box and have been wearing them with no discomfort or headache from clamping. Seems like the plastic has a lot more give to it on my second pair.

Weak quality control.

May 25, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #549 of 734

There are a lot of threads on the net about using different pads for these and also mods for the px 100-just have a good look.im pleased you like them.All of my family have a pair.They only last about 1yr though.

May 25, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #550 of 734

The dog sleeps through anything-black metal death metal grindcore,deep dub bass ambient space music,jazz,judas priest.ufo

May 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #551 of 734

I had some 414 pads sitting around (never liked them alone on the PC100 II) and tried you simple mod, and I love the change. I no longer have the HD600 or 598 (owned both), rather I moved to the Fidelio X2. But I have to say, the PX100 II is $41 on Amazon, and it's just an amazing value with this weird pad mod. I have the Plenue D player, and set to headphone 2 EQ from the presets, just fantastic. It's almost silly how much the law of diminishing returns is in effect for those of us with mere mortal ears. I A/B'd the X2s and PX100 and of course the former had a wider soundstand and a bit more of a 3D effect, but listening to Krall's Live in Paris was pretty great on both sets.

I won't sell the X2s, not yet. But I might some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back