PX100-II Review | Discussion Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #496 of 734
  Are there any rumours about an update to these headphones? I've been using PX100 and PX100 2 since around a decade, but I am getting a bit tired of spending money on new batches of headphones every time the cables break. Detachable cable or even a wireless version would be a phenomenal improvement in this department imo.

I can't see them ever having a removable cable for two reasons. The first is that it would make the enclosures that bit chunkier & heavier and the second is that it would increase the cost.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #497 of 734
I've had at least fifteen pairs of PX100ii's over the last couple of years and have found that each pair has a slightly different SQ. They have the same tone but some have much deeper bass than others. Another thing I noticed is that some seem to have more sound coming out of the left or right channel, not balanced. The sound stage is not centered.

I wonder if it's the same thing with other headphones or if more expensive headphones have better quality control.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #498 of 734
I don't know. Drivers aren't matched on lower end equipment, at least by Sennheiser anyway. You have to go all the way to the HD 650 before they do that.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #499 of 734

I can't see them ever having a removable cable for two reasons. The first is that it would make the enclosures that bit chunkier & heavier and the second is that it would increase the cost.

The chunkier part I understand, as for the cost, they could make them an upsale or something. I wouldn't mind a wireless edition either, there is already the Sennheiser MM 100, so it should be possible.

I have heard quite a few much more expensive headphones than the PX100-2, but I end up preferring the immersive sound of the PX100-2. Are there any other headphones with similar sound profile?

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #500 of 734
  The chunkier part I understand, as for the cost, they could make them an upsale or something. I wouldn't mind a wireless edition either, there is already the Sennheiser MM 100, so it should be possible.

I have heard quite a few much more expensive headphones than the PX100-2, but I end up preferring the immersive sound of the PX100-2. Are there any other headphones with similar sound profile?

Yes, the HD 650 sounds the same, but bigger in every way. Only when the PX 100-II is used with HD 414 pads.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #501 of 734
Thanks, the size (and cable design) puts me off with regard to HD 650. As for detachable cable, it looks interesting what Philips has done with the M1 cable design, with the detachment part moved off the headphone: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71glewpnx-L._SL1425_.jpg

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #502 of 734
Well the 650 is really only good around the house where cable design isn't such a big deal in my opinion. I do also have an aftermarket cable for my 650 but actually prefer the stock one as it's virtually bullet-proof. That Philips looks interesting but it does mean there's a bit more weight dangling which may or may not be noticeable.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #503 of 734
Has anyone tried removing the foam from the backs of the drivers? The px100-II is too dark for me and I'm trying to think of mods that night elevate the treble presence. If I pull them away from my ears, they are less bassy and sound brighter, so perhaps some kind of mod to let there be some front diver airflow might be the ticket as well. Any modders reading this thread?

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #504 of 734
Has anyone tried removing the foam from the backs of the drivers? The px100-II is too dark for me and I'm trying to think of mods that night elevate the treble presence. If I pull them away from my ears, they are less bassy and sound brighter, so perhaps some kind of mod to let there be some front diver airflow might be the ticket as well. Any modders reading this thread?

The only mod I know about is to cut quarter-sized holes in the earpads. I tried that with a spare set of pads and it did make them brighter (though it was not to my liking).

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #505 of 734
The only mod I know about is to cut quarter-sized holes in the earpads. I tried that with a spare set of pads and it did make them brighter (though it was not to my liking).

Yeah I can take the pads completely off and they are still dark and bassy. I suspect there must be a good bit of product variance.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #506 of 734

HD 414 pads do this to a certain extent. They allow a bit more air and seperation. It's not night & day but it worked for me. Far more comfortable too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Sennheiser-HD414-Yellow-Foam-Ear-Pads-for-HD-414-HD-414X-HD-414CL-/131594773116?hash=item1ea3a8e27c

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #507 of 734
Yeah I can take the pads completely off and they are still dark and bassy. I suspect there must be a good bit of product variance.

Maybe. But at least the two of us got the same variance 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #509 of 734
Not sure if already mentioned in the thread, but it seems Sennheiser changed the connector and cable (again?). The cable feels thinner and less rubbery while the connector now is one of those 90 degree angle types. Unfortunately I gave away my previous pair, so do not have the old version to compare with directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back