PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #796 of 1,613
The GND pole can act as a reference point for mass - where interference current will flow into this point.
1. Does your cable has a shield.
2. Does the shield connected to the pole?
3. Does it is corrected with the technical specification of the device.

For desktop device, you will mess up if connect the GND of massing system to SE(SINGLE END GND pole).
User is messing up because they don't know, and the manufacture doesn't know or actively don't know too.
Alright I think I'm going mad but there is definitely some sort of sorcery going on here. I emailed PW directly to see if my dodgy adapter combo would actually take advantage of the 3.5mm's ground pole alongside the chain I have below and they said "No"... Yet I've done several back and forth's and I can clearly hear better layering and a more three-dimensional sound. I'm not sure if its something within the adapter coming directly from the player thats doing this but it sounds better to my ears... which is not ideal given how impractical it is but SQ above all else.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.30.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.30.37.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #797 of 1,613
Alright I think I'm going mad but there is definitely some sort of sorcery going on here. I emailed PW directly to see if my dodgy adapter combo would actually take advantage of the 3.5mm's ground pole alongside the chain I have below and they said "No"... Yet I've done several back and forth's and I can clearly hear better layering and a more three-dimensional sound. I'm not sure if its something within the adapter coming directly from the player thats doing this but it sounds better to my ears... which is not ideal given how impractical it is but SQ above all else.
The cable itself won't be able to use the grounding benefits offered by the AK 4.4, but I would suspect there is something done by the grounding to the SQ that is passing its way up the chain.

You might not be getting the full benefits of using a 4.4 with the adapter grounding it, but an audible difference is still good to hear.

I'm still waiting for when it's safe to meet up and get a second opinion on the 1A grounding adapter. But there's an audible improvement to my ears as well with the Odin.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #798 of 1,613
The cable itself won't be able to use the grounding benefits offered by the AK 4.4, but I would suspect there is something done by the grounding to the SQ that is passing its way up the chain.

You might not be getting the full benefits of using a 4.4 with the adapter grounding it, but an audible difference is still good to hear.

I'm still waiting for when it's safe to meet up and get a second opinion on the 1A grounding adapter. But there's an audible improvement to my ears as well with the Odin.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, maybe at the player ‘level’ shall we call it, the benefit manifests. Which in turn is passed up the chain somehow equating to a more stable left / right distinction? I don’t know but it has made me question myself. I’ll give it another go in the morning with fresh ears. Using the 2.5mm directly with Odin I definitely perceived the sound as a lot more two dimensional and seemingly on a single plane. Interesting but at this point you start to doubt your own ears and put it down to placebo.

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #799 of 1,613
I'm using the 1960 2 wire with my Rhapsodio Eden’s to great effect!

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #800 of 1,613
My little piece of black magic arrived today to use with my Hugo 2, looking forward to trying it tonight!

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #801 of 1,613
Okay, my magic box arrived today for my Hugo 2, and color me impressed, I've never, ever heard the Hugo sound this good driving headphones.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #802 of 1,613
Let me confirm:
- Setup 1: direct from SE200.
- Setup 2: 4.4 to (2.5+3.5 adapter) + 2.5 to 4.4 adapter.

This example is clearly show how miss interpretation can occur when listening to music. In your case I suggest that there might be the phenomenon of something like when adding additional resistance like 2 adapter, the signal is actually degraded. However, when degrading by pass through some different, connector with different material, the signal might be reflected, diffused, then the LR separation might decreased. This degrade might lower the separation then give you the feeling of more 3D sound, however, this is degrading. That might similar to cross-feed issue, or some still claim that in same device, SE is more musical than BAL. Just my assumption for explain.

But one thing is absolutely right is that, adding one adapter always degrade the sound quality of signal. Even you do it with the best material.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #803 of 1,613
Let me confirm:

This example is clearly show how miss interpretation can occur when listening to music. In your case I suggest that there might be the phenomenon of something like when adding additional resistance like 2 adapter, the signal is actually degraded. However, when degrading by pass through some different, connector with different material, the signal might be reflected, diffused, then the LR separation might decreased. This degrade might lower the separation then give you the feeling of more 3D sound, however, this is degrading. That might similar to cross-feed issue, or some still claim that in same device, SE is more musical than BAL. Just my assumption for explain.

But one thing is absolutely right is that, adding one adapter always degrade the sound quality of signal. Even you do it with the best material.
*shrug* I mean people spend tons of money trying to introduce distortion for the ideal sound. So signal degradation might not be as big of an issue as its made to be.

I'm fine with my neotech silver pigtails tyvm. Not paying for pigtails made out of the same as a cable for an additional arm and a leg.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #804 of 1,613
Let me confirm:

I interesting, but I'm hearing the adapter improve the sonics of a Hugo 2, bigger stage, timbre and tone, with most headphones and IEMs I find the Hugo is thin, and lacking body.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #805 of 1,613
*shrug* I mean people spend tons of money trying to introduce distortion for the ideal sound. So signal degradation might not be as big of an issue as its made to be.

I'm fine with my neotech silver pigtails tyvm. Not paying for pigtails made out of the same as a cable for an additional arm and a leg.
Just goes to show that the 'purest' signal is not always the best. Same goes for the 'least distorted' signal. We can measure the 'perfect' signal, but we can't measure the 'perfect' sound for each person. That's where science blurs into art. And that's why cable/adapter/source/etc. 'differences' will be debated as nauseum.

If it makes a positive difference to you, that's all that counts. And if enough people are hearing a positive difference from a certain piece of gear or accessory, there must be something in it, even if it's not scientifically verifiable.

Edit: there's a reason why PW's Cardas copper cables sound 'better' to so many people, price absurdity aside. No idea what that reason is, but it's there.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #806 of 1,613
I think if we were measuring all the right things in the proper way, we would already have been able to built a Quality-ometer, which we woul simply 'point at' at various gear and read the display to determine which gear is good and which isn't.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #807 of 1,613
54 pages of discussion on quality etc...

Have people experienced any durability or other issues with the PW Audio 1960 cables? I'm hoping to receive my first one!

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #808 of 1,613
54 pages of discussion on quality etc...

Have people experienced any durability or other issues with the PW Audio 1960 cables? I'm hoping to receive my first one!
The 1960 2w is very supple and the build is first rate. Of all my cables it is the easiest to roll up and place in one of the circular can type enclosures along with the iem. What iem are you looking to pair? For me is is 64Audio Fourte.

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #809 of 1,613
The 1960 2w is very supple and the build is first rate. Of all my cables it is the easiest to roll up and place in one of the circular can type enclosures along with the iem. What iem are you looking to pair? For me is is 64Audio Fourte.

Trailii ... comes with the cable standard though the intent is that the option is there to swap it around.
thanks though 🙏

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #810 of 1,613
Except for the cosmetics, Is there a difference between the 1960’s 2 wire and the Stormbreaker, or are they the same exact Cable? The reason I ask is because I tried the Stormbraker with the LX and found them to have really good synergy. My concern though is whether a 1960’s 2 wire would have the same synergy or not. Has anyone been able to try both cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back