Push To Listen Microphone?
Jul 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Supperconductor

New Head-Fier
I don't know if anyone else here is old to enough to remember the original Sony Walkman. I'm talking about the very first model - the TPS-L2 (http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/tps-l2). Well, if you look at the picture, it had a prominent yellow temporary push-button on the unit. This button activated a microphone that would pick up ambient sound, partially mute the sound coming from the cassette player and mix it before sending it through to the headphone output. This made it VERY convenient to be able to hear someone without having to take off your headphones. I have always thought this feature was way way ahead of its time. I'd love to have such a feature with my IEMs as it takes me a bit of effort to get a good fit. Therefore, when I'm at work and need to have a quick chat, I'd like to be able to leave the IEM's in, push a button - have a chat, and go back to listening/working.

Has anyone seen such an add-on or built-in feature on modern hardware?

- Kam

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Shure PTH units is the only device I'm aware of that I have, although I'd be interested to know if people know of any others :)

keep it mind tho that it doesn't mix ambient noise with your source--- when you flip on the switch, it just mutes your source (not 100%)

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 11
The mixing feature isn't critical for me at all. Hmmm, the reviews aren't great for the Shure PTH but its basically what I'm looking for. This might be a good candidate for a DIY effort.

- Kam

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Yeah the reviews aren't great, but it suites me well enough and there aren't any other options I'm aware of.  

I agree with all of the reviews that it's unnecessarily bulky and adds cable clutter, but that's a non-issue for me since I use mine when I'm sitting at my desk -- not walking around or mobile in any way.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 11
I use my PCM-M10 recorder as a mp3 sometimes, those omnidirectional mics make killer PTH 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Much better than the Shures. Too detailed actually, on high gain I'm often like, crud, I'm breathing too loud. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 11
any body willing to part with their sure pth? looking for one or putting together a diy for same effect. (for use @ work) been doing a little digging but i'm not that familiar with mics. basically a powered mic w/line-out output, switch, some jacks.... looked at some self powered omni directional mics for cheap (20.00-30.00), but i think there's a catch with impedance matching... any body have a better handle/knowledge on mics, mic preamps etc... any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 11
If you use an iPhone or iPod Touch as your player there is an app called Awareness! that incorporates this principle. I've used it and it works but the device needs to be out of your pocket since it uses the on-board mics to receive the ambient noise.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 11
there are also a number of apps for android. i think i found 3-4 different ones but none of them worked right on my htc eris. oh, well. don't use my phone as a source that often anyway.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back