Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #916 of 972
Wow, so much knowledge has been dropping in this thread in the last like day. I swear I take 1 day off...

Thanks, everyone. I'll be processing this slowly but I send my thanks :pray:

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #918 of 972
Mike Lester told me that if using the standard switching power supplies of my router and modem that it was "not clear" if it would benefit or harm my system to attach the modem and router to the PSM. This is because although the PSM has independant isolation between outlets, this isolation is not foolproof as in order to make it 100% with no leakage to other components, he would have needed to raise the resistance which would cause more damage than good. Therefore, leakage, however small from the poor quality switching PS of the router and modem could pollute the other components and cause more damage than good. He told me the only way to know is to try.
That's the reason why I needed two psm156's, to separate my desktop from the rest of the components. I have a power plant stellar 3 powering my router and modem separately, away from the other components. You have me considering selling the power plant for another psm156. I guess I'll wait a little while longer before I pick up a third psm156, just until I find out how my system will react to the Melco switch coming in.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #920 of 972
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #921 of 972
So with this, you would replace the wall wart plug your modem and router have? Would I need two of these, one for a modem and one for a router?
Yes. If your modem and router are seperate. Also- you can upgrade the DC cable at Ghent audio or other cable makers. Also- you can uograde the fuse to an audiophile fuse.

There is no end. I am not saying to go so far- but one could do so.... and IMHO it all makes a difference.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #922 of 972
Again, if you get a low noise PS for the router and modem, leakage to the other components attached to the PSM are not an issue. Just get rid of the standard switching power supplies.
I've tried using lps with the modems before, for some reason it negatively effected the sound, and this only occurred with the router/modem. There was a significant improvement when I connected router/modem to a conditioner with the original smps.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #925 of 972
PSM156 arrived today. I plugged in everything (that I have as part of hi-fi system) and briefly tested speakers (those I know best, my headphone amp is still very new). I'm still trying to figure out what just happened. My intention is to have everything in, it does not make too much sense to plug my power amp still into the wall socket, for example.

A few things are for sure:
- it does change the overall signature quite substantially. So those oscilloscope guys measuring the conditioner and claiming it does nothing must be wrong. I'm clear on that.
- I'm surprised but it is not brighter at all. I'm quite positive it is the opposite. I'd call it warmer or maybe significantly stronger on bass. The bass is now incredibly strong. To such an extent, I'm wondering if I need to do something with my room or what. It's frankly unbelievable.
- It seems like it silenced the whole system. Meaning, that while before I stopped the volume button quite shortly (as my power amp is really way too powerful for the speakers), now I can go almost double the distance to reach the same comfortable listening volume. But it opens up my speakers at the same time a lot more.
- the hum I had before coming from my power conditioner is however still there, and even from the speakers. It's probably less now, I hear it when I place my ear in front of the speakers directly, but it is still there (maybe 50%-60% of the previous state). This is probably a bit of a letdown, I was hoping it would silence it completely. This didn't happen.

But this conditioner threw everything I knew about my system out of the window, literally. I'm confused. But at the same time, I like this change. I just need to understand what exactly happened.. It will take some time:). I will also start listening to the headphones, wondering what will happen there.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #926 of 972
PSM156 arrived today. I plugged in everything (that I have as part of hifi system) and briefly tested speakers (those I know best, my headphone amp is still very new). I'm still trying to figure out what just happened. My intention is to have everything in, it does not make too much of a sense to plug my power amp still into the wall socket, for example.

- it does change the overall signature quite substantially. So those oscilloscope guys measuring the conditioner and claiming it does nothing must be wrong. I'm clear on that.
- I'm surprised but it is not brighter at all. I'm quite positive it is the opposite. I'd call it warmer or maybe significantly stornger on bass. The bass is now incredibly strong. To such extent, I'm wondering if I need to do something with my room or what. It's frankly unbelievable.
- It seems like it silenced the whole system. Meaning, that while before I stopped the volume button quite shortly (as my power amp is really way too powerful for the speakers), now I can go almost double the distance to reach the same comfortable listening volume. But it opens up my speakers at the same time a lot more.
- the hum I had before coming from my power conditioner is however still there, and even from the speakers. It's probably less now, I hear it when I place my ear in front of the speakers directly, but it is still there (maybe 50%-60% of the previous state). This is probably a bit of let down, I was hoping it would silence it completely. This didn't happen.

But this conditioner threw everyting I knew about my system out of the window, literally. I'm confused. But at the same time I like this change. I just need to understand what exactly happened.. It will take some time :). I will also start listening to the headphones, wondering what will happen there.
Mine arrived yesterday as well. I'm not going to write my impressions because you pretty much did it for me - thank you.

Amazon HD Music > Puritan Audio PSM156 (conditioner) > Audiolab 6000N (streamer) > NewOntech DAC07 (dac) > Inspire LP-396a (pre) > Inspire 300B (amp) > Omega Super 7 High Output Monitor (speaker ~98db sensitivity) > Martin Logan Depth (sub)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #927 of 972
PSM156 arrived today. I plugged in everything (that I have as part of hi-fi system) and briefly tested speakers (those I know best, my headphone amp is still very new). I'm still trying to figure out what just happened. My intention is to have everything in, it does not make too much sense to plug my power amp still into the wall socket, for example.

- I'm surprised but it is not brighter at all. I'm quite positive it is the opposite. I'd call it warmer or maybe significantly stronger on bass. The bass is now incredibly strong. To such an extent, I'm wondering if I need to do something with my room or what. It's frankly unbelievable.
- the hum I had before coming from my power conditioner is however still there, and even from the speakers. It's probably less now, I hear it when I place my ear in front of the speakers directly, but it is still there (maybe 50%-60% of the previous state). This is probably a bit of a letdown, I was hoping it would silence it completely. This didn't happen.

But this conditioner threw everything I knew about my system out of the window, literally. I'm confused. But at the same time, I like this change. I just need to understand what exactly happened.. It will take some time:). I will also start listening to the headphones, wondering what will happen there.
It's fun stuff what these do. I always feel like I'm getting something worth the money one way or another. Have you tried getting an extension cable and plugging your speakers into a bunch of different circuits to separate them? If the hum goes away it's a ground loop. I say trying a bunch of circuits because other circuits can still be connected and cause the issue even if they are relatively far away. Have to find one that isn't connected for it to work.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #928 of 972

Out of curiosity, are you using the stock cable? You mention warmer and not bright from the get go. Thanks.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #929 of 972
Out of curiosity, are you using the stock cable? You mention warmer and not bright from the get go. Thanks.
The classic. It would be too much for me to go with Ultimate at the same time. I thought eventually I would upgrade later. But judging based on how it sounds now, maybe that won't be needed. I already have a few Pangea (AC9 MKII and AC14 SE MKII) and Supra power cables to connect the rest of the equipment, too.

Also, the connector on PSM is different from the rest of my equipment. The connectors on the plug into all my gears are vertical (like in the picture), while the plug connectors on PSM are horizontal :). Didn't realize this before the buy, but this means I can't mix and match cables between PSM and other gears. So that means I will most likely stick with the classic for quite some time.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #930 of 972
The classic. It would be too much for me to go with Ultimate at the same time. I thought eventually I would upgrade later. But judging based on how it sounds now, maybe that won't be needed. I already have a few Pangea (AC9 MKII and AC14 SE MKII) and Supra power cables to connect the rest of the equipment, too.

Also, the connector on PSM is different from the rest of my equipment. The connectors on the plug into all my gears are vertical (like in the picture), while the plug connectors on PSM are horizontal :). Didn't realize this before the buy, but this means I can't mix and match cables between PSM and other gears. So that means I will most likely stick with the classic for quite some time.
The mains cable into the Puritans is terminated with a C19, 20amp IEC (not sure why). Pretty easy to stick a c19 onto any decent gauge cable and you’re good to go. I did the opposite when I replaced the mains cable with an Audio Envy Mega. Cap will terminate them with a C19, and then I took the classic and put a standard 15a plug on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back