Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #901 of 1,001
So what is the recommended burn in time for Ultimate cables, assuming there is one?
Generally I'd say two weeks. But that depends on what you have it connected to. When I have it feeding the psm156 it takes a little more than a week. Same with my desktop computer. But with a lps feeding a small device like a etherregen that only draws 0.5amps... that may not be enough in my opinion. The cable I used for the Hypsos was a neotech nep 3200.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #902 of 1,001
I’ve heard people mention a 200 hours. I have 2 ultimate cables and they are sounding more burned in after being hooked up to holo May/holo Red for a week or so. I’ve never been a burn in believer one way or the other, but I could definitely hear a very sharp bright sound when using the Ultimate cables brand new in my tube amp and headphone amp. Now however the tube amp has lost all the brightness when using that cable, and only the improvements in clarity remain.
Exactly what I experienced as well.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #903 of 1,001
Thanks gents.

I have my 2 PSM156 connected via Ultimate cables and my source devices with Classic plus.

This weekend I took the plunge and added 4 more ultimates. One for my Chord Dave and the other for my 2 Amps and AV Processor.

Unlike when I added the ultimate to my PSMs I didn’t notice any brightness or sharpness at all. Curious to see what if anything changes over the next few weeks but very happy so far.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #904 of 1,001
You may need more burn in on some of your cables it seems like. Maybe there isn't enough draw from some of your components to burn some of the cables in properly, like you mentioned before. I've had the same issue with a power cord on my ferrum hypsos lps. The power cord sounded completely different to a identical cord that was plugged into my amplifier. I had that power cord connected to the hypsos for months... You can see the amperage draw of the Hypsos to the device and it was only 0.5A being supplied to the device.

Those franken cables do look interesting.
That is interesting. Your making me question the Hypsos yet again. I have a Hypsos. I put a fully broken in IceAge 25A kraken on there and it was a nice upgrade. I also put a purple fuse in it at the same time. The Hypsos was problematic for me a few times, I have to get it separated just right or it's not happy. It likes to ground conflict with other things but it can be made to be happy with other equipment if ground flows out right for it even on the same outlet. Sometimes grounds need to be in front or behind the other thing in cases and then it's not an issue.

I use it for my Weiss DAC 204. [6 to 9 Volt, 1050mA at 6V, 700mA at 9V] My Hypsos numbers look a little strange to me but it sounds great. Nominal output 8.6V and 8.6W output power. Output voltage 9.1V Output current .9A. It sounded best this way after testing from 6-9V. I feel the Hypsos to be concerning in cases but it was an upgrade after that cable/fuse so I kept it

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #905 of 1,001
To those who bought a or know about the Routemaster. How many cables does it come with? which ones?
thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #906 of 1,001
To those who bought a or know about Routemaster. How many ca les does it come with? which ones?
thanks!
It comes with 3 to start with no extra charge, you can add on up to 6 more of the type you choose for $75 apiece. You also need to add a groundmaster or groundmaster city to it. I've got one for sale.

Routemaster often less is more if you have a big chain. I found it work best 3-5 digital grounds at one point once I had gone past 1 DAC/AMP in my chain. Once I had more I only liked to ground my 120W Nuc and DDC. I ran out of space for even grounding on my DDC so I don't use it. I was sad when I did though that one ground on my DDC was nice. I found mixing any types of grounds (chassis/analog/digital) or more than 6-7 ground in it was not good. I never saw anything good with grounding DACs. My analog tube amp sounded nice when I dedicated some grounds to that. All of this is after my system got bigger. If your system is small you can slap a bunch of stuff in it and it might be ok and I did that a long time ago but I wouldn't recommend it. If you use a real groundmaster it's probably different than using a groundmaster city, especially if your grid is polluted and doesn't suck the grounds out.

I noticed once I got these lines and big cables the grounds are just flowing, same sound no need. Really liked the thing in the past though when I needed it. I have so many dang cables it's also nice not adding more to the heap.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #907 of 1,001
That is interesting. Your making me question the Hypsos yet again. I have a Hypsos. I put a fully broken in IceAge 25A kraken on there and it was a nice upgrade. I also put a purple fuse in it at the same time. The Hypsos was problematic for me a few times, I have to get it separated just right or it's not happy. It likes to ground conflict with other things but it can be made to be happy with other equipment if ground flows out right for it even on the same outlet. Sometimes grounds need to be in front or behind the other thing in cases and then it's not an issue.

I use it for my Weiss DAC 204. [6 to 9 Volt, 1050mA at 6V, 700mA at 9V] My Hypsos numbers look a little strange to me but it sounds great. Nominal output 8.6V and 8.6W output power. Output voltage 9.1V Output current .9A. It sounded best this way after testing from 6-9V. I feel the Hypsos to be concerning in cases but it was an upgrade after that cable/fuse so I kept it
I really like the Hypsos. It's a linear power supply that is affected by different power cords as well. I'm looking at a Plixir statement lps now to power a Melco s100/2 that I have coming in soon. I'll definitely try the Hypsos first and if I don't like it, I'll probably try the plixir.

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #908 of 1,001
My system, with the PSM1512 and 9 ultimate cables sounds better than it ever has BY FAR. I have chosen not to connect my preamp and headphone amplifier to the 1512- but it has nothing to do with loss of dynamics but rather tonally things get a bit to transparent for me with a loss of solidity, although it is the cleanest sound I ever heard. Keeping all digital equipment including my home router and modem on the 1512 and the analogue stuff straight to the wall with the ultimate power cables provides the second cleanest sound I ever heard- but at the same time with the most focus, authority, solidity, and meaty. Again- not sharp at all. Smooth, solid, and rounded.

For anyone who can connect their home router/modem to the PSM- it is MIRACULOUS. For this one connection I used a regular hardware store thick guage cable as the modem is 6 meters away and I am not buyinga 6 meter unltimate cable- but this is the only exception in my system. Everything else is Ultimate cables.

There is no question the sound of my system is thinner than before (but not brighter, and in fact darker)- but the point is that it is correct to my ears. I switched back to my Topaz isolation transformer and also straight to the wall and the sound is thicker- but the thickness is from fuzz. The 1512 is just cutting the fuzz and leaving the music. It is so so much better, like day and night.

So- the sound is thinner, but not thin; rather correct. It is so edgeless, so round, so clean, so solid-- just delicious.- not bright, not sharp- just dead neutral... The Puritain is a miracle....... I'm using groundmaster city also- but I have no idea if it helps. I plan to just leave it where it is...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #909 of 1,001
Great to hear. Also, pretty amazing that the sound of your system improved even further when you plugged your modem and router into the PSM1512. I've avoided doing that because I assumed my digital components (DAC, streamer, etc.) would be too sensitive to the noise transmitted by the modem and router. I guess the PSM is doing a good job filtering all that out!

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #910 of 1,001
My system, with the PSM1512 and 9 ultimate cables sounds better than it ever has BY FAR. I have chosen not to connect my preamp and headphone amplifier to the 1512- but it has nothing to do with loss of dynamics but rather tonally things get a bit to transparent for me with a loss of solidity, although it is the cleanest sound I ever heard. Keeping all digital equipment including my home router and modem on the 1512 and the analogue stuff straight to the wall with the ultimate power cables provides the second cleanest sound I ever heard- but at the same time with the most focus, authority, solidity, and meaty. Again- not sharp at all. Smooth, solid, and rounded.

For anyone who can connect their home router/modem to the PSM- it is MIRACULOUS. For this one connection I used a regular hardware store thick guage cable as the modem is 6 meters away and I am not buyinga 6 meter unltimate cable- but this is the only exception in my system. Everything else is Ultimate cables.

Ther is no question the sound of my system is thinner than before (but not brighter, and in fact darker)- but the point is that it is correct to my ears. I switched back to my Topaz isolation transformer and also straight to the wall and the sound is thicker- but the thickness is from fuzz. The 1512 is just cutting the fuzz and leaving the music. It is so so much better, like day and night.

So- the sound is thinner, but not thin; rather correct. It is so edgeless, so round, so clean, so solid-- just delicious.- not bright, not sharp- just dead neutral... The Puritain is a miracle....... I'm using groundmaster city also- but I have no idea if it helps. I plan to just leave it where it is...
Awesome. Glad it worked out so well for you in the end. It did seem quite the leap getting 9 cables in one go given your intolerance for any thinness and uncertainty as to how it would pan out. Well played and well done staying the course during the burn-in of the cables and maybe your ears a touch too.

Interesting re the home modem/router. I'll have to try this (not that I have a spare sockets on my PSM156) vs my 12v Lifepo4 battery currently powering both them and the first of my switches.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #911 of 1,001
I tested my router in the PSM a few times a couple of weeks ago and I had no benefit just the same as the router plugged into a noisy place. I use 2 switches, 2 Lan silencers and FMC (Fiber noise removal). I used to notice sharp fatiguing energy getting into my streamer no doubt.

Great to hear. Also, pretty amazing that the sound of your system improved even further when you plugged your modem and router into the PSM1512. I've avoided doing that because I assumed my digital components (DAC, streamer, etc.) would be too sensitive to the noise transmitted by the modem and router. I guess the PSM is doing a good job filtering all that out!
Small SMPS do just nothing in my PSM no problem at all. Even medium and large ones usually don't. Really giant SMPS are bad though and will effect it. My router is 12V 2A and it had no effect.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #912 of 1,001
Interesting idea, though I’d need to buy another PSM, as the modem and router are upstairs. I could put my WiFi router on the dirty side PSM156. (Clean side is 1512.)

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #913 of 1,001
I think that as long as your Modem and Router are on a different circuit, getting them their own power conditioner is unlikely to deliver a whole lot of sonic benefits, but of course, I won't be surprised if someone here disagrees with me on that!

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #914 of 1,001
I think that as long as your Modem and Router are on a different circuit, getting them their own power conditioner is unlikely to To he audio one by deliver a whole lot of sonic benefits, but of course, I won't be surprised if someone here disagrees with me on that!
I think you are likely correct. And the router connects to the audio one by WiFi, of course.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #915 of 1,001
Mike Lester told me that if using the standard switching power supplies of my router and modem that it was "not clear" if it would benefit or harm my system to attach the modem and router to the PSM. This is because although the PSM has independant isolation between outlets, this isolation is not foolproof as in order to make it 100% with no leakage to other components, he would have needed to raise the resistance which would cause more damage than good. Therefore, leakage, however small from the poor quality switching PS of the router and modem could pollute the other components and cause more damage than good. He told me the only way to know is to try.

I however bought two Breeze Audio (ebay) ultra low noise (studer with talema transformers) linear power supplies for my modem and router. I think they were around $88 each. Now- obviously these are not the last word in power supplies- but they are low noise Linear power supplies and they are inexpensive and many report that they are 90% as good as the $500 stuff..

So my results are while using low noise linear power supplies on my modem and router and the PSM1512.

Also- I highly recommend https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2 betweeen router and PS and Modem and PS... Huge difference for very little money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back