Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #376 of 1,020
As an added data point, I went a slightly different route: I replaced all my power cables with Puritan Ultimates, but for the PC itself I went with a PS Audio P12. My reasoning was similar to what the last few posts were about, i wanted to Puritan goodness but without making my system too lean or overpowered. I feel the Ultimate cables/P12 PC combo achieves this. Also, the fact I lucked into a mint P12 for the same price as a Puritan 156 made my choice even easier :wink:

My system has opened up and i definitely hear a very audible uptick in dynamics, soundstage etc, but it has also retained the sweetness and delicacy my chain is known for. So with that combo, consider me a happy customer :wink:

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #377 of 1,020
My ear seems to think the 156 really robs my tube preamp of its magic--- but I will revisit this possibility in a few days when things evolve more.. I do have a regenerative power supply on my tube pre. audio-gd HE-1 vaccume version.-- thats about as good as it gets...
Hi, new here.
Just changed ”noise reducer” from another famous brand to Puritan 156.
Use VTL tube amp but It had never accured to me that power the amp direct from the wall socket, and not from the Puritan, could ”freshen” up the sound as it does. That didn’t happen with my former equipment.
I’m no technician but my ears work pretty good…
Overall a step up according to musical experience. So nice.

/Janne in Sweden

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #378 of 1,020
I removed my power plant from my signal and power chain. Took a ultimate cable that has been burned in for about 150 hours and plugged my desktop computer straight into the wall with the ultimate cable. This is the best my system sounded. The brand new ultimate cable sounded hollow and less dynamic pre burn in. Completely different post burn in.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #379 of 1,020
I am another joining the PSM 136 club. I'm very excited. I recently found out I have bad power as the sound gets rough at high traffic times of the day. It was driving me crazy until I figured it out.

So I want to buy an Ultimate XX cord after reading through this thread. I'm trying to figure out do I need a 15 amp or 20 amp cord. All I'm running is a Woo Audio WA6 SE for now but I was thinking I would break in the cable on my 1300 watt PC.

Can I use the Puritan Standard cable that comes with the PSM 136 as an upgrade cable for my WA6 SE headphone amp?

Aug 18, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #380 of 1,020
Can I use the Puritan Standard cable that comes with the PSM 136 as an upgrade cable for my WA6 SE headphone amp?
Unfortunetly no you cant, the input on PSM conditioners is a 20AMP socket, so you need a 20AMP kettle head which is bigger and chunkier than the standard kettle you see, which is 10AMP, I was faced with a similar dissapointment when I changed my cable to the classic+, though I did in the end go back to the standard classic on my 156 and return the classic+.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #381 of 1,020
If the chuckiness doesn't bother you the Pangea Audio AC 9SE MKII is a very good option. Plugged it to mine from the standard classic. And had a very nice uplift in SQ,

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #382 of 1,020
My ear seems to think the 156 really robs my tube preamp of its magic--- but I will revisit this possibility in a few days when things evolve more.. I do have a regenerative power supply on my tube pre. audio-gd HE-1 vaccume version.-- thats about as good as it gets...
Hi, does anyone know if there is a confirmed knowledge that tube amps does not ”work well” with any type of
power conditioners??

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #383 of 1,020
Hi, does anyone know if there is a confirmed knowledge that tube amps does not ”work well” with any type of
power conditioners??
subjective, I say, works well!

Attachments

• 1A8EC38A-EA60-4255-87D0-A3AD9379D25C.jpeg
    1A8EC38A-EA60-4255-87D0-A3AD9379D25C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #384 of 1,020
If the chuckiness doesn't bother you the Pangea Audio AC 9SE MKII is a very good option. Plugged it to mine from the standard classic. And had a very nice uplift in SQ,
I've been saying this forever. The pangea ac9se mk2's are some of the best power cords I've used for power strips, conditioners, and power amplifiers. Just pure unimpeded power and dynamics. Not that flexible but worth the trouble. They've beaten power cords costing many times over for me like Kimber Kable, Audioquest Thunder and Tornado, ifi supanova, and in some applications I preferred the pangea over neotech. It doesn't feel like it over filters the power too much which is also why it's such a dynamic sounding cord(it's also very clean/clear sounding, noise floor is lower with the pangea than with many other power cables). Connecting it to a power conditioner works extremely well and also to high current devices like amplifiers that require the raw power.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #386 of 1,020
Would like some advice from owners of the 156

So previously I had a set up that suffered from dreaded hum from both the AV Processor and the speakers themselves and did look at the Puritan units then but I was also planning a major room refurb which included replacing all my components and speakers.

I am over the moon with the new room and equipment. The gear is "high-end" and not only do I no longer suffer any kind of hum from the processor and amps (Trinnov) but the speakers are abisutley dead quiet when they are supposed to be, it's extremely dark. I also use the room for 2 channel listening using a Chord Dave & Mscaler with a Hifi Rose 130RS, which utilises a fibre optic SFP for streaming.

So my point is, given the electrical silence in my room and my satisfaction in the sound, would it be worth adding a 156? I don't "think" I have "dirty power" and the issue I had previously has gone completely BUT could I benefit any further with the Puritan? I know I'm reaching the realms of diminishing returns but if I could tweak any noticeable gains I would probably go for it with a city GM too.

Not easy to get a home demo with these things or a decent returns policy so it's a bit of a gamble purchase.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #387 of 1,020
I thought I too have a dead quiet system since I can't "hear" any humm or noise and satisfied what I was hearing. Until the PSM156 came, and thaught me what it means "dark quiet". Thought that was it. Changed my power cable later...and again...

Maybe that's why the rabbit hole runs deep.

Your call bro.

edit: spelling error (english is my 3rd language)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #388 of 1,020
I thought I too have a dead quiet system since I can't "hear" any humm or noise and satisfied what I was hearing. Until the PSM156 came, and thought me what it means "dark quiet". Thought that was it. Changed my power cable later...and again...

Maybe that's why the rabbit hole runs deep.

Your call bro.
That’s encouraging to hear. Thanks for your thoughts.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #390 of 1,020
My PSM156 is now around three weeks old and I wanted to share a very interesting discovery.

Honestly, no matter what components I hooked up to the 156, or did not, or what power chords I tried, I could not get rid of a certain "sterality" or "harshness" which I could not stand. I could manage it and lessen it in certain configurations- but at the end of the day it was there and no amount of detail, transparency, or sepration improvement could make up for this type of "over stripped and lifeless" presentation.

I was about to return the 156 and decided to try one more thing. All of my fuses in my system are the SR Purple- known for their warm full almost tubelike presentation; but I recently upgraded my DAC fuse to the new SR Master and the results were stunning. So good were the results that I then replaced the fuse in my DDC with a second Master fuse and IMHO the results were even better; just incredible detail and punch, and thickness of sound- exactly like I like it. Now- with the 156 in place, I thought maybe two SR Master fuses may too much- and this may be the cause of the problem. Some reviewers have reported that two Master fuses in on system are overly revealing- although I did NOT feel so at all before the 156 arrived. So- I replaced the Master fuse in my DAC with the old SR Purple fuse two days ago. I now was back to one Master fuse in my entire system- in my DDC. Well, all my problems seem to be COMPLETELY over. The "life " is back in my system. The sound is more tonally saturated and all harshness is gone. It seems like two master fuses in my system were just too much with the 156 in place... Everything is now more "right" than it has ever been before.

Wow. I thought everyone else just liked this type of ultra detiled harsh sound and I just had different musical tastes...... This was really a last minute save as I was very dissapointed in the 156 and coud not believe all the positive reviews until I made this last change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back