Pure sound quality, dollar per dollar, Headphones v. IEM
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dasadab

100+ Head-Fier
I know the question is somewhat loaded based on personal preferences, sound signature, portability. But, it's a serious question for me because I have really been moved by how well my Fostex TH-X00s sound coming from my new Lotoo Paw 6000 DAP. I have what I would call fairly high end speakers and a nice tube integrated amp--so I am not a pure newbie with audio, but I am new to the world of portable audio. I have a budget of around $1k to 1.5K to spend and because of Covid concerns, can't really audition any gear. So: All things being equal with the priority of beautiful sound, which form factor is going to deliver the most righteous sound quality--headphones or IEMs? (I have been considering the new FIR Audio 5x5, Andromeda IEMs, and the Fostex TH900s.)
Thanks for reading.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 4
I have been on a somewhat similar quest as you which is to find the best sound quality that meets my preferences in the form of IEM or headphones. I have tried and A/B tested dozens of headsets of all kinds and paired them with many amps. Now, I own 4 full sized headphones, 5 IEMs and 6 Amp and/or DACs. I am a value oriented buyer, so I really am most interested in price-performance. I like high end, but I am not stuck on it.

With that in mind, I have concluded that full sized headphones deliver the best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality for price paid. Headphones, due to their size, can deliver a much grander sound stage and it turns out that after hundreds of hours of listening, sound stage size and clarity are my most desired sound qualities. When I first started, I thought it was warmth. I have learned that I value sound stage and clarity over warmth. So, full sized headphones can better deliver that feature for me.

In addition, when you deal with IEMs, you always have to worry about ear tips and depending on the shape of your ears, you may have a difficult time finding a comfortable seal and fit. I tried custom ear tips and they work the best for me. But, I had to try out over a dozen different types and sizes of tips to figure out what worked best for me. Headphones you can determine fit within 15 seconds of trying them on.

The hardest part which also makes it the funnest part of this journey is learning all about sound and what different products do to change that sound ever so slightly. I must admit, I am tired of A/B testing and I plan to take a few months just to enjoy the music for a while.

Good luck with your quest. Lots of good advice here.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
I have been on a somewhat similar quest as you which is to find the best sound quality that meets my preferences in the form of IEM or headphones. I have tried and A/B tested dozens of headsets of all kinds and paired them with many amps. Now, I own 4 full sized headphones, 5 IEMs and 6 Amp and/or DACs. I am a value oriented buyer, so I really am most interested in price-performance. I like high end, but I am not stuck on it.

With that in mind, I have concluded that full sized headphones deliver the best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality for price paid. Headphones, due to their size, can deliver a much grander sound stage and it turns out that after hundreds of hours of listening, sound stage size and clarity are my most desired sound qualities. When I first started, I thought it was warmth. I have learned that I value sound stage and clarity over warmth. So, full sized headphones can better deliver that feature for me.

In addition, when you deal with IEMs, you always have to worry about ear tips and depending on the shape of your ears, you may have a difficult time finding a comfortable seal and fit. I tried custom ear tips and they work the best for me. But, I had to try out over a dozen different types and sizes of tips to figure out what worked best for me. Headphones you can determine fit within 15 seconds of trying them on.

The hardest part which also makes it the funnest part of this journey is learning all about sound and what different products do to change that sound ever so slightly. I must admit, I am tired of A/B testing and I plan to take a few months just to enjoy the music for a while.

Good luck with your quest. Lots of good advice here.
Incredibly helpful advice and insights. Thank you very very much.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 4
My opinion is that the purpose of an IEM is to be small and perhaps to offer strong isolation from outside noises. When those 2 aspects are not top of my priorities, I don't even consider IEMs. As simple as that.
And when I'm on the go and those 2 aspects are everything to me, I only reach for IEMs(small, strongly isolating ones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back