Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Nov 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #331 of 554

Quote:
Hey when I put my iPod on the i20 the volume goes down to 3 bars. Is this normal?

oddly you can still adjust the volume via either the ipod volume button, or the pure remote even if you're using the pure in pass through mode.. it defaults to half way volume, but if you turn it all the way up it will stay that way until you unplug the unit from the wall.  

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #333 of 554
If you are using the digital output of the i20, it does't matter where the volume on the iPod is set.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #335 of 554
The i20 has analog audio output as well.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #337 of 554

Quote:
The i20 has analog audio output as well.

I'm not sure if that was a response to my comment, but if it was, I am saying that even in digital pass through, when you are not using the internal dac, you are still able to adjust the volume.  

I have very little knowlege of digital, but i just find it odd that you can control the volume with the pure in that domain.. maybe its not odd at all...i dont know.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #338 of 554
If you can adjust the volume from the iPhone duing the Pure's iAP (iPod Accessory Protocol) communication, then somehow the communication software is allowing digital volume adjustment downwards. Leave the iPod at maximum volume to get bit-perfect iAP communication.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #339 of 554

Quote:
Hi, I'm a newbie and a car audio freak.
I've got an iPod classic 160gb 1st gen and an iPhone 4, playing mostly Apple Lossless files.

I can't seem to find any iPod DACs designed for car use, so I'm considering buying an i20 and make a custom mount for it on the dashboard.

I don't know if they use a separate DAC and or the digital out, but check out the Parrot RKi8400, Oxygen Audio O'car iPhone Autoradio or BossAudio 755DBI to name but a few.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #340 of 554

Quote:
I don't know if they use a separate DAC and or the digital out, but check out the Parrot RKi8400, Oxygen Audio O'car iPhone Autoradio or BossAudio 755DBI to name but a few.

Some interesting products but nothing to indicate digital out of the iphone connector, just standard analog.  I think the request here is to find a product that gets digital out of the iphone/ipod so that a higher end DAC can be employed.  I haven't heard of anything reasonably prices besides the i-20 so far.

By the way, has anyone opened one of these puppies up yet to see what is inside?

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #341 of 554
I just received mine this afternoon and works really good. Will pair it with a pair of Yamaha HS80M and in the future with a professional DA converter too.

Will post pics when the Yammies arrive this week.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #342 of 554
cool.

I bought the Wadia a while back, but in many ways this looks superior... CHEAPER, full digital output (coax!) and even has it's own build-in d/a for convenience? Perfect... the Wadia doesn't provide a d/a... just an analog pass-through.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #343 of 554
Frankly I find the Pure i20 to be far superior to the Wadia simply because of its added functionality, smaller footprint, and cheaper price. It does everything the Wadia does, and then some, for like half the price. You really can't argue with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back