Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Feb 21, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #362 of 554
Hi Fellows

I've bought a Uniross 2250mA AC/DC PSU to use with this. I've observed a strange behaviour yesterday. The audio channels have got swapped around when using the Optical/Coax connections. I've checked on the DAC, and then my O2 amplifier. Then I tried using the same old whistling PSU. It corrected the fault. Then I plugged in the Uniross PSU back in and this time around it was normal. Does anyone have a clue of what might have happened?

Thanks....

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #363 of 554
An interesting post khatch, with several possible answers; BwMr75's being one. (Btw, "Believe your ears" is surely good advice!).

Need more information. Can you detail the sonic differences you hear that makes the analog output/BCL combination better? Valuable information.

Cheers.

ps: Another possibility. The Lehmann (BC) was originally designed quite a few years ago. Dare I suggest it would naturally have been optimized to make the sources then available sound their best? Ironically, it might synergize better with what today would be considered mid-fi.

Quote:
Surprised and confused....

<snip>

So, totally confused by that result, I completely disconnected everything and just took the analog output from the Pure dock and pumped it directly into the Lehmann BCL amp - taking the DACmini out of the picture (both amp and DAC). 

Low and behold, it sounds better than any of the other combinations.

I'm open to your input, thoughts and recommendations.....how can this possibly BE?

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #364 of 554
@AiDee -

I really appreciate your comments.  This most definitely could just be one of those situations where, synergies being what they are and are not, the Pure i20 and BCL make good company.  As you suggest, it could certainly be related to the BCL being an older design, though I'm not really sure that classic circuit design really goes "out of style", per se.  I think part of it has to do with DAC design as well.  Let's face it, chip design being what it is, a 3 year old chip is a doorstop by today's standards.  In that light, a very low end DAC designed today can probably hold it's own with something made and sold for thousands more a few years ago.  That factor has to be driving audio manufacturers (especially the higher end) totally nuts - as it has to really mess with their marketing and strategic planning.  I think it will be very interesting to watch what your Schiit BiFrost evolves into - or what upgrade options become available for it.  Seems like a really smart move to me.  And as you noted yourself, the BiFrost is no slouch compared to your EE MiniMax.  For that kind of price differential, I would expect a much bigger, and very NOTICEABLE, delta.  But I think I'm expecting too much in this regard.

Funny thing - so I played around with my gear more today and eventually just plugged the Pure i20 straight into my Headamp GS-1.  Same result as with the BCL - sounds fantastic, to ME at least.  I took my BCL back home and returned the Centrance DACMini today.  Pretty sure the problem is both the DAC and the amp in that unit.  While it produced a really nice soundstage, it put a metallic "sheen" on everything it pumped out.  Very hard to describe, but for me it added a "tizzy" quality to the sound, especially strings.  And with as much chamber music as I listen too - that's a VERY bad thing.  I like good texture as much as the next guy, but a 300 year old cello should NOT sound like a steel stringed guitar, and that's what I was getting - through the HD650 no less....lol.

Now that I've opened this can of worms, I'm very curious to see how the Pure + GS-1 combo will stand up against the Anedio D2 I have on pre-order.

More on that later.

Quote:
An interesting post khatch, with several possible answers; BwMr75's being one. (Btw, "Believe your ears" is surely good advice!).

Need more information. Can you detail the sonic differences you hear that makes the analog output/BCL combination better? Valuable information.

Cheers.

ps: Another possibility. The Lehmann (BC) was originally designed quite a few years ago. Dare I suggest it would naturally have been optimized to make the sources then available sound their best? Ironically, it might synergize better with what today would be considered mid-fi.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #365 of 554
@khatch - all agreed. Great comments and observations.

Looking forward to your D2 findings in due course 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #366 of 554
Just for infirmation, in answer to my own question (did i-20 Dac run with every apps), I got a clear answer from Pure :

The SPDIF output on the i20 is an uninterrupted digital output, so if he uses the digital outputs on the i20 into a DAC he will have a pure digital feed.This is regardless of application.

I am impressed by there this company, they answer to all technical questions, I've never seen this !
Florent.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #367 of 554
I picked up an i-20 for a secondary system in a summer cottage.  [size=11pt]I compared the stock i-20 to the Onkyo ND-S1 with an upgraded power supply.  Very different sound even though both units tout direct digital signal to the dac.   I kept everything the same (interconnects, dac, amp) and everything plugged into the same power source.  I just switched out the dock to compare.[/size]

[size=11pt]The ND-S1 had a bigger sound stage by about 1/3 but less definition.  Sounded slightly mushy in comparison, but somewhat more musical and easier to listen to.  I found when I switched back to the ND-S1 after listening to the i-20, I missed the definition in the Pure dock, especially on vocals.   I think the ideal setup would be a combination of both of these units "sounds."  I am planning on sending my ND-S1 in for some mods later this month.  I am anticipating better definition and an even larger sound stage as a result.[/size]

[size=11pt]I think with a better PSU, the i-20 might gain that larger sound stage.  I'd be interested in if anyone had tried one yet.  Took me a while to find one for the ND-S1.[/size]

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #369 of 554
if you are not too heavy handed,an ipad fits also.

i find it useful for recharging my daughter's Ipad, with which i use a logitech app as the remote control for my squeezebox server.

i use this as a charging station quite often.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #371 of 554
Mar 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #372 of 554
Apr 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #374 of 554
I read through the thread but I'm a little confused. Can you bypass the DAC on the pure? 

It would look like this, 

Ipod > Pure > Bitfrost > Lyr > Headphones > ME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back