Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jul 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #301 of 554
I might get one of these. I have just bought a Yamaha RXV667 reciever. How should I connect this to the reciever?

Also is this better than the Yamaha dock YDS12? Didnt know if that would be better as have a Yamaha reciever.

Cheers
Colin

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #302 of 554
Quote:
I might get one of these. I have just bought a Yamaha RXV667 reciever. How should I connect this to the reciever?

Digital optical (TOSLINK), or digital coaxial (RCA) cable from the Pure i-20 to your receiver's corresponding digital inputs. This will use the Yamaha's DAC & output section instead, which is probably better.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #303 of 554
i got an i20 dock a week ago and sadly im getting the popping sounds during playback from the iphone 4 also. i got the unit replaced and the new one has the same problem too.

my setup is as follows:

amp - rega mira
speakers - b&w 686
speaker cable - qed xt350
phono cable - cambridge audio pacific interconnect

whilst I think the sound is good I connected the phone via 3.5mm to rca phonos lead to the amp and I must admit it sounded better without the dock .... to my surprise - sounded more lively than subdued with the dock and bass was richer. volume was also quieter via the dock than straight out ( volume was set to full on the dock).

whilst the i20 has rave reviews I'm feeling a bit dissappointed in my case..... is anyone else let down or has any advice ?

p.s i have tried restarting the phone, airplane mode etc and these didnt work.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #304 of 554
simba, do a full (i.e. double) reboot. Hold the top button and home button together until the screen goes dark and the apple logo appears, then let go and do it again immediately. That should solve the popping noises which are an iPod USB communication problem that also arises occassionally with the Solo.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #306 of 554
Hi I am unable to get video from the Pure Dock to my Yamaha rxv667. I have put the lead in and no video. What am I doing wrong?

I have component from Pure to reciever and thent the headphone lead from the pure to the 3 port in back of reciver

Anyone help?

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #307 of 554
[size=medium]IMPRESSIONS: Grado SP1000/NuForce Icon HDP/PURE i20[/size]
[size=medium]Greetings fellow HF’ers!   ‘Just dropped in again to see what’s happening on the HF forum .  I haven’t posted for about 20 months or so - last post was back in Feb ’09 after I’d just bought some Grado HP-1 ‘phones from a good friend I’ve known for many years.   He originally bought them new in ’88 for a grand total of $850.  I happened to notice, leafing through some of the  current threads, that there’s been interest in several components that I currently use- viz, the Grado PS1000,  NuForce Icon HDP headphone amp, and the PURE i-20 IPod stationI’m hoping that this (rather lengthy) post will serve as  an overview of how these components can be successfully integrated into a delightfully satisfying  listening experience – with some insight into how I perceive their resultant sonic qualities.[/size]
[size=medium] My prime headphone listening station is:  Toshiba Laptop>Audioquest USB  cable>NuForce Icon HDP>PS1000 .  I have two i-20s, used as follows:  One is used as an alternative input source to my headphone listening station – as a replacement for the Toshiba laptop.  Configuration is: IPod Classic (80gb)>PURE i-20> >AudioQuest toslink cable>NuForce HDP>PS1000 .   The other i-20, interconnected into my living room stereo system,  is: IPod Classic (80gb)>PURE i-20>Audioquest toslink cable>Integrated HK Receiver (or McIntosh Preamp>McIntosh Amp)>surround sound in-ceiling speaker system[/size]
[size=medium] By the way, I had the Grado HP-1 for about a year and a half when the friend I bought these cans from lamented that he wished he’d never sold them…and (pitifully) asked if I’d consider selling them back to him at 15% more than I paid him for them.  He was truly pathetic in his dismay over having given up those grand old ‘phones.  Even though I cherished these cans, I honestly emphasized with him - and sold them back to him for the same price I previously had paid him because he’s always been a revered friend.  He assured me that whenever I wanted to “borrow” them, that he would be glad to accommodate me.  He was happy; but I was sad – because I would sorely miss the HP-1 in the coming weeks because of the spectacular sound I’d come to know and love.   But, I felt like I did the right thing.  So…I decided to take the plunge and bought the Grado SP1000 from The Listening Station (Bill-The Headphone Guy) several months ago.  I also bought the NuForce HDP and a Grado SR-80i  (used primarily for foreign language study) from Bill at the Listening Station.  I got the i-20’s from PURE North America.   Incidentally, Bill (The Headphone Guy) is a prince of a fellow and has been an outstanding merchant to do business with.  This guy really cares about his customers and goes the extra mile to make sure they are satisfied.  So, all that being said, just what do I think of these sonic gadgets?  [/size]
[size=medium]IMPRESSIONS:  PS1000 vs HP-1:  It’s estimated that the HP-1 cans that I owned (for too short a time) have no less than 2000-2500+ hours on them – so they are well-used, vintage transducers.  When I first got the PS1000 and the NuForce HDP, both were brand new (as well as the AudioQuest USB cable) and, frankly, after setting up the collective rig I anticipated great things, to say the least.  But, I will have to admit that even though the sound was truly excellent from the git-go, I was a bit disappointed – because I expected at least the equivalent of the mature, refined Grado sound I had experienced through the HP1 (driven through the Headphone Out from my McIntosh preamp.  There just seemed to be something lacking; but it was hard to pinpoint.  Little did I realize that “burn in” of these components could make such a significant difference in the sonic quality of this rig.[/size]
[size=medium] After well over 250 hours of natural listening burn-in for the integrated rig, the PS1000 presents an incredible listening experience when driven by the NuForce HDP and continues to bring a smile to my face every time I think back on my initial skepticism regarding the potential musicality of this duo.  I must be candid in saying that I did not use the HP-1 in tandem with the NuForce HDP  for comparison - having returned those ‘phones to their original owner before buying the new rig (note:   as an aside, my buddy lives in New Orleans and I live in Baton Rouge).  However, I can attest to the fact that the two ‘phones have more similarities than differences!  -  very much the Grado “house sound” (you’re effectively onstage amidst the musicians) that  I’ve come to love with the HP-1.  Very, very involving!   I can’t say that the PS1000 at this point significantly outclasses the HP-1 (because it does not), but, if pressed to choose between the two, I would opt for the SP1000 with no hesitation at all as being the clear ‘phones of choice for the type of music I like best (jazz, rock, sax and piano instrumentals, male and female vocals, chamber music, concertos, and particularly, Bach organ, to name just a few).  My music files are mostly Apple lossless; but I have a large number of 320kb mp3s as well (which my wife says is perfect for her) - which ain’t bad to say the least.  I’m definitely not a “base head”; but I do like well-controlled, tightly articulated base – which the SP1000 provides in ample measure.   The HP-1 is not exactly a slouch here, but SP1000 wins hands down in the lower registers, without a doubt.  I can hear clearly-articulated, solid, double base from the SP1000 in some recordings, which the HP-1, in my judgment, would mightily struggle to replicate. [/size]
[size=medium] There is tough competition between the two ‘phones in the mid range; and here, there is no overall winner, in my opinion, because the articulation is clean and pure on both ‘phones.   I do solidly and unequivocally prefer the PS1000 in the higher end of the upper registers, however.  The higher notes of the piccolo on some ensemble recordings are clearly rendered better by the SP1000.  As it turns out, the  SP1000 seems to me to be a sort of Jack of All Trades, and pretty much,  Master of All.  Again, I haven’t  done an A/B comparison with both ‘phones on the same NuForce HDP rig; so a lot of this is simply my brain’s recollection of how the HP-1 sounded to me coming out of my Macintosh preamp Headphone Out – so there is considerable subjectivity here regarding a true analytic comparison.  Please take these comments as such.  Both sound very similar in the midrange through my McIntosh preamp; but  the SP1000[/size] seems to have more “reach” , both upward and downward – and hence provides more enjoyable listening to a wider variety of music.   But, I will add that I would be totally happy with either set of ‘phones for the kind of music I listen to - and of that, I am sure.  All said, I am now unequivocally happy with my decision to abandon the HP-1 and embrace the SP1000!  One more thing – I have never owned any other brand of headphones except Grado, so, in some folks’ eyes I would not qualify as a bona-fide critic of phones of any ilk - nor would I purport to be. 
[size=medium] Further, even though considerably heavier than the HP-1, I find the SP1000 to be at essentially an equivalent comfort level to wear for long listening sessions (several hours or more).   Neither phone can truly be called “comfortable” in my judgment.   The kind of pressure exerted on the head/ears between the two phones is just different.   You will notice the substantial presence of both.   The sound is so good,  however,  that one tends to ignore any apparent discomfort.   No question about that.  The build quality of the SP1000 is, unfortunately, not up to that of the HP-1.  I particularly liked the set screws on each side of the HP1’s more substantial ‘phone suspension bars (encased in metal mini-holders - rather than the plastic ones on the SP1000) to allow the ‘phones to stay at the same height without further adjustment.  The HP-1’s phase switches had little or no value to me except to hear what an “out of phase” sonic presentation sounded like (horribly mushy and muted).  For listening in-phase – all one has to do is put one switch up and the other down – no matter which.[/size]
[size=medium]IMPRESSIONS: NUFORCE Icon HDP Headphone Amp:  Unfortunately, I have nothing else to compare this device with – and only use it as a headphone amp for the SP1000 via the USB connection port using an AudioQuest Cinnamon cable).  In this capacity it is nothing short of marvelous.   The device works impeccably, is solidly built, and easily lives up to its reputation of being a stellar higher-end performer.  The impedance of the SP1000 is such that I usually run the HDP between 10:00 and 11:00 for my optimum listening level.   Totally quiet background and loads of headroom reserve.  The unit feels extremely solid and well-put-together.  It is, obviously a highly capable, multifaceted piece of audio gear.  I intend to live with this little guy for a long time with no worry about moving up.  It’s that good!   The HDP is so easy to use on an end table next to your sofa because of the surprisingly small footprint.  Do not hesitate to use this amp with your SP1000. You won’t be sorry! Put your ‘phones on a WOO Audio adjustable headphone stand and you’re all set.   [/size]
[size=medium] If one considers the new Stax 009 headphones running through a WOO WES amp to be the new state-of-the-art sound stage, then the system I currently have (and have talked about herein) might aptly be described as the “poor man’s setup”.  But this poor man is, indeed, a happy poor man –and, as I said, without further delusions about moving up to “better” headphone listening experience.  I like where I am – and I’m definitely sure I’ll be content with this gear for the foreseeable future.[/size]
[size=medium]IMPRESSIONS:  PURE 1-20 IPod dock+:  In my prime stereo system, this little jewel makes the IPod Classic sound like a very expensive CD player connected to my HK integrated amplifier via toslink.  I am totally awed by how well the digital signal pass-through from the IPod Classic succeeds – and the resulting sound is simply superb played through my 6ch surround system.  The little remote control directs the system effectively, if not instantaneously.  There seems to be a very slight delay in response from the i-20 with respect to button presses from the remote.  However, that’s quite OK with the way I use my system.  Incidentally the folks at PURE (UK) and the US Office supporting PURE products offer outstanding customer support.  I bought my i-20 from PURE USA.  When I emailed them informing them that I couldn’t get a dependable handshake between the i-20 and its remote (couldn’t pinpoint which was at fault – the i-20 or its remote), they immediately shipped me out a complete new i-20 system and another remote – telling me to keep the components that played together – along with a prepaid label to send the components that were suspected of not working properly back to them.   Now that’s good PR and solid customer service if I’ve ever seen it!  I absolutely love the functionality and musicality of the IPod/I-20 combination in my prime music system and would heartily recommend it to anyone who prefers listening to continuous music – without having to get up and change CD’s.  The little I-20 does everything is says it can do – and with extremely satisfying results.   I can recommend it highly. [/size]

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #309 of 554
Ordered on 8/3, received email indicating I'd get a confirmation email once it shipped. Hadn't received the email as of Monday so I contacted Customer Service. They said they had sent the order to the fullfillment house 8/3 and I'd receive an email when it shipped...

Tuesday afternoon it arrived. As of this writing I still haven't received the shipment confirmation email. But who cares?

I really like this. I use toslink to Grant TubeDAC-09 tube-out to MP301-MK2 to Infinity RSb.

Sound quality very nice. And so far I have observed it resolves the issue that iPhone's have due to their lack of Adobe Flash support. Previously, if a youtube video is in Flash it wouldn't play on the iPhone (so you don't get the audio either). With the i-20, the display shows "TV Connected. The video is playing on the TV" and the audio plays on. I had been contemplating a jailbreak, etc, but now it's not needed.

Non-Flash videos are sharp. I need to come up with a secure cushion arrangement where I can rotate the iPhone/i-20 90 degrees so I get the larger display.

Still figuring out the remote. Is the dock "always on"? 

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #310 of 554
I originally ordered an i20 in May, with shipping through regular post, just before the Canada Post strike. The dock never got here, and over the last couple of months I've sent a couple of emails to Pure's customer service. Just a few days ago, they gave me a refund, which I am very glad for.

I have no idea why it never got here, but I'd like to report that my experience with Pure's customer service was a good one. I've been thinking of ordering another dock, but this time going with full courier delivery. I'm never going to be cheap with shipping again. It's too frustrating and potentially error prone for the little money you save.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #311 of 554
For a while I could hear a high pitched noise in my room and I realised it's coming from the Pure I20's power plug. I don't think this is normal as it wasn't there initially. Does anyone else's emit a High pitched noise?

I'm thinking of contacting Pure to ask for a warranty replacement, will I need to send the current one to them? Hope not considering it's just a plug.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #313 of 554
If you hear clipping, try turning off your iphone. Just hold down the on/off button (button on the right of the top of the phone) until it turns off. Then press the button again to turn it on. This should solve the problem. Resetting the phone using iTunes also works, but it takes a lot longer.

I am hoping this issue is fixed in iOS5. I only had it happen once in iOS4 for me, so it will take a while to figure out. One thing that I do like in iOS5 is that the volume indicator now shows up on the phone when docked, so you can get visual confirmation that you are at max volume.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #314 of 554
got my pure-i20 today - its the first of three components that will soon make up my "ultimate" setup for qutie a while imagine - that setup will be pure-i20 digital out to cavalli audio stacker II to LCD-2 rev2
at the moment however, I am using the LCD2-rev2's with my RSA SR71B balanced out and an LOD.

I have spent the last 45 minutes or so a/bing back and forth with 2 devices - an ipod touch 4g, and an iphone 4 - docked to the pure i-20 and the other playing through a LOD. Matched volumes exactly, and switching in under 1 second.

I should note that i did this same test a week or so ago only one had the LOD and the Other had the Cypher Labs Algorhythm solo.  I was painstaking with my comparison, and after hours and hours i gave in.. there was absolutely no difference.  Neddless to say i promptly sold the CLAS.

The pure i-20 vs the LOD is a tough call, but I'm gonna give it to the LOD on this one.  The i-20 seems a bit grainy compared to the LOD.. meaning that the music sounds a bit rougher - sand-papery.
I should say that relatively speaking, the 71B is not the most revealing amp in the world.. for example if I had the Stacker II in front of me I'd wager that i would be able to pick out differences better.  I guess i'll be able to report back on that one in a month or two when its finished being "reborn".

lucky for me, and probably for most people, I bought the i-20 with the intention of using it solely as a transport for another dac, so I really dont care how its internal dac sounds.  I just did this comparison out of curiosity.

this does however lead me to believe that either the CLAS is an utter scam, or that the ipod's Line out is darn good!

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #315 of 554
Hi there,
I just want to say something about this pure thing.

been using it for couple moths now, but I don't use analog out because it is not as good as my cd player (analog out).

so I try as a transport to compare with Wadia and Onkyo, well the pure sounds not as good as wadia nor Onkyo in general.

I wonder if anyone has done "mod" this pure ?????? and how is it sounds ?

the reason I bought this is because this can be use a transport of Ipod which I though it must be good.
but I'm dissapointed, because I have Wadia and I thought it should not make a big difference. but it is.

looking forward how to modify this thing ? with better X'tal ? 
cal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back