Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Mar 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #542 of 554
My iPod classic has finally reached the end of the line, so I'm going to move into the streaming world. Can anyone recommend a DAC along the lines of the i-20 (similar price point hopefully) that will accept an iPhone SE for input?

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #543 of 554
  My iPod classic has finally reached the end of the line, so I'm going to move into the streaming world. Can anyone recommend a DAC along the lines of the i-20 (similar price point hopefully) that will accept an iPhone SE for input?

Key problem is going to be getting the Apple certification.

If you're willing to use one of the Apple-provided (Lightning to USB or Lightning to USB 3) cables, then you have a world of options for USB DACs.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #545 of 554

My main goal is to bypass the iPhone's built-in DAC as cheaply as possible so I can use the one in the HDVD800. For now, I'm content just using the DAC in the HDVD800, it's  good enough for my ears :)

You don't need a DAC for that - even the i20 was only working as a DDC. No Digital to Analogue Conversion happens when you stream from the iDevice into another DAC.

Still, dedicated DAC and DDC devices sort of fell in popularity in iOS due to how the Camera Connection Kit allowed for USB Audio to work. Initially this was on the iPad, but eventually enabled for the iPhone on iOS7. You can check in this thread and ask if it works - if not for the iPhoneSE + HDVD800 combo specifically (ie USB power draw or driver requirements can be a problem even if the host iOS or Android device normally works) then at least you can check first if the iPhoneSE actually does this too. If it does then try the camera connection kit. If it works, then just get a sync dock to keep your iPhoneSE upright.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #546 of 554
Note too that I listed two different variants of the CCK. True, the first one relies on power strictly from the iPhone. But the second one feeds power from the USB charger, and allows the iPhone to simultaneously be charged. Most DACs works perfectly from the second CCK I listed.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #547 of 554
  Note too that I listed two different variants of the CCK. True, the first one relies on power strictly from the iPhone. But the second one feeds power from the USB charger, and allows the iPhone to simultaneously be charged. Most DACs works perfectly from the second CCK I listed.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused about how the device would power the iPhone and also transmit the audio when it only has 1 USB connection.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #548 of 554
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused about how the device would power the iPhone and also transmit the audio when it only has 1 USB connection.

Sure, but to be certain we are talking about the same product, here's the link to the 2nd version I mentioned:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

If you look at the bottom, it has inputs for connection to the USB DAC and connection to the original Apple Lightning cable (plugged into a power source). Then the top plugs directly into the iPhone (or iPad). Power goes into both the iPhone and the USB DAC. And music is fed from the iPhone into the USB DAC.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #549 of 554
  Sure, but to be certain we are talking about the same product, here's the link to the 2nd version I mentioned:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

If you look at the bottom, it has inputs for connection to the USB DAC and connection to the original Apple Lightning cable (plugged into a power source). Then the top plugs directly into the iPhone (or iPad). Power goes into both the iPhone and the USB DAC. And music is fed from the iPhone into the USB DAC.

Oh thanks for clarifying. I totally missed the lightning input it had; I thought that was an SD slot or something camera-related.

Now there remains the whole issue of audio clarity from the streaming sources themselves...

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #550 of 554
179DECBB-75B8-4403-8CDB-D1A160B68C93.jpeg

Call me old school but I’m still using mine as a dedicated player in my shop. Connected to a separate Enlightened Audio Design DAC to an old integrated Jolida tube amp. Still sounds really good, I love the sound coming out of it but also getting very long in the tooth. It still syncs iTunes music from my other apples but it’s also very slow when navigating.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #551 of 554
Is anyone else still using the Pure DAC ?

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #552 of 554
I am

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #553 of 554
I still have one hooked up as a transport, can't say I'm using it that much these days tho.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #554 of 554
I still have one hooked up as a transport, can't say I'm using it that much these days tho.
I've been trying to use it in my shop but time to move on. Old 30 pin players just keep crashing or too slow. My mistake was updating the OS. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back