Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #436 of 554
Quote:
For best audio quality have the i20 volume at Max, in theory I think this is bit perfect.  Adjust the volume with your amp.

+1

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #437 of 554
So, I've been working to suppress stray noise, induced noise, and power supply noise in my WA3+ and noticed a weird phenomena between the I-20 and the Woo. When I touch just the tip of my headphone plug (HD 550) to the ring of the jack on the woo I can hear a faint 'snick' and 120Hz background on the level of bearly perceptible. This is with power off on the Woo. If I disconnect the I-20, it vanishes. It also goes away when I unplug the wall wart for the I-20. I'm assuming this is some sort of ground loop or PS noise from the wart. Tried all kinds of plugology and it persists. The part I found really weird is I can hear it with only one pole of the headphones connected. Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #438 of 554
Quote:
So, I've been working to suppress stray noise, induced noise, and power supply noise in my WA3+ and noticed a weird phenomena between the I-20 and the Woo. When I touch just the tip of my headphone plug (HD 550) to the ring of the jack on the woo I can hear a faint 'snick' and 120Hz background on the level of bearly perceptible. This is with power off on the Woo. If I disconnect the I-20, it vanishes. It also goes away when I unplug the wall wart for the I-20. I'm assuming this is some sort of ground loop or PS noise from the wart. Tried all kinds of plugology and it persists. The part I found really weird is I can hear it with only one pole of the headphones connected. Thoughts?

Yeah that sounds like hum coming from the i20 wart. You can buy a universal power adapter from walmart for $15, probably much cheaper on amazon too.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #439 of 554
Quote:

If the Woo has a three pin, try a cheater plug.  You may also try new interconnects to the i20.  If you have shielded interconnect that is connected on both ends of the shield instead of just the source end that might also be causing a ground loop.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #440 of 554
I am thinking about one of these units,has anyone tried using a 5 ft dock extension cable and held there Idevice in there hand and navigated that way.To me that would be the easiest way to use my ipod??Something like this.....http://www.amazon.com/Connector-Extender-Extension-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004BJLXAM

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #442 of 554
Quote:
I am thinking about one of these units,has anyone tried using a 5 ft dock extension cable and held there Idevice in there hand and navigated that way.To me that would be the easiest way to use my ipod??Something like this.....http://www.amazon.com/Connector-Extender-Extension-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004BJLXAM

GIve it a shot and let us know :)

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #444 of 554
Quote:

It should work I don't see why not. If you buy the i~20 from Amazon along with the extension cable, and should it not work, return it. It will cost you a few dollars in shipping is all. But I think it will.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #445 of 554
Quote:
Found a nice perk using Apple's "Home Sharing" to my old iPhone 4, I can stream my 88 and 96KHz content to the phone and it appears to be outputing 24 bits via SPDIF...

Have you confirmed conclusively that your 24/96 files are not being downsampled before they reach the DAC? You would be the first person ever (but I would love it if you were!).

This is the elusive holy grail for the Pure i-20 that I've been pursuing for a year and half like Captain Ahab without confirmation:  Can the iPhone (not the iPad, which already has been confirmed earlier in this thread) pass bit-perfect 24/96 audio to the i-20 DAC and/or external DAC without being downsampled? The only way to test this conclusively, I think, is to connect one of the external DACs that can display the resolution of the SPDIF signal it is receiving (for example a little indicator light next to "24/96" gets illuminated).

I think there's a chance this might work with third-party apps that can (at least in theory) decode 24/96 audio (such as 8player, which does do it on the iPad), but I haven't found any conclusive proof or examples in 18 months of searching. The problem, of course, is that unlike the iPad -- which has native support for decoding 24/96 ALAC files -- the iPhone officially supports only up to 24/48.

If anyone has an iPhone, i-20, and an external DAC that displays the resolution of the SPDIF signal it receives, please please please, do a service to humanity (or at least this human) and confirm whether you're able to get 24/96 files out of the iPhone that way. I think this would blow a lot of peoples' minds. Really.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #447 of 554
Quote:
This is the elusive holy grail for the Pure i-20 that I've been pursuing for a year and half like Captain Ahab without confirmation:  Can the iPhone (not the iPad, which already has been confirmed earlier in this thread) pass bit-perfect 24/96 audio to the i-20 DAC and/or external DAC without being downsampled? 

Unfortunately from everything I've read a iPod is incapable of playing anything higher than 16/44, its just not built to from Apple. I am not sure about Rockboxed units.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #448 of 554
Quote:
Unfortunately from everything I've read a iPod is incapable of playing anything higher than 16/44, its just not built to from Apple. I am not sure about Rockboxed units.

Not sure about very old iPods, but I can confirm that all iPhones and iPod Touches (dating back at least to the Touch 2G, if not the original) play 24/48 files natively with the stock player with no re-sampling. That doesn't mean the internal DAC is doing it justice, but all the bits are there and being processed.

Now my obsession is trying to make 24/96 squeak through the iPhone by using a third-party player app and a digital transport to bypass the iPhone's decoding software and DAC hardware altogether. I wish there were a guru I could go to for this kind of question. Preferably one who accepts Blue Shield.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #450 of 554
My phones used to charge, now I get intermittent messages that "Charging is not supported for this device."  It seems to have been with the last iOS update.  Anyone have a similar experience, and if so know a workaround?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back