Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #406 of 554
Perfect - thanks AiDee and mrspeakers! I am tempted by the 160Gb classic as it's close to the capacity of (my ever growing) music collection but then again I don't mind changing albums every now and again by resyncing (who can listen to 160Gb of music in one session??).

I like the look of the touch but you're paying high dollars for a lot less storage than the classic when afterall it's only use is bit storage (for me).

The other option is ipad2 or ipad mini which I've had my eye on for a while (useful for other things as well).

Is anybody running an ipad mini on the i-20. I realise I would have to use an adapter to go from lightening to 30 pin (damn you apple...)?

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #408 of 554
Quote:
Another consideration for device choice is Home Sharing via iTunes, for which you need an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad with wifi.  

With Home Sharing you can also get streaming of your main music library.  I have a TB of music, now I don't have to worry about what's actually on the device on the i20, I have my whole library including my 24/88 and 24/96 material.

And I still mainly use MediaConnect on my iPhone4 to listen to FLAC via the Pure i-20. Like you said in your post you will need an iPod etc with wifi and something that streams the Flac to it. Foobar 2000 with a server plug-in (software) for computers for instance, and most NAS models also have some streamer-server options. My Qnap has an UPnP-server, a music server and it even has an iTunes server. If it streams via wifi, you can use it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #410 of 554
Quote:
I have been finding home sharing to be flaky. How is MediaConnect?

I can use mediaconnect fine for playing music, but only the options Media Library/folder work really well in combination with Foobar. Indexing of artist etc. does not work well. Only iTunes indexes well, and that does not work with flac. The other streaming servers I tried can't cope with a large library (get realy sluggish, or just quit working at all). I should make 2 or more smaller libraries I guess.

I typically make a playlist to listen to or select a song from an album. Then all the songs from the album that are in the same folder are played. (You can make a playlist of sorts by copying all the songs you want to listen to in one folder ... ) Sometimes the wifi gets interupted - It does not happen often, but it does happen occasionally. Setting the buffersize as large as possible reduces it significantly. But wifi is like that in my house, it is no fault of the Pure i-20 or the software.

One thing that can be annoying (classical or live recordings) is the gap between playing songs. I wish I could set that.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #411 of 554
Huh...so...I bought one of these things and I put my 5G iPod Video on it just to discover that it's incompatible.

Dammit.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #413 of 554
Quote:
Funny. Works for my iPhone 5 with adaptor and iPad 3 (charges, too)...

Nah, not the iPhone 5, the fifth gen iPod Video.

It's my fault for not checking but...still...ouch.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #414 of 554
Help!    the compatibility of iphone 5 and [size=12.800000190734863px]Adapter[/size][size=12.800000190734863px]   [/size]whether it will transmit a digital signal without conversion through this adapter?
will it be 100% digital signal from the docking station Pure i-20     
100% compatibility with iphon 5? 

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #415 of 554
Yes, if it's an Apple.  No promises for the clones, I've heard a lot of problems for them on Amazon, so I plunked the bucks for the Apple adaptor.  It charges fine, too.  I drive a BiFrost/Lyr stack with it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #416 of 554
Hi all,
first post here and definitely not an audiophile, or at least don't have the equipment to be one. but I was looking for a solution to input my ipod classic to a soundbar system for my living room tv and found this thread. It seems this thing is the perfect solution and then some. But I have a question regarding the digital out and whether it will work in my situation. The system (panasonic htb550) has optical input and HDMI, no analog. I'mg getting that system because all my other components are panny and they work together. So I'm not sure if the digital out from this thing will work and I have no choice for analog. I guess the main question is whether the panasonic has a DAC. It is powered so I'm thinking it must, but I'm totally uninformed about this topic.
I'm blown away by the knowledge here. I have a lot of catching up to do just for learning sake, although I'll probably never have 50K to spend on equipment.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #417 of 554
The Panny has an optical input and can handle this.  How it's configured is another question I can't answer.  Any HTB-type system must have DACs in it, as all DVD, blu-ray and streaming media contains digital audio.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #418 of 554
Yeah, I knew the optical physical connections would work but not sure about the conversion. The soundbar system states "Anti-Jitter Digital Amplifier" in its specs (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-HTB550?t=specs) and I figure that must mean it has a DAC, right? If it does I guess another question is how good it is. Seems the built in DAC in the i20 is pretty good, so I actually wish the soundbar had some analog inputs.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #419 of 554
Does anyone know if I can hook the pure i-20 directly to my emotiva external amp and control the volume with the remote or will I need a preamp to control the volume? I've tried some basic iPod docs but they wont let me control the volume and I wanted to see if this would work before buying a receiver with a pre amp output. Thanks

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #420 of 554
I can control volume to my WA3 over the analog out via the iPod. The i20 remote controls the volume also. Not sure what effect it has over the toslink.

Does anyone know if I can hook the pure i-20 directly to my emotiva external amp and control the volume with the remote or will I need a preamp to control the volume? I've tried some basic iPod docs but they wont let me control the volume and I wanted to see if this would work before buying a receiver with a pre amp output. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back