pure audio blue-ray
Jun 6, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
What's the desire for a Blueray format when flash storate exists allowing for much more capacity and no moving parts? Unless I'm missing something, the whole blueray, cd, sacd, thing has been obsolete since Nintendo invented the videogame cartridge.

For me, it has nothing to do with ease/functionality nor storage capacity.  
Listening on a standalone cd-player feels much more personal and makes for a better music-listening experience than going through albums on my PC.  

And I LOVED those Nintendo cartridges.  Still up to this day.. I hate having to wait for maps to load on a disc.  

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #17 of 24
The only fair comparison between SACD and CDDA is to compare an original DSD recording on SACD player which converts DSD to analog without PCM encoding. Then listen to both layers, the DSD and the PCM.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
For me, it has nothing to do with ease/functionality nor storage capacity.  
Listening on a standalone cd-player feels much more personal and makes for a better music-listening experience than going through albums on my PC.  

And I LOVED those Nintendo cartridges.  Still up to this day.. I hate having to wait for maps to load on a disc.  

I use a dedicated solid state drive for World of Warcraft!

Back on topic, you could always play the little shiny discs on a PC.  Works for me.  (Though I have a number of favorite albums ripped to hard drive.)  I also use the PC for watching Blu-ray.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
The only fair comparison between SACD and CDDA is to compare an original DSD recording on SACD player which converts DSD to analog without PCM encoding. Then listen to both layers, the DSD and the PCM.

According to Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/180/index14.html not all hybrid discs are mastered the same for both layers.  I don't have enough hybrid discs for a valid test.  I never had the sense that SACD's sounded worse than CD's, but I stopped buying SACD's a long time ago.  Maybe there is some effect with what filter is used on the CD side?  My player has a number of different filters to choose from.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
What's the desire for a Blueray format when flash storate exists allowing for much more capacity and no moving parts? Unless I'm missing something, the whole blueray, cd, sacd, thing has been obsolete since Nintendo invented the videogame cartridge.

Very simply, that a Blu-Ray can hold over 50GB of data and can be produced in quantity for under $1.  Even mass producing flash storage that can hold that much data is still extremely expensive.  The cheapest 64GB flash drive I could find was around $50, which means you might be able to buy them wholesale for $20 - $25.  If flash storage drops in price to the cost of producing a Blu-Ray it could very well replace spinning discs. 

Also, keep in mind that the raw components used to make the flash storage are finite, natural resources.  We are already running low on some critical elements and therefore prices can only drop so much.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  I was just reading an article on this.  If we exhaust our supply, which would be very possible if flash storage was mass produced on the scale of movie and music distribution, we will have to look to other elements and new technologies to replace them.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
According to Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/180/index14.html not all hybrid discs are mastered the same for both layers.

It's quite possible. But I have many SACDs, original DSD recordings made by different labels and on all of them the SACD is far better than the Red Book layer. And if it's different mastering why they always make the CDDA layer worse?
 Anyway, everyone of us has his own tastes...

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
It's quite possible. But I have many SACDs, original DSD recordings made by different labels and on all of them the SACD is far better than the Red Book layer. And if it's different mastering why they always make the CDDA layer worse?
 Anyway, everyone of us has his own tastes...

I never meant I thought CD's sound better than SACD's.  What I said was:  " I convinced myself that CD's through my computer's sound card sound better than my SACD."  The same CD's sound better to me played from the computer's optical drive and sound card than when played on my Sony SCD-1 SACD player.  Same amp and headphones.  Sorry if there was misunderstanding.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Shame on you fjf. Trying to hijack this thread with old arguments. If that is what you want to talk about I am sure you can find many threads on the subject.

I am also a fan of physical media and would love it if BD audio actually came to maturation.

Now...you made me so sad....

Now, seriously, this gets silly.  We already have a good audio format we cannot distinguish from the real music, and still we want something else, more esoteric, and (of course) more expensive, because we'll have to pay royalties to Sony...But on the other hand, people pay thousands for esoteric cables...this should be expected...

WHY OH WHY WE DON'T JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC?

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
I never meant I thought CD's sound better than SACD's.  What I said was:  " I convinced myself that CD's through my computer's sound card sound better than my SACD."  The same CD's sound better to me played from the computer's optical drive and sound card than when played on my Sony SCD-1 SACD player.  Same amp and headphones.  Sorry if there was misunderstanding.

Which sound card? Because for it to exceed an SCD-1 playing a DSD mastered SACD it would have to be pretty darn good to say the least.

But Pure Audio Blu-Ray should match or exceed SACD just on the theoretical side. 1-bit DSD has its issues and 192/24 doesn't have them. Took SACD over DVD-A because of audible watermarking and downmixing of 2 channel audio from 5 channel. Pure Audio better not come with those issues. Some new copy protection will be forced on us but should be broken in a matter of months enough that we can populate our music servers with our paid for music. If they are smart they will just launch it with managed copy support that makes sense for PC audio users but that's probably hoping for too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back