pure audio blue-ray
May 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 24
Well, some of us actually like using "pc, foobar, hard disk, etc, etc," in order to play whatever music we like, whenever we like, from wherever we like, without having to dig out discs, and risk damaging them, let alone keep them organized in an easily accessible area.

It would be nice if a new standard for high-end digital audio would actually succeed.  But for it to have any merit, we'd need the loudness wars to come to an end.

May 25, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 24
i think that this new support may have great successfull because is compatible with a normal blue-ray player
aldo

May 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 24
Lets hope there are a lot interesting releases that come out on this blu-ray audio format. Maybe if there is media new machines oriented towards audio start coming out.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 24
The future of music is on PC. Physical CDs are dying format.
This Pure Audio BDs are just DXD recordings turned to 24/192 LPCM audio. Better than Red Book but still worse than SACD ( I guess :) )

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 24
Music on PC does not feel "real" to me, I understand the concept and have a few HDs chuck full of it, but I want my favorite albums on a great looking and playing media be it LP, CD or something else. A large group of people I bet still feels the same way.

As to "worse than SACD" I think you are wrong here. SACD 1bit DSD format has a dynamic range of 120db from 20hz-20khz over 6 channels, but it uses noise shaping quantization techniques, and various opinions exist about this. Bluray format is capable of full 24bit 192khz PCM performance over 6 channels. Plus you can store a LOT of 2ch audio on a BluRay. Very comparable if you ask me.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
As to "worse than SACD" I think you are wrong here. SACD 1bit DSD format has a dynamic range of 120db from 20hz-20khz over 6 channels, but it uses noise shaping quantization techniques, and various opinions exist about this...

Have you ever compared an original DSD recording, played on good SACD player which turns directly DSD to analog with a Red Book CD with the same recording?
Just try it. I promise you'll reconsider your theory about SACD potential.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:

Have you ever compared an original DSD recording, played on good SACD player which turns directly DSD to analog with a Red Book CD with the same recording?
Just try it. I promise you'll reconsider your theory about SACD potential.

I have compared redbook using good 16 bit DAC to SACD and liked redbook more, go figure. YMMV.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
The future of music is on PC. Physical CDs are dying format.
This Pure Audio BDs are just DXD recordings turned to 24/192 LPCM audio. Better than Red Book but still worse than SACD ( I guess :) )

there are people who do not like to use the pc for music.
probably the audio tracks will be recorded 24/96 or 24/88.2(same sampling of hd audio files sold on the net).
finally, the blue-ray drive have few reading errors compared to cd
aldo

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
The limit to audio improvement is not the format, but the human hearing ability.  Any good CD system sounds as the real thing for any of us.

Yes, this is the truth but why not take advantage of a higher resolution since the blue-ray are becoming more and more in our homes?
aldo

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 24
Shame on you fjf. Trying to hijack this thread with old arguments. If that is what you want to talk about I am sure you can find many threads on the subject.

I am also a fan of physical media and would love it if BD audio actually came to maturation.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:

I am also a fan of physical media and would love it if BD audio actually came to maturation.

the advantage is that you buy a good and solid blue-ray player(denon for example) connected with toslink or spdif to a audiophile converter and with hdmi to a/v receiver.
aldo

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
I have compared redbook using good 16 bit DAC to SACD and liked redbook more, go figure. YMMV.

As it happens I was doing comparisons yesterday.  I convinced myself that CD's through my computer's sound card sound better than my SACD.  Same amp and 'phones in each case.  However this is in no way a valid comparision of the SACD format to the Redbook format.  I suspect what it means is the analog section of the SACD is not up to that of the sound card.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 24
What's the desire for a Blueray format when flash storate exists allowing for much more capacity and no moving parts? Unless I'm missing something, the whole blueray, cd, sacd, thing has been obsolete since Nintendo invented the videogame cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back