Purchasing first amp to be used with iPhone.
Mar 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Specter1075

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I will be purchasing an iPhone in the summer (likely the new gen, but not certain) and it will fill both my need for a new phone as well as a new music player. I listen to foreign music, usually trance/house and club but also rock so I mainly have access only to mp3s as source material.

With that said, I have been looking for suitable full headphones. Something portable, but as high in quality as makes sense for use with my iPhone/mp3s. This is to say, I dont want to spend more than 500$ or so on headphones if they will be under-appreciated because of what Im using them for. Someone recommended the DT770-600s to me, and I am seriously considering them. (Of course, I welcome alternative recommendations.)

So, I am curious about amps. I know little about headphones and even less about amps. The same thing applies though, I dont want to waste money by purchasing something too good. There seems to be quite a variation in prices, and I dont know what would go well with my needs. Ive looked at a few amps, like the TTVJs Portable slim (which is at the high end of my price range) and others that sell for much less (such as the Headroom Total Bithead  What makes sense for me? As someone without much experience, as well as what Ive already mentioned, would something like TTVJ's amp be wasted on me? I'd welcome any advice or recommendations.

Thanks!!

Chris

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Welcome to Head-Fi.  IMO, I'd start with a well made cMoy.  For customer service (if needed) I'd stay away from eBay.  Look into JDS Labs cMoy Bass Boost.  It's around $70 and has been well reviewed. 

Others may advise you to just go out and buy the best.  I did that and regret it as I missed the journey along the way which would have allowed me to develop my own likes and dislikes.  A cMoy or maybe a Mini3 would be a great start.  Remember, in the end, it's your decision and it's all about the music.  Enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back