Purchasing ATH-3000ANV
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

billbro

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers,

I am just about to pick up a pair of new Audio Technica ATH-3000ANV, I know there is an appreciation thread, but I thought I would throw this out there.

So, as you are all probably aware head-fi is bad for the wallet - after coming back to do some light browsing I decided to pick up a pair of AT ESW11LTD. I haven't quite picked up the ESW11LTD yet as they are due to be released in Australia next year, but in the interim I'm planning to pick up the ATH-3000ANV.

Context: no particular reason for me going with the ATH-3000ANV, but I do love my ESW9s and I read the 3000ANV was more or less the same but taken to another level.

Currently, I only have portable gear (Monster MD Tributes, UE700, ESW9,  UE TF)

Questions:
1. Are there any other particular sets of cans I should be considering? The problem with living in Australia and more specifically Sydney is I don't really get a chance to audition cans.

2. What desktop amp/dac will I need to create the appropriate "synergies" with the 3000ANV? I should also put this into perspective in relation to budgetary constraints (recommendations vary quite extensively in some other threads), I'm only willing to spend up to about $500 at the moment. However, if there is something that is dead set the 'end all and be all' or 'bees knees' then I'm happy to research and consider it.

Appreciate any advice/wisdom you guys/girls might have, particularly in relation to Q2.

Cheers,
Bill

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm not actually sure the W3000 is still available widespread anymore; they didn't make many of them, and I'm seeing "new" prices skyrocketing in the US, which implies they're all legitimately gone, and we're seeing the gougers take over (you know, those wonderful people who buy 3 or 4, and mean to sell them for 2-4x whatever they paid).

On the ESW11, AC seems to be shipping them:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=3195

As far as Q2, the most "common" answer you'll likely get is the matching amplifier (good luck), and barring that the AT-HA5000 (which is equally nutter in price imo). Personally I'm inclined towards stereo receivers and integrated amps if you have the space, but if you have to go with a desktop unit, I've recently been quite taken with Musical Fidelity, and will also suggest CI Audio. I'm not really into the whole "amps are a big deal sonically" jag though, and think my ESW9s sound pretty ESW9-ey on everything I've hooked them into; basically all I want for is a very quiet amplifier (as they're very sensitive, low Z, and they isolate - which means they'll certainly let you know about any noises in the amplifier) - which is more or less what I'd suggest in general when it comes to sensitive and low Z headphones.

When you mention a DAC, what are you meaning to hook up to? A CD player? A portable device (if so, which)? A computer (if so, tell us more about it)? A DAT or MD player? etc etc.

Oh, should've added:

Another headphone I'd steer you towards is the Koss ESP/950 - they're oddly kind of similar to the ESW9 (they remind me of one another while listening, it's kind of unexpected); this was discussed in the 950 thread in some detail if you're curious. The ESP/950 also have the benefit of coming with their own amplifier.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey obobskivich,

Apologies, I was referring to whether there were any other headphones I should be considering. However, I've read through a number of reviews already and I kind of landed on the 3000ANV on the basis that the sound I presume is similar to the ESW9 on a larger scale.

In terms of purchasing both the 3000ANV and the ESW11LTD, I'll be able to get my hands on them. I had a look at the matching amp, but wasn't overly keen on the price...

I could always go without an amp as people are saying the 3000ANV is easy to drive, but I presume I'll be missing something if I go down that route.

To be honest I haven't really considered everything, it's almost an impulsive purchase. I'll be hooking it up either to my desktop or my iPhone 4 or 5. I had previously considered some of the newer or yet to be released FiiO products, but as far as amps/dacs are concerned I haven't really reevaluated since deciding to pick up the 3000 and the ESW11.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 13
In terms of other headphones to consider, the ESP/950 is what I'd say.

To the rest: generally speaking my experience is that "easy to drive" headphones are just that, and even "hard to drive" headphones don't magically transmorph when you throw a ton of money into amplification. It's kind of like being in love - you either are or you aren't - there's not really a "halfway" point with amping. That said, something feels wrong about buying a W3000 for portable use with an iPhone. I can't explain why, I just know my Spidey Sense is tingling over it. :xf_eek:

I've never played with a FiiO that I really liked, mostly because they tend to use very cheap pots and have relatively high noise floors. Neither lends itself to sensitive and low Z cans.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 13
I read reviews of the Luxman DA200 being a great pair with ATH phones

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Xonar One would be an external solution. Any reason you don't want an internal card?

Might sound like a silly reason, but an internal card has less longevity from my perspective.

I'm considering working overseas in the near future, I could see myself taking an external solution depending on its size. However, I probably wouldn't be removing a sound card just to take over with me.

Also, the Xonar One looks interesting, reading at the moment - shame I really can't try anything out.

I read reviews of the Luxman DA200 being a great pair with ATH phones

Thanks mate, probably well beyond the price range I'm willing to consider at the moment.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Might sound like a silly reason, but an internal card has less longevity from my perspective.

I'm considering working overseas in the near future, I could see myself taking an external solution depending on its size. However, I probably wouldn't be removing a sound card just to take over with me.

Actually that makes sense to me. :xf_eek:

Try this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132023 (You don't get a link to the Asus website because it is a wretched place)
Or this:
http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?bo_table=HUDmx1&wr_id=5 (it did super well on GE's bench, FWIW (http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_DAC_Amp&document_srl=6825))

The Audio Engine D1 is also a popular suggestion in the Grado thread.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Actually that makes sense to me.
redface.gif

Try this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132023 (You don't get a link to the Asus website because it is a wretched place)
Or this:
http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?bo_table=HUDmx1&wr_id=5 (it did super well on GE's bench, FWIW (http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_DAC_Amp&document_srl=6825))
The Audio Engine D1 is also a popular suggestion in the Grado thread.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

I'm relatively smitten about the Xonar One - seems to tick the right boxes for me. However, just slowly going through the reviews at the moment.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 13
Any other input guys? E.g. Burson HA-160D?

Otherwise I think the Xonar One it is - the less time I spend on here the better.

I've actually just ordered the Senn HD 650 in the interim, as they were available for a steal... so since coming back on here to browse I will now have acquired HD 650, 3000ANV and probably the Xonar One :frowning2: Will probably be adding the ESW11LTD early next year as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back