Purchased a uDAC..first dac/amplifier..IT'S GREAT!!
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by amdj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like your new uDac! For $100, that's a solid deal. What was your source before? You seem happy as hell and satisfied (for now) so that's a really good thing!

Thank you @ amdj.. I'm very happy with it. Actually the uDAC is my first venture into a DAC of any sort and my second venture into a headphone amp (counting my recent purchase of the ipod-only Fiio E1, which I actually thinks enhances sound coming from that media player).

Before this plunge, I have just read about the benefits of DAC and headphone amplifers. I was skeptical. Now I am a believer. Thanks for the post buddy.

EricP

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you should have iTunes on full volume. The reason is that itunes uses digital vulume adjustment, which will inhibit the dynamic range of the signal once it is analog. Think of this:

You have a digital signal, and it has dynamics ranging from silent (0) to X decibels (or at least it would once in analog form). You then say you want to to go from 0 to X/2 dB. Thats all good, except silent stayed still, and the max was lowered. Thus, you just halved the dynamic range of the analog signal that that digital one would become once it went through a DAC. Not ideal at all.

I know you did not ask for an explanation, but I felt the need to give one, as I dislike it when people say "Do X isntead of Z" and do not give a reason. Perhaps I am just curious.

Hope that helps,
Nkk

Thanks for the explanation @ Nkk. I do like the how and why of things, so it is really appreciated. Thanks again buddy.

EricP

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #19 of 33
Ok im new to head fi and I just got into the audiophile world like 3 or 4 days ago. Im upgrading my $30 Sonys to the DT770 and fwir people say you you need an amp with those.

What the heck is a uDAC and If I got that would I need an amp also??????

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 33
I'm also quite curious...is there a good amp to combo with the uDAC?

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRookie52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No. It's DAC + Amp combo. Just plug it it your laptop, and then your headphones into it. Done.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 33
As the iPod does not have a USB out, no.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by richbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't connect directly to an iPOD ! I hope i am right !?
Thks

Yes. It only works as a DAC+Amp combo, not the standalone amp.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There may be something out there better, but I can't believe the clarity of sound that I get out of that little uDAC. And for 100 buck basically. I think my venture into the dac/amp world may just stop here.

EricP

Congrats Eric...
beerchug.gif
...Nice job...The only way that will happen is if you never read another page on this site again....lol.....ENJOY...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRookie52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok im new to head fi and I just got into the audiophile world like 3 or 4 days ago. Im upgrading my $30 Sonys to the DT770 and fwir people say you you need an amp with those.

Here you go Rook...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/fir...if-out-456945/

ENJOY

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #26 of 33
Thank you @ HeatFan... lol. I'm fighting the urge.... Regards

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #28 of 33
Hmm seeing so many good posts on the udac I decided to take the plunge and so I just ordered one from their online site. I like that they do worldwide shipping without charging a bomb. (Shipping charge $20 to India).

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 33
God, I absolutely fricking love nuforce. I absolutely 100% respect what they're doing with the uDac (great sound for a very, very inexpensive price).

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you should have iTunes on full volume. The reason is that itunes uses digital vulume adjustment, which will inhibit the dynamic range of the signal once it is analog.

Does anyone know if the Zune 4.0 software volume control distorts like iTunes on lower volumes than 100%?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back