Purchased a uDAC..first dac/amplifier..IT'S GREAT!!
Jan 15, 2010 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ericp10

Sits up all night comparing IEMs.
There may be something out there better, but I can't believe the clarity of sound that I get out of that little uDAC. And for 100 buck basically. I think my venture into the dac/amp world may just stop here.

It does a nice job with the d2000 and ortofon e-q7, but the dac/amp really shines with the ie-7. Very happy with it. I turn the volume as low as possible in itunes and basically use the volume knob on the uDAC, and boy does it make the music pop like never before. Just some brief general impressions...

EricP

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are doing it wrong

Well guide me sir. I'm new to this dac/amp world. I have an open mind. Whatever I'm doing, it sounds great to me...

EricP

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guide me sir. I'm new to this dac/amp world. I have an open mind. Whatever I'm doing, it sounds great to me...

EricP

Set the volume to max in iTunes and control the primary volume in your uDac.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 33
Okay, thank you @ Lil' Knight and Pomme... I'll try it that way...

EricP

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 33
Couldn't this have gone in the currrent uDAC review thread ? Its great that you love the product, but we arent really seeing anything new here.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't this have gone in the currrent uDAC review thread ? Its great that you love the product, but we arent really seeing anything new here.

I didn't know once a product is mentioned in a thread, anything else said about it had to go into that same thread. I'm comfortable right here. Plus, I found out something new from the two of the responses I received. We have thread counters now? I barely create my own threads here because I'm fairly new here and I'm taking in knowledge. So just let me be when I feel excited enough to create my own thread about a product I like, and it's a new technology for me. Thank you.

EricP

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 33
Hey Eric! I posted my own thread when I got my Pico DAC because I was so thrilled with it. Don't mind the thread police!
wink.gif

Sounds like the uDAC is one helluva deal. Glad you like it!

Oh yeah, once you state that you'll never buy another piece of audio equipment again...something ALWAYS comes up
biggrin.gif
It's like Audio Karma or something like that. Sorry about your wallet! Welcome!

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Eric! I posted my own thread when I got my Pico DAC because I was so thrilled with it. Don't mind the thread police!
wink.gif

Sounds like the uDAC is one helluva deal. Glad you like it!

Oh yeah, once you state that you'll never buy another piece of audio equipment again...something ALWAYS comes up
biggrin.gif
It's like Audio Karma or something like that. Sorry about your wallet! Welcome!

lol @ Punkaroo.. Thanks for the well-wishes and the warning (for my wallet). I don't think I have an addictive nature, but these high-end hi-fi toys are testing me man. I'm going to fight it as much as I can. I love this uDAC! Thanks again @ punkaroo..

Regards,

EricP

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 33
The only problem is when you get it in your head you need a pair of custom monitors.... like the JH13Pros.... that's when the going gets so amazingly gorgeous sounding.... and when your wallet will kill you.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem is when you get it in your head you need a pair of custom monitors.... like the JH13Pros.... that's when the going gets so amazingly gorgeous sounding.... and when your wallet will kill you.

Don't wish that on me @ yunaforever009. I am so fighting the urge (but it just keep calling me
confused_face_2.gif
) lol.....

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 33
First post here. Was up reading like every page of the other uDAC review last night hehe. Quick question. I just purchased the uDAc today to go with my HD595. Will I need some type of AMP? Should I consider buying a desktop amp?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 33
Glad you like your new uDac! For $100, that's a solid deal. What was your source before? You seem happy as hell and satisfied (for now) so that's a really good thing!

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 33
Yeah, you should have iTunes on full volume. The reason is that itunes uses digital vulume adjustment, which will inhibit the dynamic range of the signal once it is analog. Think of this:

You have a digital signal, and it has dynamics ranging from silent (0) to X decibels (or at least it would once in analog form). You then say you want to to go from 0 to X/2 dB. Thats all good, except silent stayed still, and the max was lowered. Thus, you just halved the dynamic range of the analog signal that that digital one would become once it went through a DAC. Not ideal at all.

I know you did not ask for an explanation, but I felt the need to give one, as I dislike it when people say "Do X isntead of Z" and do not give a reason. Perhaps I am just curious.

Hope that helps,
Nkk

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post here. Was up reading like every page of the other uDAC review last night hehe. Quick question. I just purchased the uDAc today to go with my HD595. Will I need some type of AMP? Should I consider buying a desktop amp?

Thanks!

Hello @ jaybizzle. If you're connecting your uDAC directly to your desktop computer (or laptop) the answer is no. The UDAC is an headphone amp too. Just connect, as these fellas suggest - set your media player volume on high, and control the headphone volume from the uDAC volume knob. It has a beautiful sound coming out of it. Hope that helps

Oh, I think you only need an amp if you're going to use the uDAC as a DAC by itself and you are connecting the amp to a source outside of your computer.. like to run speakers.

EricP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back