punk rockers...where are you
Jul 8, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #46 of 99
I guess I meant "white stripe" above not red stripe.......doesn't matter I still don't like them.

Hey!
I have the Nuggets I collection of 60's psychedellic songs, 4-5 discs of great hard to find stuff.......but I was shocked that this collection did not include:
Gloria - Shadows of the Night
Come on now, that is a classic!

Jul 8, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #47 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
for recent material get anything involving an oblivian, the oblivian's pill poppers and the compulsive gamblers' crystal gazing luck amazing aren't bad intro albums.

Okay carlo, I can't find "oblivian pill poppers"
All I have found so far is Oblivian-"Stop Theif "and "Shoot Me a Waco" I have also found The Oblivians- "Popular Favorites" and "Play 9 Songs With Mr. Quintron" also Oblivians-"Sympathy Sessions" and "Soul Food".
What is it I'm looking for?
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #48 of 99
mr. pd,

yeah, those are all pretty much the same guys. then you have greg oblivian, eric oblivian, jack oblivian, and the variations of: the compulsive gamblers, bad times, tear jerkers, knaughty knights, etc. the majority of stuff is pretty damned good.

9 songs with mr. quintron is probably my favorite album of theirs, but be prepared since a lot of people think its out there.

i was looking at some of your posts in this thread, the oblivians' sympathy sessions is a good pick from what you have listed. i think you may really dig the donnas (their early stuff), along with the clash recs i think you'd have a good foundation for the whole "real punk" thing.

btw, pill poppers is under "the oblivians".

best,
carlo.

p/s - the oracle cd player in your avatar should show how much care was put into these recordings
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #50 of 99
The local store has quite a few cd's in their "punk" section. Only one Dead Kennedys and no Oblivian. I forgot about Lagwagon, they had several of those. Lot's of NOFX and Bad Religion. I ended up getting a Misfits cd called Cuts From The Crypt. I also picked up another Offspring cd.
I gotta say that Misfits don't really sound punk to me. Not in the sense of Ramones or Sex Pistols. I also gotta say I like this stuff
biggrin.gif

This album has demo versions of 7 songs and 1 live song. To me it sounds dark and hard. I like that sound.
One question regarding The Clash. I had Combat Rock, I thought it sucked. I sent it away, but I don't remember anything on that cd sounding remotley punk. Not even punkish, pop punkish, etc. When you all mention The Clash as punk, are you talking about some earlier stuff?

[size=xx-small]ps carlo; I wish I had that Oracle[/size]

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #51 of 99
mr pd,

damn man, its exciting to see you so serious about this. there's only two clash albums that are essential: the clash (uk version) and the clash (us version). yes, these are two completely different albums. combat rock (and everything after london calling) was pretty much crap in my opinion, you're best served avoiding them at all costs. to see the punk influence of the clash you sort of have to participate in a six degrees of seperation type deal, the stooges to the clash to television, and keep going all over the place. there are so many underlying story lines involving the scene that the deeper you dig the more comes up.

bad religion is more of a farce group than anything to me. i'm not a huge fan although i can see how many people are. the misfits can be damned groovy... i still say the donnas' self titled album will probably be your cup of tea.

long live the music man,
carlo.

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #52 of 99
mr. pd

i heard you mention lagwagon and i have seen it before on this thread. i have heard of them but never heard anything by them. what do they sound like? any good?

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #53 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
mr pd,

there's only two clash albums that are essential: the clash (uk version) and the clash (us version).

deffinately have to agree. i find it really hard to sit through any of their albums after london calling. and sometimes i find that cd a little flat. but deffinately get your hands on the clash's selftitled, you will see what the chatter is all about.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
The local store has quite a few cd's in their "punk" section. Only one Dead Kennedys and no Oblivian. I forgot about Lagwagon, they had several of those. Lot's of NOFX and Bad Religion. I ended up getting a Misfits cd called Cuts From The Crypt. I also picked up another Offspring cd.
I gotta say that Misfits don't really sound punk to me. Not in the sense of Ramones or Sex Pistols. I also gotta say I like this stuff
biggrin.gif

This album has demo versions of 7 songs and 1 live song. To me it sounds dark and hard. I like that sound.
One question regarding The Clash. I had Combat Rock, I thought it sucked. I sent it away, but I don't remember anything on that cd sounding remotley punk. Not even punkish, pop punkish, etc. When you all mention The Clash as punk, are you talking about some earlier stuff?

[size=xx-small]ps carlo; I wish I had that Oracle[/size]

Oh no! You didn't read my recommendation closely I said Misfits pre Earth AD (with Glenn Danzig).........you just bought reformed lame Misfits CD! Get one of these:
-Misfits (collection I)
-Collection II
-walk among us
-legacy of brutality

BTW there is a Misfits box set (coffin shape) of the Danzig years, but because of legal issues "walk among us" not icluded.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #55 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Oh no! You didn't read my recommendation closely I said Misfits pre Earth AD (with Glenn Danzig).........you just bought reformed lame Misfits CD! Get one of these:
-Misfits (collection I)
-Collection II
-walk among us
-legacy of brutality

BTW there is a Misfits box set (coffin shape) of the Danzig years, but because of legal issues "walk among us" not icluded.

walk among us is a great album...i am lucky enough to own the 1st release LP.

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #56 of 99
Quote:

-Misfits (collection I)
-Collection II
-walk among us
-legacy of brutality

DarkAngel; They only had 2 Misfits. This one and the other one. I can't remember the name, but I think it was also a newer one. I just remembered the name of the group being mentioned by you as good. I really should take notes to the store with me. I do like this cd though.
Blink; I didn't hear Lagwagon. I would have bought them had I rememberd they were recomended. I am taking notes with me next time I go to the store.

Jul 9, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #57 of 99
It seems we all have different ideas of what qualifies as punk. For me, despite what many of you say, it's definitely a sound. For me, it's songs like the Ramones' "I Want to be Sedated," The Clash's "I Fought the Law" (even though it's a cover), and Rancid's "Ruby Soho," "Time Bomb," and "Roots Radical." Actually, that's more hybrid, ska-ish punk and excludes a lot that I also consider punk, but that's the sound I think of most when I hear the word. Fast and furious guitars and drums, lyrics as often spewed as sung. I guess I picked those songs because I'm a bit more familiar with them: "White Riot" and "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" are just as qualified.

Mr.PD, The Clash were one of the first wave of punk bands running around in the mid-70s, so it's hard to exclude them from the genre they helped create. The only Clash material I have is The Story of the Clash, Vol. I, so I don't know exactly what's on Combat Rock, but I don't think it's the classic songs I identify with them most.

kerelybonto

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #58 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
It seems we all have different ideas of what qualifies as punk. For me, despite what many of you say, it's definitely a sound. For me, it's songs like the Ramones' "I Want to be Sedated," The Clash's "I Fought the Law" (even though it's a cover), and Rancid's "Ruby Soho," "Time Bomb," and "Roots Radical." Actually, that's more hybrid, ska-ish punk and excludes a lot that I also consider punk, but that's the sound I think of most when I hear the word. Fast and furious guitars and drums, lyrics as often spewed as sung. I guess I picked those songs because I'm a bit more familiar with them: "White Riot" and "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" are just as qualified.

Mr.PD, The Clash were one of the first wave of punk bands running around in the mid-70s, so it's hard to exclude them from the genre they helped create. The only Clash material I have is The Story of the Clash, Vol. I, so I don't know exactly what's on Combat Rock, but I don't think it's the classic songs I identify with them most.

kerelybonto

I have heard Ramones I Want To Be Sedated, Rancid Ruby Soho and Time Bomb. These are very good songs. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker is also right up there in my book. I do like that "sound". In fact I have all those songs, although I think Ruby Soho I only have as an MP3 that I got from Amazon.com (legally I presume) I also have It's Quite Alright and Rats In The Hallway. I am listening to these Rancid songs now. I gotta say that Rats In The Hallway is simply not for me.
Combat Rock has Rock The Casbah and Should I Stay or Should I Go. Rock The Casbah is why I got the cd. These two songs are the only ones I saved in my computer, and I didn't write down what's on the copy I made of the CD.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #59 of 99
Quote:

-Misfits (collection I)
-Collection II
-walk among us
-legacy of brutality

oh yeah, i have the box set, man i had this dumb smirk on my face when i picked it up, very happy indeed.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #60 of 99
Big question.
If I like the remade Misfits , which I do, would I also like the original Misfits? Did the style of music change? Just the names of the songs from the original Misfits sounds like my kind of music.
-mommie can I go out and kill tonight?
-die,die,die my darling
-death comes ripping
-little angel *****
-too much horror business
I prefer hard and fast with dark and rude.

MPD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back