punk rockers...where are you
Jul 3, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 99
i've never been a fan of punk. recently i purchased "nevermind the bullocks" because i was interested in hearing what was so great about this album/band/legacy. i have to say that i was impressed. i didn't have much for expectations but considering that i could go to any record store and from names along pick a handful of cds that sound EXACTLY like that album, means they started something pretty big.

however, punk on a whole, to me, has usually been: i know three chords and can speak english and buy hair dye, i am punk. i can make any given person "punk" with about an hour and maybe $100. i never understood this whole legacy and why people loved the music so much.

the idea that punk is a state-of-mind or feeling is dead as well. although, i think the idea that society in general even HAS a state-of-mind is dead.
very_evil_smiley.gif

i also really don't understand the want to pigeonhole (good term carlo) themselves into being: emo, punk, gothic, metal, and the dreaded "post-hardcore." i think markl said it best when he mentioned that there is good music and bad music; anything else is just ******** to make people feel better about themselves. you will miss out on a lot if you don't listen to something for such a stupid reason.

i will not make any comments on johnny rotten as being an idiot or a genius because i really have no idea about him. i will also say that i am interested in reading his book now. he sounds kind of like a marilyn manson type guy to me: instantly hated without hearing a single bit from his side.

on that note, is marilyn manson punk? if you're going on the idea that he's "against authority and the government and the status quo" it sure sounds like him to me. he just happens to make better music.
very_evil_smiley.gif
well, at least he knows more than four chords..

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #32 of 99
I prefer the Misfits, the sex pistols seemed to try too hard to be tough guys, the Misfits were the embodiment of a punk band with heart and soul.

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 99
"i've never been a fan of punk.... punk on a whole, to me, has usually been: i know three chords and can speak english and buy hair dye, i am punk. i can make any given person "punk" with about an hour and maybe $100. i never understood this whole legacy and why people loved the music so much."

Amen. Honestly, I've never been a follower of any genre of music that required me to dress funny in order to listen to it, and that includes punk, goth, metal...erm country
tongue.gif
. Like with any musical genre, with punk, you've really got to cherry pick to find the good stuff. In punk, because we're dealing usually with very young people with little or no musical ability, the hit-to-miss ratio is much higher than with some other genres. Most of it is unlistenable drivel. The *idea* of punk is often more interesting than the execution.

The best-regarded book on punk and what punk means is "England's Dreaming" by John Savage. He perhaps over-estimates the importance of the "movement" and what it meant in social/political/historical terms, but it's a fantastic read and really helps explain why punk happened in England in the late 70s and why it mattered.

markl

Jul 3, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #34 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Amen. Honestly, I've never been a follower of any genre of music that required me to dress funny in order to listen to it, and that includes punk, goth, metal...erm country
tongue.gif

markl

i liked the comment that you made earlier, and i qoute....."There are actually two categories of music: GOOD and BAD. Restricting yourself or defining yourself to limited genres is truly sad. You miss out on so much!"

if you agree with this statement then how can you go on to say that you dont listen to music that, in your words, requires you to dress a certain way. i listen to punk, metal, and some goth, and i dont feel any pressure on dressing anyway that would resemble those music styles. i think that is such ********. music is music, you cannot honestly say that since you listen to a certain "type," you feel the need to let the world know by dressing in a particular fassion. open your mind

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 99
What I was trying to say was that I wouldn't let my enjoyment of a certain style of music to dictate what I wear. Certain genres inspire certain people to emulate their style of dress. Those folks get locked into a whole lifestyle that precludes them from listening to other forms of music.

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #36 of 99
i totally agree....and i am sorry that i misunderstood

Jul 4, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #37 of 99
I really don't like Blink 182, Sum41, etc. (in fact, at times I despise them), but one ninties punk band (and unfortunately now defunct) that has caught attention is Refused. I recommend their CD "Shape of Punk to Come." Check them out.

Jul 4, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #38 of 99
Boy, I go to work for a day and a half and this thread takes off.
I gather that Offspring is not punk. Okay! I like them a lot. I really like NOFX, I think they are punk.
The Hives, well they sound good, I agree with the comments made here about imitating Jagger. I really can't stand to watch the video that I'v e seen, for that reason.
As for a song that is good from a punk band I highly recommend The Gauntlet by Dropkick Murphys. If I had heard that anywhere but on their album I wouldn't have guessed it a punk song.
Now I will check out the Misfits, they sound interesting. Refused must be better than the one song I heard on a Punkorama CD.
I am new to this kind of music and I need more of it.

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #39 of 99
i agree with the sentiment that punk music grew out of a frustration with the opulant, bloated disco scene, and as such, sought among the dissatisfied (and fueling on everpresent teen angst) to tear down that status quo, both in music and in society.

Considering the rather privilidged place that bands such as Sum 41, Blink 182, Sublime, et al, hold in the music industry and the CD wallets of rich yuppie Westchester WASP teens and pre-teens, much of the relevance and meaning of punk rock has been lost.

As such, i believe that any underground music that seeks to tear down similar social, musical, artistic and economic walls fulfills the very same role that punk played in the 80s and 90s (and afterall, what was important about the punk scene, the specifics or the role it played?). One need only go to a show at Gilman in Berkeley, CA or the El-N-Gee in New London, CT to see this tradition in action.

But the aforementioned bands DO NOT fulfill this purpose and as such should NOT be positively compared to the greats (Sex Pistols, Misfits, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, etc).

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #40 of 99
Mr. PD:

the best you could do to get in touch with punk in its most meaningful form is to search out very underground shows (not even neccessarily in punk rock). I'm sure there are plenty in Portland or Seattle or maybe even Eugene.

But a couple reccomended "greats" :

Clash: just about everything sans "Sandinista"

Bad Brains: s/t

Minor Threat: both releases (available on one CD)

Ignite: "Call on my Brothers"

and on the more poppy side of things:

Lagwagon: "Hoss"

No Use For a Name: "the daily grind" or "leche con carne"

what is it you like about NOFX?

Refused is more of a Hardcore band than a punk band from what i've heard. I have "Everlasting" and it's good, but not very punk rock. It sounds almost like Helmet.

Also, an overlooked punk band:

[size=small]Slayer!!![/size]

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #41 of 99
All this talk has me checking my "punk" collection, and making some upgrades:

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
This is new remastered version with 8 bonus tracks that came out last year, the CD "operator manual" picks up the remaining pieces........also Cd "rays and hail" is good history of Devoto's group magazine

Clash - Story of Clash Vol I
I have the remastered Clash I and London Calling, but this remastered collection picks up the remaining pieces in one handy collection.

Dead Boys - Young, Loud & Snotty
Not a remaster, but has some great cuts:
-sonic reducer
-little girl etc.
Looking for some used Lords of New Church Cds but they are expensive

Was listening to Damned 1st CD last night, classic
-new rose
-neat,neat
wish the sound quality was better
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX

what is it you like about NOFX?

i really enjoy the music that they have made throughout the years. their lyrics can make you laugh, cry, and just stop and think. and the acutall music that they put together sounds great and jusr rocks. from stuipd, meaningless songs like "shower days" to their rock oprea "the decline," it all just kicks ass.
songs i love
drug free america
lori myers
dont call me white
scavenger type
i dont want you around
bob
the brews
nowhere
jeff wears berkinstocks
vanilla sex
punk rock elite
180 degrees
you drink you drive you spill
hot dog in a hallway

i could go on and on...

shower days:
in the morning i awake
i feel my bladder about to break
i scratch my balls i rub my eyes
just feeling lousy

my girlfriend tells me that
its time to take a bath
i say "o not today, its only tuesday"

once every 24hours
im suppoesd to take a shower
thats not the way i do it
do it do it

personal hygine is the last thing on my mind
i dont want to do it
do it do it

it doent make a difference to me
everyday i do the same old thing
so why do i have to be clean

those dreaded wenesdays and saturdays
also known as shower days
i hate them

now tell me, who cannot laugh at a song like that

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #43 of 99
Hives
Borders had this to sample on store CDP, sounds pretty good will probably pick it up eventually.......not sure if you would call this punk, really more like 60's garage music sound. Youngsters who hear this will think its something really new
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also heard "red stripe" but will pass on this, didn't like the samples I heard on net but decided to give better listen at Borders........still don't like it.

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #44 of 99
I guess I should respond to what I like about NOFX. I too like the lyrics, these guys are very witty. I like the way their songs sound, I am listening to Buckcherry right now so it's hard to think about NOFX.
Some of my favorite NOFX songs are:
Bath of Least Resistance (Favorite)
Pharmacists Daughter
Herojuana
Dinosaurs Will Die
Theme From a NOFX Album
Bob
Thank God It's Monday (I really identify with this one)
NOFX is fast like I want without being monotone like The Ramones can be. I'm not sure how to put that. Better instruments maybe?
I still haven't heard the Sex Pistols yet.
What makes Offspring not punk? I'm listening to Mota by them and it sure sounds punk to me. Maybe I don't understand the feeling behind punk. I probably never will. I am very shallow. I go strictly by "sound" when listening to music. A friend of mine used to play drums in a regional band in the 70's. He is always telling me about these great songs and why they are great, like Hendrix- All Along The Watchtower, I never understand, I have learned a lot, but I don't get all of it.
So just call me shallow.

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #45 of 99
Hives are definitely more "new wave" to me than "punk". That is-- they have one "hit" and then disappear much to the sadness of the pop charts. They are harbingers of music to come, but will themselves be sacrificed on the altar of "pop". There is a collection of earlier garage bands that are a must own for any rock- lover called "Nuggets":

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...itemid=1381767

These are all one hit wonders much like the Strokes/White Stripes/Hives of today. Check it out!

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back