punk rockers...where are you
Sep 15, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #76 of 99
Misfits when Glen sang for them were great! Now? Meh.

Haven't read the thread... too long, but anyhoo....

Bad Religion before their Generator album. To me, their last good one was Suffer.

Old Bad Brains is great, get the stuff before their first breakup. The Rock for Light album is pure class.

Of course the classics: Crass, Dead Kennedys, SSD, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, …

Then there are more Alternative type punk bands like: the Smiths, the Pixies, Dinosaur Jr.

There are a lot and crossovers like Operation Ivy (I thumb my nose at Rancid
tongue.gif
) and Puya that are cool.

[edit] BTW - Blink182 is a pop band.

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #77 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Bad Religion before their Generator album. To me, their last good one was Suffer.

Interesting! In what ways did Bad Religion change? I am kinda familiar with some stuff from Generator but not the whole thing. I don't think I have heard anything earlier than that.

One other thing, a lot or people here will say "anything before such n such album is good", how do I find out which albums are before the bad one?

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #78 of 99
"a lot or people here will say "anything before such n such album is good", how do I find out which albums are before the bad one?"

Look at release dates.

Generator is OK, but that was when Bad Religion began to get more "college rock" sounding than "punk".

If you want an indication of what they used to be, download songs like "We're Only Gonna Die," "Bad Religion," " Damned to be Free," "Drastic Actions" ... You can get those off the "80 - 85" CD, the only place to get those songs aside from vinyl and tape. Suffer is also real good, but far more polished. Then they get more professional sounding and they continue to now sound like the Generator album (which I got rid of because I got sick of that sound).

BTW – For hardcore: Lately I’ve been listening to the Earth Crisis Firestorm EP. It’s great. More raw than the other Earth Crisis CDs I have.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #80 of 99
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I now have Misfits-CollectionII and Walk Among Us
I also have "Lame" Misfits- Cuts From the Crypt and American Psycho.
Sorry gloco but I prefer the new Misfits. Mostly due to better production, more polished and more of that "wall of noise" factor. I like the original Misfits, I just like the new incarnation better.

PD I am starting to get worried, you may be the only person on planet earth that thinks new Misfits are better vs original Misfits with Danzig, what are we going to do with you, heh heh
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW yes Rancid has a couple good classic style punk CDs, but this type of music gets old fast to me and I only listen in small doses. (same comment for Ramones)
-wolves
-lets go

How about the excellent Buzzcocks, I like them more also songs have more variation, still sounds good today:

operators manual - best of collection

singles going steady - thier undisputed best album, new remaster has many bonus tracks

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #81 of 99
DA; Buzzcocks are now on my list. I totally agree about Rancid and Ramones, small doses for me too. I think that with the songs sounding so much the same is why this music puts me to sleep so well. My mind gets numb and off I go to la la land.

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #82 of 99
I'm not really into punk, but like some of the bands that have been mentioned here:

- Buzzcocks (have Product and Modern -- both excellent)
- Bad Religion (have entire catalog [no fancy words here, this is punk rock] -- the new one is an astoundingly good return to form and then some, definitely check it out)
- Iggy/Stooges (just a little)
- Offspring (ditto)
- Green Day (somewhat, some)
- Stiff Little Fingers (only heard)
- Pennywise (awesome)

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #83 of 99
Pennywise is good. Check out their self titled album, Unknown Road and Full Circle are also real good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #84 of 99
Yea, for 1990 era punk revival groups Rancid & Pennywise are primary choices. (I am not counting the pop/punk stuff like Green Day or Blink 182)

Actually I think Rancid is the best because they have more variety mixing in some Ska and at times sounding like early Clash, which is good model to follow indeed.

Sep 16, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #85 of 99
" Actually I think Rancid is the best because they have more variety mixing in some Ska and at times sounding like early Clash, which is good model to follow indeed"

Have you ever listened to Operation Ivy?

A couple of the guys that formed Rancid used to be in Op Ivy and basically made the Ska-core thing more pop.

Also see older Mighty Mighty Bostones for good Ska-core.

Sep 16, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #86 of 99
I see that I am going to have to pick up some Pennywise also. I have heard them on the Punk-O-Rama cd's. I just can't remember them right now. I would listen now but I've been playing with metal music all day like Slayer, Stink Bug, Kittie, Anthrax, Mudvayne, that sort of thing. Might upset my tummy to mix in punk on top of that.

Hey Dusty, Offspring are my favorite lite rock band.

Sol_Zhen, you seem to know a lot of punk bands. Any other recomendations? I think I lean toward the newer more polished sounds. Ramones, Misfits and that sort have a lot of talent, good lyrics (ok not always good) but the sound that comes from my headphones is like the microphones were in one room and the band in another when these were recorded. I can't get passed that.

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #87 of 99
"I think I lean toward the newer more polished sounds."

Funny thing is, that when it comes to punk I think the low-fi sound fits the music more.

I've never been to a punk show at a small club that had a good sound rig. Most live punk shows sound just as low-fi as the albums. It's a factor of the label's and band's resources and primary audiences.

If you like the more polished sound, for Pennywise pick up the Full Circle album, and try some newer Earth Crisis and Sick of it All.

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #88 of 99
Quote:

Funny thing is, that when it comes to punk I think the low-fi sound fits the music more.

I was wondering if low-fi is the "punk sound". I gotta admit that it does fit nicely when you take the history into account. I suppose that I can try and get passed that part because I do like the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #89 of 99
"I gotta admit that it does fit nicely when you take the history into account."

Well on a lot of it, the low-fi is not intentional. It's a factor of them recording albums on 4-tracks in someone's basement with the intention of distributing the tapes and LPs locally. Then they get popular and these bad recordigns are ported to CD and better LPs, retaining the low-fi sound. Other bands just record as a group, and not seperately in the studios -- giving a more garage sound to the music.

Depends on the band.. Hard to take 3-cord horror-pop-punk like the Misfits seriously unless they sound raw.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #90 of 99
Quote:

Quote:

I think I lean toward the newer more polished sounds.

(Adopts typical punk sneer.) Yeah? So what. Some of us prefer our music to sound good. You got a problem with dat?

(Goes back to normal voice.) No, seriously, I understand the whole punk think -- although, for the record, I am not one (I know this for a fact, because I took the test, and scored a measly "poseur") -- but for some of us, this is only about the music, so we like our stuff to sound good. I agree that technically, this might not be pure punk, perhaps it should be called "neo-punk" or "punk revival". I still prefer it. It's easier than ever these days to make a recording sound halfway decent. I know a guy who's making professionally sounding final mixes, and I don't think he makes much more than most of youse guys (meaning you punks and young whipper-snappers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back