Pulled this out of the closet after 10 years...
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rocko1

500+ Head-Fier
I was really into vintage stereos from late 90's to early 2000's. Sold 95% of all my equipment in 2002-divorce will do that- except two receivers, my Marantz 2220B and 2270. Fired up the 2220B last night and wow, I forgot how good she sounds and looks. Needed to clean a few switches but that was expected. Hard to beat the build quality and style of the old Marantz. I never needed to go past 9 O'clock on the volume with my HA-RX700 phones. Please excuse the newer garbage Sony, waiting on a 80's Japan made unit.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow, this is a sweet looking unit.

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 9
ooooooooooooo........those blue lights...goes with my blueglasses.
the sound must be organic..
gs1000.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 9
The sound is fantastic. Hard to describe. Tubishly smooth highs without loss of detail is what mostly stands out.

I have not recapped anything yet, but anything this old could always use them. But no bulging or visibly bad caps.

At some point during my peak addiction I had close to 20 vintage receivers, 12 sets of speakers, turntables, reel to reels, eq's, etc. . Got divorced(contributing factor?:wink: )  and had to sell all but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of this one or the 2270 which looks similar just with 70 watts per instead of 20. The craftsmanship is just astounding. The metal parts, heavy but smooth controls.  Sad really how far downhill electronics have gone. To get a unit like this made to the same quality I would guess would cost $2,000+?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The sound is fantastic. Hard to describe. Tubishly smooth highs without loss of detail is what mostly stands out.

I have not recapped anything yet, but anything this old could always use them. But no bulging or visibly bad caps.

At some point during my peak addiction I had close to 20 vintage receivers, 12 sets of speakers, turntables, reel to reels, eq's, etc. . Got divorced(contributing factor?:wink: )  and had to sell all but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of this one or the 2270 which looks similar just with 70 watts per instead of 20. The craftsmanship is just astounding. The metal parts, heavy but smooth controls.  Sad really how far downhill electronics have gone. To get a unit like this made to the same quality I would guess would cost $2,000+?

Quote: downhill electronics

had a Marantz SR 6005 for a few days. the sound felt kind of artificial/fake like, as if the sound had been programmed to please
warm sounding, but no soul. however Virtual Surround was impressive when watching movies. I recognize some of your descriptions
of the sound qualities in the Luxman. it's possible I would have been satisfied with the 6005 had I not owned the Luxman  
but the difference was really striking 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back