Public ABX Test (Show Off Your Ears)
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #76 of 83
No, I'm not talking about the equipment, just the difference in music formats. I was saying that, most people that can tell a difference, it's not a big one, and that's what I'm saying, that if you have to be stubborn and try and tell someone there ignorant for using mp3's, than your ignorant.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #77 of 83
Not to get off topic but are pragmatic reasons for ripping lossless to an archive. I got 4 out of 10 after careful listening. So at home since I archive in lossless that's what I listen to; portable, it only makes sense to go with lossy for speed of conversion or speed of file transfer with copy if you have a synced lossy library with your lossless one.

DC

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #78 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to get off topic but are pragmatic reasons for ripping lossless to an archive.

Absolutely true. But I think that it is off-topic for the purposes of this thread.

May 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 83
Sadly the thread isn't being maintained by the OP anymore. I thought it was a very interesting test.

May 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #81 of 83
Yeah, these things are kind of interesting, though I've taken them before and I know the results -- I can't reliably tell the difference between lossy files and lossless. If I ABX'd across enough trials of enough different files and listened hard enough, I'm sure I'd eventually run across passages I could identify as lossy, but I sure don't have any interest in that. I'd rather listen to music, and I know that when that's what I'm doing, I won't hear the difference. If I had better equipment, could I hear it, even when relaxing and enjoying the music? Maybe. But the other side of that is I can already hear bad mastering well enough that when it is bad enough, I find it hard to listen to. I'm not sure I want much better equipment!

I still rip everything to lossless, though. Hard drive space is cheap.

Tim

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #83 of 83
I Just tried it, I got a 6/10 in test which was bad for me, in training i can pull 8/10 and 9/10 fairly consistently....darn psychoacoustics!

On Dave Mathews try 7-12 for the sample and pay attention to the cymbal/drumkick at about 11, in sample b its a little bit higher and in sample a its a little bit flat.

Good Luck!
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back