PSP
Mar 5, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Xephyr

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking around for a new mp3 player (and probably will be looking for a few more months) and I have been wondering about the PSP. I know it can play mp3s but I was wondering if someone can tell me more about it (can it play other format, does it have custom EQ, on the go playlist, podcast/audiobook, how is the SQ compared to an actual MP3 player, etc). Thanks!!

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 47
Hi there,

I have a PSP and can tell you that PSP plays WMA, Atrac3+, AAC, WAV and MP3.

It doesn't have a custom EQ, but 5 (or so) presets. There's no on the go playlist option. Maybe in future FW updates.

SQ is pretty darn nice! Sounds as good as the average MP3 player these days. Depends on what PSP you'll buy. The ''fat'' old PSP has little worse SQ then the new PSP Slim&Lite.

I've had both so I talk out of experience.
Managing Music on PSP is very nice if you want to arrange the music yourself. PSP doesn't arrange the music in album, artist etc. It just throws it in a map.

Greetz

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I have a PSP and can tell you that PSP plays WMA, Atrac3+, AAC, WAV and MP3.

It doesn't have a custom EQ, but 5 (or so) presets. There's no on the go playlist option. Maybe in future FW updates.

SQ is pretty darn nice! Sounds as good as the average MP3 player these days. Depends on what PSP you'll buy. The ''fat'' old PSP has little worse SQ then the new PSP Slim&Lite.

I've had both so I talk out of experience.
Managing Music on PSP is very nice if you want to arrange the music yourself. PSP doesn't arrange the music in album, artist etc. It just throws it in a map.

Greetz

In your experience what mp3 player comes closest to the PSP SQ-wise?

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 47
I actually own both old PSP and new PSP Slim and honestly can't say I remember it for having outstanding sound quality....

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 47
PSP SQ is pretty poor in my opinion. I have the slim and while it's nice for movies and games it's noticeably worse than both my iPhone and HD30GB9.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PSP SQ is pretty poor in my opinion. I have the slim and while it's nice for movies and games it's noticeably worse than both my iPhone and HD30GB9.

Worse than the IPhone?? That's pretty hard to believe...you would think since the PSP is for gaming, the SQ should be pretty good. Did you use high end earphones for your PSP?

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 47
Been using my psp on a trial basis for past week. It's a very basic mp3 player. Has no playlist function. No EQ. No radio/voice recording/extras.

What it does have is drag drop. It has a simple 2 folder structure. It organises music alphabetically and it reads IDv3 tags.

I use it as my 'quick play' player. I've only got 30 odd songs on it, but they're on my favourites playlist on my lappy at home, so I never skip songs cause I love to listen to every one of them.

So it suits me well. Considering I also have games, and can browse the net at uni with it I don't mind the treble roll-off and bass hump too much. I actually think it sounds better with my ES7s than my Samsung K3, and that's a dedicated DAP which that doesn't sound too bad according to most.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piss-poor sound quality in my opinion. Awesome for games, lame for tunes.

X2. Had it for years, even have a sound dock and have used it with FLAC (homebrew). Its exciting with movies and games, but the sound quality isn't up to par with most DAPs. I would rank it around the 5th gen iPod out of the jack. ESPECIALLY with the little remote. That thing kills the quality.

It does have recording features, (need a headset and adapter, pretty cheap) and there is plenty of homebrew to EQ, extras, and utilities to record with if you unlock it. Streaming radio was just built in. This little thing can do just about anything, but little very well.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xephyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking around for a new mp3 player (and probably will be looking for a few more months) and I have been wondering about the PSP. I know it can play mp3s but I was wondering if someone can tell me more about it (can it play other format, does it have custom EQ, on the go playlist, podcast/audiobook, how is the SQ compared to an actual MP3 player, etc). Thanks!!

I'd say overall, PSP's are a bit lacking in comparison to most portable audio devices. Now, I don't yet own a slim, though going off the original PSP model itself, It's indeed lacking. You don't have any real EQ options outside of the standarized preset ones, roughly 30% less peak volume, and significantly less bass due to having a very shallow boost. Actually, this pretty much applies to every frequency I'd say - highs, mids, and lows alike. Unless you hack the unit w/ unauthorized programs, (IE: homebrew) there's no personalizing what so ever. In addition to that, you have a max capacity of 4G's, should you go out of your way by spending nearly the amount you did in purchasing the console itself to begin with.

However...

As far as playing back a particular frequency accurately, it seems to do just fine. I know this, because when I hook it up via aux cable in my car w/ apx. $2-3K worth of equipment, songs sound identical w/out any preset, flat. Lossless through the PSP outputs no different in terms of detail and clarity then when a cd-a is used.

Bottomline: If all you need is a lossless/lossy device (w/out all the bells and whistles) capable in playing back a signal as it was originally intended to sound in the first place, then I don't see any real reason as to why a psp wouldn't suit your most essential needs as a reliable source.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 47
I use it more as a music video player than a strictly audio player.
I like to watch old MTV 120 minutes videos on mine.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 47
I am no audio guy, but psp's SQ is not good imo, I don't think you can make a playlist either, it just plays all the music from top to bottom, simple as that. Also, it is huge for a mp3 player, it hardly fits my pocket. I love my fat psp, but for gaming and homebrew apps only, maybe a little big movie to take advantage of the big monitor, but it is not a good music player.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 47
Meh, it will work in a pinch but it will not satisfy you in the long run as a DAP. It's a great movie and game machine, but not a good music player. As others have stated the lack of DAP functionality is the real killer, I could tolerate the sound for undemanding stuff like commercial rock and pop, but it just doesn't work like even the most basic of DAPs.

Oh, and I have an Ice Silver Slim. Reading you guys' comments about the fatty, I'd say the Slim is pretty much the same.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 47
Anyone know anything of being able to upgrade the dac and such for the psp? I believe I've heard it mentioned before.. would be very interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back