PSP malfunctioning
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Hi,

I've got a PSP Slim that is malfunctioning, but I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with it. Frequently when I turn it on and/or load a new UMD into it, it won't recognize a UMD is present. I'll have to open and close the door repeatedly to get it to work. The same problem also occurs within games when it needs to go back to the UMD to read. It often stays 'loading' indefinitely, unless I repeatedly open and close the drive. Any suggestions? Do I need to replace the drive? Should I do this myself or get it repaired? Or just get a new PSP?

And don't suggest I get a DS. Not going to happen.

Edit: On second thought, maybe a DS would be in the cards.. The DSi with the downloadable games seems pretty exciting. Alternately, I could buy two DS Lites on eBay for as much as a single PSP...

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried cleaning it with a q-tip with ethanol on it, but nothing has changed. Will a microfibre cloth work better?

Might. But if cleaning doesn't work then it'd be laser alignment or the laser itself (they do have a limited lifespan by all accounts). (I'm assuming you've checked the UMDs for cleanliness/scratches).

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 40
I've tried several UMDs- it happens on all of them. I'll get some lens cleaner and lens paper tomorrow at work that we use for our microscopes and I'll try that. I also updated the firmware to the latest version, totally drained the battery and re-cleaned the laser again, and it's working much better.. not perfect, but better- so that does suggest it is the laser.

I really don't have the money right now to replace this, so I hope I can get it working again- otherwise I might have to sell my Mini^3 to finance a new one- but by many accounts the PSP Slim is better than the PSP 3000.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 40
how long have you had the PSP? is it covered by any kind of warranty or product service/replacement plan?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 40
You could install custom firmware then run your games off a memory stick.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 40
Not sure, but you'd still need custom firmware to boot them. If you're gonna scrap it, might as well try installing the custom firmware, it shouldn't be too hard. It actually makes the PSP a new beast, it works as a decent makeshift PMP and PS1/console roms are really fun.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 40
Thanks for chiming in Kirosia, I appreciate it. If I do decided to scrap it, I'll definitely give that a shot. It actuayl seems to be mysteriously working properly again. Maybe totally draining the battery, resetting the settings on it, and cleaning the lens again worked.. Anyway, I hope so. I'd much rather save my money and buy an 8 or 16GB memory stick for it and download some games from the Sony Online Store than buy a new one. Getting PS1 games for it seems like it might be fun too- since there were a ton of fun PS1 games.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 40
Yeah, definitely try to hang on to it. With some (arguably) decent IPs like LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, in addition to exclusives like Patapon 2 and Persona (remake) coming, it's a good time to have a PSP. And remember, games often run much faster off the memory stick than UMD.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 40
I've had an XBox, a GC, borrowed a PS2 for quite a while, and was considering getting either a 360 or a PS3 as a graduation present for myself- but as much as those systems have much more impresive graphics, I enjoy my PSP a lot more. I love that it's portable, that I can play it on a bus, a plane, on a 30 minute lunch break, etc. I just don't have gobs of time to sit down and play video games anymore. I really like tactical RPGs- I loved Joan D'Arc, and Final Fantasy Tactics. I know the DS has more Tactical RPGs (or so I'm told), and maybe I'd consider getting it as a secondary machine (the wife'd like it for BrainAge), but I really find my PSP a lot of fun. With the DS for me the issue right now is would I get a DS or get a DSi? I'd like to be able to play Guitar Hero on it, which means no DSi- but the downloadable games store for the DSi seems awesome- plus it's got a much more powerful processor, so...

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 40
I'd wait until the DSi is released (and reviewed) before making a purchase. And there have also been rumors of PSP successor in the works, so now really is a bad time to buy a new portable. Also, Rock Band is coming to PSP, thought it's just regular button inputs I believe.

As for a home console, the 360 is your best bet game-wise (large diverse library), but the hardware is still very iffy.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 40
My brother has a PS3. He sold it and bought a 360 instead cause he said that there weren't enough games made specifically for the PS3- that most of them were ports from the 360, so while the PS3 had better technical capabilities, that the games just played better on a 360.

My PSP is back to misbehavin'.. I've figured out some more stuff- the laser is lighting up, the motor for rotating the UMD works, and the servos for articulating the laser also work. I'm not sure if it doesn't recognize that there is a disk present (e.g. the door closed trigger isn't working properly) or if it is that the laser isn't reading for some reason. Very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back