PSP malfunctioning
Mar 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 40
I don't consider CFW on a PSP to be a last resort instead of scrapping it, IMHO it greatly enhances its usefulness with only temporary possible drawbacks however you can always reinstall Sony's firmware. The only downside is that its best to get familiar with CFW, homebrew and your psp before attempting to install it. Maybe things have changed in the homebrew scene in these last few months since I've touched my PSP but the latest firmwares were, for the most part, being updated to CFW in a matter of days.

check out http://forums.maxconsole.net/

There can be some compatibility issues with new releases until the included firmware is updated to CFW, and probably issues with the PSN store but I've never tried. I guess it all depends how much you feel like messing with it, most of the fun I've had on my PSP has been installing firmwares and testing stuff but that's just me.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 40
Another site (and how I first put a custom firmware on my psp just a few days after it became possible...back in I think '06) that's useful for getting the official sony firmware files is QJ.NET - QuickJump Home - PlayStation Portable News - PSP Updates . Also, the forums at AfterDawn.com have comprehensive guides for complete beginners on the process. Aferdawn is the place for all things having to do with consoles and '3rd party' activities.

If it weren't for Dark Alex, my psp would be collecting dust, but instead, it's seen regular use since the day it came out! I use bookr to read ebooks on it, the screen is very easy on the eyes.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 40
Well the drive won't read anything anymore. I've got a few options.

1) Replace the UMD drive
1a) Do it myself.
1b) Send it off to get fixed by someone else- get the damaged screen repaired at the same time.

2) Sell my UMD games, buy an 8 or 16GB card, and put the money from the sold games and any money I'd put into replacing / repairing my PSP into paying to download new games from Sony.

3) Buy a replacement PSP.

I definitely appreciate all the comments I've had so far, and I would love to hear your thoughts on the above listed options.

Brad

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 40
Well, given that a new psp (the 3000 model at that) is $170...I would seriously consider just replacing it. I'm sure if you look around you can get an older one for far less, and used even more so.

But I also see that a new laser module is just $15, so why not give it a go? Steady hands and patience should be all you need!

If you're a hardcore gamer, then definitely look at the DS too, the less console-style games will be a new avenue to explore, and in this sense you'll be getting more value out of your money than if you were to replace the psp.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 40
People still play UMDs on the PSP? Heh, man... mine hasn't had a UMD loaded in it for months.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 40
I'm not sure if I need to replace just the laser module or the whole UMD drive, since it's not clear to me what isn' working correctly. I think it's the laser, but I don't know for sure. I used rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to try and clean the laser, but I'll try again tomorrow with 99% ethanol instead. I don't think it should make any difference, as they should both dry very quickly and cleanly, but the ethanol I have is analytical ethanol and has far fewer impurities in it than old rubbing alcohol I have in the cupboard.

I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer.. I used to be, but now it's just 15-30 minutes here and there. If I have serious time, I'd like to play CS or some FPS, but I don't have a computer for that. I've been playing WoW sometimes.

I'll consider replacing the laser module myself though. Where did you find it? eBay?

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 40
I think that is for the PSP 1000, and I have the PSP Slim (2000). I am seriously considering selling my UMDs, buying an 8 or 16GB memory stick, and just downloading games from Sony- they're fairly reasonably priced.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 40
Dang dude I had the same problem before on my original psp. After a month it just stopped reading UMD's and cleaning did nothing. I took it back to the store and got a new one =/.

Psp's are just built like crap imo, not happy with the purchase and they feel flimsy as hell. I won't tell you to get a DS =0 but I do enjoy mine with a flash cart.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 40
I've never had any problems with my psp (original fat model). I'd suggest installing custom firmware if you don't want to deal with fixing it yourself. Because you own the games, you should be legally able to make backups of them if you don't want to deal with selling and then buying again. You also get a lot of additional functionality, allowing you to install pretty much anything you want.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 40
If the UMD drive was functioning at all, I would totally do that- but I can't get it to read anything at this point. Initially I could get it to work by repeatedly opening and closing the drive door. On the other hand, I guess I can try it and see if the CFW will make it work. Can you point me in that direction?

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by asher7323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang dude I had the same problem before on my original psp. After a month it just stopped reading UMD's and cleaning did nothing. I took it back to the store and got a new one =/.

Psp's are just built like crap imo, not happy with the purchase and they feel flimsy as hell. I won't tell you to get a DS =0 but I do enjoy mine with a flash cart.

I'd get a DS, but there aren't a lot of games for it that I'm really interested in.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the UMD drive was functioning at all, I would totally do that- but I can't get it to read anything at this point. Initially I could get it to work by repeatedly opening and closing the drive door. On the other hand, I guess I can try it and see if the CFW will make it work. Can you point me in that direction?

You don't have the most recent type of PSP right? Just the "older" slim model?
You're definitely going to want to use Dark Alex's new M33 firmware (I believe the most recent is 5.00 M33-6), though there's a certain way you have to go about installing it.

I just found this tutorial. I don't know if it's the best, but it seems to tell you everything you need to know. In regards to the pandora battery, I know places like dealextreme sell ready to use pandora batteries for $5 or so. I didn't go through this process for my fat psp (did it a long time ago), so I can't really help you all that much past answering general questions.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 40
My PSP was given to me as a Christmas gift in 2007- it's not the new 3000. But if the drive won't read anything anymore, I'm not sure how loading a CFW is going to help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back