PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Apr 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #271 of 330
So after a period of usage I think I am fairly comfortable about the nature of M4U-4. In short it goes great with live music and not so much with modern pop.

Listening to this recording for instances it feels like you are there:

Chord Mojo owners should give this a go, a must, to me m4u-4 sounds best from Mojo, perhaps if I spend more time with chord hugo I will get to like that pairing but for now Mojo does it for me.

Why I purchased the m4u 4: Lately I am finding myself to purchase those design that seem to have put some science into their design and they can back it up. Am I disappointed? Not really, while I do not think m4u 4 tonality is suited for all genera of music, not to mention how hard it was for me to drive it using regular music sources it, ignoring all that it is the most coherence hybrid IEM I have tried. To me in terms of coherency beats k3303, FLC8 and CKR10 which is push-pull dynamic driver. What it lacks is musicality at times, it is something that AKT8iE has. I find using spinfi tip, the small size I can push the IEM all the way in which improves isolation for me.

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #272 of 330
Finding the right tip: What at end worked best for me is the small spin-fit tip. I used the smallest one and push the IEM as deep as it can go ensure to still have a good seal. None of the provided tip worked for me, specially the comply.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #274 of 330
My set have annoyingly developed a fault after a short time - let's see how their customer support is.

I’m assuming it's just a matter of swapping out the cable, but the in-line remote doesn’t skip or pause tracks anymore, or let me answer calls and adjust volume.

Anyone else had this issue?

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #275 of 330
I've not using the cable with in-line remote. I'm happy with the plain cable and so far haven't had any issues. The more I'm using this earphone, the more I'm liking it. I just love the sound signature. I wanted to test how much bass it can handle and eq'ed it, this set handled it without any problem. I like just the slight bump in bass and the thump and it was too much for me, so back to my almost flat :)

May 27, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #276 of 330
I ended up going straight to AMP3, where I bought them from, and they've just confirmed that they're faulty. Really frustrating that an expensive product like that can fail so soon. I barely used them.

I was already nervous after reading about the M4U 2's hit and miss build quality, but now my own experience with these makes me question whether or not to go for the same again.

AMP3 don't stock them anymore in any case.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #277 of 330
Sorry about your bad experience, mfid! Did you ever get it sorted out? I had similar problems with the durability of the headband on the M4U 1, so I am hesitant to purchase another pair of PSB headphones. Just curious (if you've heard both), but how did the sound of the 4 compare to the 1 over-ears?

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #278 of 330
AMP3 offered a refund, so I took it. Now left wondering if I should bother investing in another pair of corded headphones when everything I'm reading about the next iPhone suggests it won't have an audio jack output.

Never heard the M4U 2's or 1's. Don't think I'll consider PSB until I see an obvious increase in build quality. Just completely inexcusable that headphones that expensive have failed in such a short time and with such little use. So disappointing.

Think I'll try to replace the headband on my ATH-M50s and use them for a little longer.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #280 of 330
Alas my M4U4 have died the horrible death of the washing machine...

RIP M4U4...

To bad too as I was just about to do a head to head comparison between them and the Focal Sphear, KEF M100, AKG N20U. I guess I will just have to use my other comparison post and memory to fill in the for the M4U4 instead.

Hi dweaver, based on your memory, how would you describe the differences between the M4U 4 and the Sphear and which one would you prefer and why?

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #282 of 330
Just an update on M4U4, I certainly like the M4U4 that i will need to make time to write on them. I am full certain that I have put it into enough scenario that I know its strength and weakness.

The major weakness of it is not sound related but more fitting and wear related. The housing doesnt isolate too well and it sticks out too much. The over ear design tend to keep slide off and it doesnt secure too well.

The big strength of M4U4 is its bass definition. I really enjoy the fast, detailed and dynamic bass of the M4u4.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #283 of 330
  Just an update on M4U4, I certainly like the M4U4 that i will need to make time to write on them. I am full certain that I have put it into enough scenario that I know its strength and weakness.

The major weakness of it is not sound related but more fitting and wear related. The housing doesnt isolate too well and it sticks out too much. The over ear design tend to keep slide off and it doesnt secure too well.

The big strength of M4U4 is its bass definition. I really enjoy the fast, detailed and dynamic bass of the M4u4.

It fits me perfectly like a custom IEM (I've slept with them in with no problems) and because of the good fit, I get good isolation. I'm still using the comply foam tips that it got shipped with. Didn't even bother to try any other tips. The over ear design slipping of - Use the y split in the cable and move it closer to your chin and it stays put.

Yes the overall sound and the bass is very good. No coloration in the sound frequencies.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #284 of 330
Good day I have the psb in ear. someone has problems with the silicone eartips?
I have tried different varieties, all are hissing. the frequency at 10khz is strongly emphasized. The result are strong hiss loud. with the HTC one M8 (Neutron Music Player)
Do I need to reduce 7-8 db. on the homepage of the hifi magazine Soundstage! it is mentioned that with silicone tips up to 10db more high-tone to hear is between 8 - 12khz! I can confirm. complys are no longer an option for me. The ingestion incredible detail throughout the entire frequency range and the resolution is also heard worse! The sound stage is one of the best i have ever heard in ear. i know as the stage diver SD2, and also custo Mart Harmony 8.2.

The Hifi magazine sound days has the PSB in the ear in your reference list. Previously there was a In Ear representing the Etymotic ER-4 research.
Currently I use the small eartips of the brand spinfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back