PSB or Wharfedale Budget bookshelves?
Dec 16, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #31 of 34
If you do decide to return the PSB's, consider the Omage AV21. Should run you around $100 including shipping. Do a search to find a thread with info and where to buy.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #32 of 34
The problem I am now faced with is that my 3220 didn't have the features I assumed it would have (couldn't find any definitive features list online.) The amp does not have A/B speaker selection nor does it have pre outs. (It doesn't have tone defeat or X-way binding posts either...) The way it is, I can't really add a subwoofer in a natural way. I had planned on adding a bass shaker to the B speaker output so that i was toggle-able. Now it would be always on, not something I would look forward to. No preout/main in means no sub wired in an elegant manner as far as I can tell.

Of all my speaker choices, I think the PSB's have the best bass response. Given I can no longer add a sub in a reasonable way that's not a hack job, wiring in parallel etc, I think I may stick with these speakers. If I had all those features I had originally expected, I would be sorely tempted to trade down to some cheaper smaller speakers with less bass response and get the Dayton 10" 100 watt partsexpress.com subwoofer, with the intention of getting the ascend acoustics cbm-170 in a year or two.

It seems I'm in a bind until I get a better amp. If I ever get the NAD 320BEE, I may consider selling off the PSB's and getting the ascend cbm-170's with a sub. This seems to be the most reasonable route to take.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
On european boards, glowing reviews aren't for the 8.2 . The good speakers to pick are the 8.1, the smallest ones. They sound far better, if less powerfull in the bass (of course, they're smaller). The 8.2 are mostly adviced as home theater speakers, while the 8.1 are adviced as small hifi speakers. It's a categorization that sounded right to my ears when i was shopping.

Anyway, the case for wharfedale is closed in here.

I might have got in a bit late to this thread, but I used to own the 8.2, and on a forum I frequented, many people have heard both the 8.2 and 8.1. Personally, I would be inclined to agree the Diamonds are very overrated, the press did indeed make them out to be great speakers, when in fact, they were not. Spend just a little more, and you have speakers which, and no exagerration, will blow these into the weeds. In fact, second hand might be the way to go, you'll get a better speaker for less.

As for the 8.1 v 8.2, well everyone who I know whos compared them thinks the 8.2 is by FAR superior to the 8.1. I will not even repeat the language that is often used to describe those...

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 34
well, i guess it's to each one its own in this hobby
redface.gif
I didn't like any mission speakers i've heard so far and from your profile (cans and music), I guess we're in search of different sounds. That's why ooheadsoo should listen as much as he can before buying anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back