PSB or Wharfedale Budget bookshelves?
Dec 12, 2003 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a deal from yawaonline for either a pair of PSB Image 2B for a fairly average price, or a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 for a little more than half that price. I will be powering these speakers off an old NAD 3220, 20wpc power envelope circuitry. Which set of speakers should I get? Will the Wharfedales be too much for my amp to handle? Nominal impedance is 6 ohms on them and they have a low sensitivity at 86db. I do like the option to bi-amp them though. (Not that I have a second vintage NAD on hand or know when I could get one.) The PSB's are more sensitive, reportedly easy to place (I have bad placement possibilities) and are magnetically shielded. I can't confirm if the Wharfedales are shielded. The company brochure shows a shield in the pictures but does not mention shielding any where. I would like the option of using the speakers straddling my monitor.

FYI, my budget is hopefully much less than $250. The PSB price I have from Yawa is just over $250 by a small chunk of dough.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 34
I never cared too much for the Wharfedale. The PSB Image series of speakers really, really impressed me though.

--Chris

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 34
How bad would I feel downgrading to an Image 1B? The bass isn't THAT much worse, is it?

Dec 12, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
How bad would I feel downgrading to an Image 1B? The bass isn't THAT much worse, is it?

It's enough that you'd notice for sure. I listened to both in the shop and bass resposne was IMO the only significant difference between the 1B and the 2B in terms of sound.

(Note that I actually own the 1B's, but just as surrounds in my HT setup.)

Haven't heard the Wharfdales, but have head people claim they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, and other say things like hepcamp did. I'd listen somewhere before buying those.

Dec 12, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 34
the wharfedale are a little marvel to my ears. They certainly let the mission m71 and m73 in the dust, with a few others. They have this vivid soundstage, peaceful midrange and charming highs I've rarely heard at this point price.

But 20W is certainly a problem. If your room isn't small, if your amp is not fast and alive (I kinda doubt of the nad abilities under this respect), you're asking for bad sound.

Dec 12, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 34
Yes with the insensitivity of the Wharfedales, I think they're out of the equation. The PSB impedance is also a nasty 6 ohms but at least the sensitivity is a bit higher.

I was reminded in my research of another option: Ed Frias's extensively modded BIC DV-62si. Runs me $250 on the button. The sensitivity is 90db and impedance is nominally 8ohms, much better than the PSB's. All the reviews I've read on it were good. Hard to say without auditioning though, and it will be near impossible for me to do so. I've read some 30 5 star reviews on audioreview.com.

Dec 12, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 34
I was using Wharfedale 8.2 for a bit and thought they were good for the money. That was before I heard the PSB speakers. The Wharfedale's are,IMO,very much overated. They sound good,but some of the almost unbelievable reviews they get are suspect at best. It seems the British press started this frenzy and once the speakers got out in people's hands the truth was bit different. Don't get me wrong,I think they are good speakers,but you will certainly do much better with the PSBs. Bass depth and definition is no comparison,you would really have to be biased or hard of hearing to miss that. Soundstaging is also much more realistic with the PSB and imaging is very good for such an inexpensive speaker.

After some of the Glowing reviews I have read for speakers like the Mission Mini-monitors(the entire line of them) the Wharfedales and KEF minis,I don't trust the British press at all for speaker reviews. I don't think it's anything bad,but our listening tastes are very far apart. I think most British designed small speakers are meant to be placed in small rooms,close to walls, and it seems the British audio press is accustomed to this.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 34
Haven't heard the Wharfedales, but am very happy with my PSB Image 2Bs. Also, there was a definate improvement in the 2B versus the 1B when I auditioned in-store - most obvious benefits being a 'fuller' sound (less 'boxy') and better bass response. I don't think you will be disappointed with the PSBs, especially with the NAD amp, but do be aware that the metal dome tweeters may accenuate any brightness in your system.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 34
One reason I liked the PSB's is because I hoped the agressive highs would balance with the rolled off treble on the NAD.

I forgot to mention that the best placement I can use (and I'm not sure if I can use this placement because these speakers are so heavy) is to mount them on a wall up above my desk in a corner of my room and tilt them down to point at my ears. Sitting them on my desk would probably ruin the imaging. That's why I've mainly been considering front ported enclosures.

Assuming I have studs in my wall strong enough to support these speakers, the wall mounts will cost me another $50 :horror:

Looks like everyone's a fan of the PSB so far.

Any opinions on the Frias modded Bics?

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 34
Almost forgot, now that i'm firmly entrenched at the top end of my price range, here are a few more options I'd love to get opinions on. The Athena AS-B2's suddenly look very good.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 34
There is no point in getting speakers that big if you're going to hang them and point them down. You wont get the best out of them. Check out Acoustic Energys 2.1 system. Its gotten great reviews from British and American press.It comes with a 2 satellites and a powered subwoofer. $399.

Dec 13, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 34
Speaking about the Athena's which are made in China now.
How bout the Sound Dynamics line.
I had the RTS-3 and the RTS-7 both are very good sounding speakers. The RTS7 doesn't even need a sub. The sound was very smooth, I guess due to their soft dome tweeters.
I kinda wish I still had them.

Dec 13, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 34
They won't be pointing straight down at me of course. It would be at a 30 degree angle or so, and when I sit back in my chair and lean back, I think they would be lined up with my ears within 5 degrees. Unforunately, my desk is designed so that I sit at the far left of the table, and the whole table isn't very wide. If I placed the speakers a good 2-3 feet apart, I wouldn't be very close to the sweet spot, not to mention being way to close to the speakers in general for a non near field set. Of course, my situation in this room won't be permanent, just for the forseeable future. I would like to have a set of speakers I will genuinely be happy with and not feel the bug bite when I get a more powerful amp.

Edit: Bundee, I already have a set similar to the AE Aego 2
tongue.gif

Edit 507: Another option seems to be the AE Aegis 2 towers. On ebay for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back