PSB M4U 2
Dec 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #301 of 733
Just picked these up today about an hour ago.  Out of the box, they sound quite good.  Not to far from the D2000s, for me.  On the iPod they sound great on active mode.  Amped with my Shanling PH-100, on passive mode, they sound quite good as well, but have had a couple of odd sound drop outs.  Haven't tried noise canceling yet. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #304 of 733
Quote:
Well I'm testing the Fiio E17 with these today and I am mighty impressed, soundstage, separation, depth, everything is improved and to a considerable extent. I know what I am getting for Xmas!

Based on a couple of themes in this thread, the M4U 1 with an amp seems the way to go. Based on my A/Bs, the noise cancellation of the 2s is far inferior to the Bose QC15s and my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7Bs, and the ANC hiss is BAD. They're also far less portable and it seems like sitting in a plane is not going to be why these are bought. Rather, sitting at home where, as a number of posts have pointed out, the frequency distribution does not sit well with the ANC response, which peaks in the mid-range and so happens to fit well with eg engine noise. But they sound best in non-ANC active mode, ie they need amping. So the 1s seem like an outstanding passive phone but the 2s seem to fall a bit between two stools. Given the do-over, I would go for the 1s and fund an amp with the saving. Just my 2c based on a couple of A/Bs. And personally, I do find them squeezing  my pinneas where the other two sit well clear.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #306 of 733
^but the way I see it based on reviews, the internal amp of the M4U2 is very decent. It's just like paying USD100 for the amp (let's just say the cancellation goes in for free) and its very convenient since its already internal. Unless the M4U1 can sing with the likes of FiiO E6?

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #307 of 733
Absolutely, so it's horses for courses; whether you'd use an amp on another set, whether you'd want controls on an amp, the ability to drive off the dock outlet of an iPod etc. There is a weight consideration, of course. It's arguably minor; 362g plays 340g, but you're already way up there (eg on my airplane portability point, the Bose--obviously a very different phone--is 192g and you're lucky to be allowed to carry on the M4U case :). And yes the noise cancellation is a very secondary consideration; as the curves show, the electronic component of it is gone completely by 1000Hz; you get the passive component with the 1s as well, obviously. As I said, this suits plane noise well, which puts the 2s' ANC mode between two stools, in my view. But it's individual preference and in whatever form is chosen, it's a rocking non-ANC headphone.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #308 of 733
Quote:
Based on a couple of themes in this thread, the M4U 1 with an amp seems the way to go. Based on my A/Bs, the noise cancellation of the 2s is far inferior to the Bose QC15s and my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7Bs, and the ANC hiss is BAD. They're also far less portable and it seems like sitting in a plane is not going to be why these are bought. Rather, sitting at home where, as a number of posts have pointed out, the frequency distribution does not sit well with the ANC response, which peaks in the mid-range and so happens to fit well with eg engine noise. But they sound best in non-ANC active mode, ie they need amping. So the 1s seem like an outstanding passive phone but the 2s seem to fall a bit between two stools. Given the do-over, I would go for the 1s and fund an amp with the saving. Just my 2c based on a couple of A/Bs. And personally, I do find them squeezing  my pinneas where the other two sit well clear.

Very personal I think. I will be using them on planes, probably without a separate amp for convenience. Though I understand your view as well. I think for the difference I would still go for the 2's as it's not that much cost and it gives you more flexability.

Also on a weight topic. I took the batteries out of mine (needed them for an xmas present!) and I have not replaced them yet as I am using the Fiio to amp and enjoying the weight loss! Makes a considerable difference, more than expected at least!

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #309 of 733
Cool, yes: I'm just throwing out ideas and as you say it's all very personal but designed to help those who are thinking of spending their cash. Let us know how you get on on planes.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #310 of 733
So I bought a set locally. Like them so far but today I was hooking them up to an E11 I got in the mail. As I was putting them on, I heard a crack. Yup, the band has a small crack now. I figured buying them this late in the game I'd be ok but that wasn't the case. The place I bought them from is trying to pawn me off on to PSB. I was hoping they'd swap them. Now I'm trying to decide if I should deal with PSB or just tell them to F off and return them. How has the turn around been from PSB? Pretty quick? Are the new ones much better? Kinda pissed that the store is trying to get me to go through PSB instead of taking care of it.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #311 of 733
Quote:
 Now I'm trying to decide if I should deal with PSB or just tell them to F off and return them. 

Better to return them for exchange, then tell them to F off  
biggrin.gif

The store should swap them for you. The dealer where I got mine exchanged them...twice. And they let me wait for the M4U1 to arrive, then they exchanged for that. They made me a very happy camper.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #312 of 733
Better to return them for exchange, then tell them to F off  :D

The store should swap them for you. The dealer where I got mine exchanged them...twice. And they let me wait for the M4U1 to arrive, then they exchanged for that. They made me a very happy camper.

They say they have a 30 day no hassle return policy, no question. Yet they want me to go through the manufacturer. Doesn't seem like no hassle to me. My only concern with exchanging it is I'd imagine my odds of getting old stock are high since it happened once. Not sure that's the best route. Might just return it and look at other options.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #314 of 733
Well it's a very sad day for me. After almost 8 months, my pair have just cracked on the plastic headband, going straight across the band. The grip on my head is gone and the headphones will need to be replaced. I will be contacting PSB I guess. I no longer live in the city where I bought them so I expect PSB should be the route I go.

Hopefully it will be a quick turn-around.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #315 of 733
Will us PSB fans now be known as crackheads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back