PSB M4U 2
Dec 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #288 of 733
I received my replacement set for the 'popping' issue in the right ear but mono/centre sounds seems to be slightly to the right.

Can anyone suggest a rough guide as to what is acceptable in terms of stereo balance? The first set were perfectly balanced so that anything in the centre would sound as such. If 0 is directly in front and 90 is directly to the right then this pair are between 5% and 10%. I wore the phones back to front and the sound now came more from the left (whereas the original pairs didn't) so it isn't my hearing or imagination :)

I'm loathe to send them back and buy yet another pair. Perhaps I am being too picky? I watch a lot of films, and main dialogue being a bit to the right would bug me immensely.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #289 of 733
Quote:
I received my replacement set for the 'popping' issue in the right ear but mono/centre sounds seems to be slightly to the right.

Can anyone suggest a rough guide as to what is acceptable in terms of stereo balance? The first set were perfectly balanced so that anything in the centre would sound as such. If 0 is directly in front and 90 is directly to the right then this pair are between 5% and 10%. I wore the phones back to front and the sound now came more from the left (whereas the original pairs didn't) so it isn't my hearing or imagination :)

I'm loathe to send them back and buy yet another pair. Am I being too picky?

IMO, if you can hear an imbalance, it is not acceptable.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #291 of 733
Quote:
IMO, if you can hear an imbalance, it is not acceptable.

Quote:

Thanks guys. I'll see what Amazon say. I still have two pairs as I'm awaiting the first set to be picked up for return, and bought the 2nd pair without any money being refunded. Somehow I think a third pair might be excessive until I receive some money back for the first two sets 
biggrin.gif
 Shame about the popping issue, the first set sounded great.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #293 of 733
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #294 of 733
Hi,

Thank you for your post. I bought the Bose Q15s and have a subway commute. The noise cancelling was great, but the pressure on my ears was way too much and I had to return them. I am wondering if you get that pressurized sensation with the PSB M4U 2s? I seem to be particularly sensitive to that.

Thank you.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #295 of 733
I'm sensitive to that as well and had to return several headphones because of it, glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I have no issues like this on the PSB, although they don't cancel quite as well as the Bose

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #296 of 733
I've been driving my new M4U 2s off my iPod. Good stuff, although the sound reduction is not what it might be in some situations. But that's not really why I bought them so no biggie. But I plugged into my Denon DRA-455 and disaster. This is a room-system amp with a headphone jack as opposed to a headphone amp but still... On active, the sound was fine but a LOT of noise at low volumes but on passive, unlistenable. Clipping and massive ditortion. I aborted for fear of damage. I had wondered about the low input impedance of the M4Us in passive mode but this appears to be a real manifestation of it. Any suggestions?

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #297 of 733
Hmm. With apologies, I now cannot fully replicate the passive problem. The noise is still immense on active but for that I blame the amp. Based on a lot of painful experience debugging, I switched the adapter and the distortion in passive mode cleared, even when going back to the original adapter. So it must have been a residual piece of swarf or something. 

Separately, I found the M4U 2s sat on my pinneas, leading to discomfort. I have a simple mod, if anyone else is experiencing this (I know at least one reviewer did http://www.audio-ideas.com/canadian/psb-m4u2.html ).

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #298 of 733
Quote:
I've been driving my new M4U 2s off my iPod. Good stuff, although the sound reduction is not what it might be in some situations. But that's not really why I bought them so no biggie. But I plugged into my Denon DRA-455 and disaster. This is a room-system amp with a headphone jack as opposed to a headphone amp but still... On active, the sound was fine but a LOT of noise at low volumes but on passive, unlistenable. Clipping and massive ditortion. I aborted for fear of damage. I had wondered about the low input impedance of the M4Us in passive mode but this appears to be a real manifestation of it. Any suggestions?

I would expect that double-amplifying any headphone would produce increased noise. Stop doing that!

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #299 of 733
Fair enough, but that does knock out the noise reduction mode. At least the M4Us have a passive mode; your reply suggests that eg Bose QC15s can never be used as "normal" headphones in a headphone jack. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #300 of 733
Quote:
Fair enough, but that does knock out the noise reduction mode. At least the M4Us have a passive mode; your reply suggests that eg Bose QC15s can never be used as "normal" headphones in a headphone jack. 

I'm sure others with more knowledge will correct me if I'm too far off, but I believe that the active noise cancelling is a feature that was put on the cans to eliminate certain noises like those found on plane/bus/train rides; a certain frequency range. Normally one would not have a power amp/receiver with them whilst on a bus/plane/train.

I'm not sure what the NC does on the M4U 2...I don't listen to it in that mode, ever. I suspect it does amplify as well so I wouldn't recommend NC on while using your receiver. It , the NC, won't drown out your wife/husband/kids other household noises anyway, so why bother to use them in that mode in your home? I'm not sure about the QC15 as I don't have them and haven't read their specs, but aren't they an always on NC headphone?

I know I'd never use NC in my house, I'm not sure why anyone would. Please explain if I've mis-read your post or misunderstood the statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back