PSB M4U 2
Dec 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #271 of 733
Quote:
Yes - I also called them and they said no changes were made, but materials vary, so I guess that could mean that no changes were intentionally made. All I know is what I hear and, as a result, I'm in a bit of a quandary!

I received my M4U1 last week and no creaking or cracking issues. Plastic material on headband feels a little less brittle.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #275 of 733
Hi People,

So how much do these open up over time? I've just received the headphones and I'm quite concerned with how they sound. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to try before buy and I don't really want to use them much, in case I have to try and get a refund.

Right now they sound slightly "dead" and shut in, which might be due to what I perceive as mid/up bass boost. This just seems to overpower the mid-range a bit to much. Now, I confess I'm kind of a "mid-head", but I do like my bass, just tight and going deep and not getting in the way of the mid range.

It seems my initial reaction fits with what some people who got new pairs have mentioned here (though I formed by opinion before reading those posts) and I'm hoping it's just a matter of them needing break in.. or but maybe the sound signature is just not for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sune

P.S. I'm using them with a uDac (1) currently, but this is likely to change.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #277 of 733
Can anyone with a pair please try this:

Turn on NC (with no music) and shake your head gently from side to side. My pair have a 'popping' sound in the right earpiece. I'm sure this is a defect with my set, but I'd better check before getting an exchange

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how the M4U1 compare to the AKG K550 and the Beyer DT770 pros?
Thanks a bunch!

A pair of 550s and M4U2s out of the box with no burn: The M4U 2s had less 'air' than the 550s. The 550s soundstage seemed wider, and detail was easier to pick out. However, I preferred the sound of the PSBs, instruments seemed more 'solid' for want of a better word. The AKGs were just to big for my head too, so I returned them. Very good though. I should say these observations were based on a few hours, and I've no idea how this would change with some hours on the clock.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #278 of 733
Quote:

Turn on NC (with no music) and shake your head gently from side to side. My pair have a 'popping' sound in the right earpiece. I'm sure this is a defect with my set, but I'd better check before getting an exchange

A pair of 550s and M4U2s out of the box with no burn: The M4U 2s had less 'air' than the 550s. The 550s soundstage seemed wider, and detail was easier to pick out. However, I preferred the sound of the PSBs, instruments seemed more 'solid' for want of a better word. The AKGs were just to big for my head too, so I returned them. Very good though. I should say these observations were based on a few hours, and I've no idea how this would change with some hours on the clock.

+1  I will add the M4U2 has far superior bass and sub-bass with a more natural, even sound across the range.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #280 of 733
Quote:
Craigster, if you have yours to hand can you try to reproduce the NC issue I have? I'm trying to work out if this is mechanical or electrical in nature ( and only affects my set). Cheers.

I auditioned several times, but don't own them.  I don't recall any popping with movement, so there may be something loose and I would suggest sending in for warranty service.

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #281 of 733
Quote:

I just put mine on to test for you. I have no "popping" of any sort when shaking my head with the NC on. Were your cables inserted snugly? I noticed that sometimes I end up yanking the cable out (snagging on a door knob or something while I'm walking around the house). 

Maybe you should exchange them and try the new set at the dealers shop?

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #282 of 733
Quote:

Quote:
+1  I will add the M4U2 has far superior bass and sub-bass with a more natural, even sound across the range.

Thanks for your input guys :). Still have a few questions if you don't mind... 1. The M4U2 == M4U1 without the 'on board' amp and NC right? So there isn't really any difference soundwise?
2. I'm planning on using these for drumming as well (playing along / recording etc), so some level of isolation (and a good fit :wink: )  is highly appreciated. Are these the right cans for me?

Again, thanks a lot!

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #283 of 733
Quote:
Hi People,

So how much do these open up over time? I've just received the headphones and I'm quite concerned with how they sound. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to try before buy and I don't really want to use them much, in case I have to try and get a refund.

Right now they sound slightly "dead" and shut in, which might be due to what I perceive as mid/up bass boost. This just seems to overpower the mid-range a bit to much. Now, I confess I'm kind of a "mid-head", but I do like my bass, just tight and going deep and not getting in the way of the mid range.

It seems my initial reaction fits with what some people who got new pairs have mentioned here (though I formed by opinion before reading those posts) and I'm hoping it's just a matter of them needing break in.. or but maybe the sound signature is just not for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sune

P.S. I'm using them with a uDac (1) currently, but this is likely to change.

Have you ever used "closed" headphones before? They usually have a slight "shut in" sound, but I find mine sound more like being in a dance club in the middle of the floor (shut-in). There's no congestion anywhere that I can hear. Maybe you need to re-position the cans on your head a bit. If I adjust either side by a millimeter or so, the sound changes. It's similar to moving a foot or two away from the sweet spot in a loud-speaker environment.

But to answer your question, my set (bought Apr. 2012) haven't changed in sound or tone in the 8 months I've been using them. There's no "opening" or "burn-in"  noticed here.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #284 of 733
Quote:

Thanks for your input guys :). Still have a few questions if you don't mind... 1. The M4U2 == M4U1 without the 'on board' amp and NC right? So there isn't really any difference soundwise?
2. I'm planning on using these for drumming as well (playing along / recording etc), so some level of isolation (and a good fit :wink: )  is highly appreciated. Are these the right cans for me?

Again, thanks a lot!

Everything I have read is that the M4U1 and M4U2 are almost identical sonically.  The only difference is the onboard amp.  I thought isolation was comparable to other closed headphones.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #285 of 733
So I guess I've just answered my own question. Without listening to the phones again, I left them playing for two nights and to my ears, this made quite a difference. They have opened up. Now it could be the ears, mood, blod sugar/caffene levels or just expectation (or whatever messes with your hearing), but what I'm hearing mirrors well the development I've heard with speakers.

I'm still not fully happy with what I'm hearing, but if they continue to develop, they just might become very very good.

"Have you ever used "closed" headphones before? They usually have a slight "shut in" sound, but I find mine sound more like being in a dance club in the middle of the floor (shut-in)."

Yeah actually the only open back headphones I've had was the Porta Pro's :) Right now I have the Senn HD380's (and some beat up Goldring ns-1000's). Putting on the HD380's after the PSB's, make the HD380's sound funny (though they are nice if you turn up the volume a bit and get over the pronounced upper mids - lovely deep reaching bass).

I think I'll give these a try.

Thanks!
Sune

Users who are viewing this thread

Back