PSB M4U 2
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #258 of 733
Can anyone compare the M4U2 to the MDR-1R? Also what is the biggest difference in SQ when NC is activated vs passive? Any input is much appreciated.

Can't compare but can comment on EQ. The NC takes a little response away from all freq ranges IMO. Though I am still waiting for mine to burn in, they do not sound as good as the loaner set I tried but they had been used for the best part of a year and I'm yet to run the batteries out on these (they last roughly 55 hrs) which is what I am using to keep track of the time I've been using them. The highs seem veiled compared to the loaner set, the sound stage is slightly narrower (I'm trying to convince myself that it's placebo but I'm not so certain?). Anyway, I am thinking of leaving them on over the weekend with some ACDC running? I have looked at the pads and the material covering the drivers is surprisingly thick! I am tempted to cut it or Dr it in some way? Anyone tried this? They come with spare pads so not a massive risk. I could also sew in some thinner material if necessary?

Look at me wanting to mod already! Where are my scissors :-D

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #259 of 733
Well I'm testing the Fiio E17 with these today and I am mighty impressed, soundstage, separation, depth, everything is improved and to a considerable extent. I know what I am getting for Xmas!

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #260 of 733
I'm curious about any and all differences between early and recent production runs of the M4U 2s. Here's why:

I bought a pair of M4U2s that had three specific issues: first, the headband developed the tiny cracks on both the left and right sides. Second, the headband creaked terribly. Third, when I would use them in active mode near my Apple router or my cordless phone base station, I would get feedback/interference/buzzing in the left ear.

I was sent a brand new replacement set from the retailer and the pair I received, while I was able to get rid of the creaking and feedback/interference was greatly reduced (but still present), it was from an even EARLIER production run than the first pair.

Leary of the early production units (having had one that cracked) I requested a second replacement from a recent batch. The one I received is definitely newer, it doesn't creak, and - I THINK - there may be a tiny bit more bass or sub-bass (but perhaps at the expense of the original balance or clarity of the original/early production units). HOWEVER, the feedback/interference/buzzing issue is worse than the first replacement set and about on par with my original pair.

I read here that one person who received a replacement set from a recent production run definitely noticed a bump in bass or sub-bass. Has anyone else noticed this or are my ears playing tricks on me? Has anyone noticed any OTHER changes in balance, soundstage, etc., between early production units and recent ones? If so, what is the consensus? Is one preferred over the other?  I'm stuck between picking the early unit that might have a touch less sub-bass and which pre-dates the QC fixes that addressed the cracking headbands, but which has less feedback/interference vs. the newer unit, which may have slightly more sub-bass, and may have an improved headband, but which has much more prominent feedback/interference issues. I was leaning towards the newer unit until I remembered to check the feedback issue. Now, I'm completely confused.

At this point, I've gone back and forth between the two so much that I can't even hear myself think anymore. Therefore, I could use some advice.

Many thanks.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #261 of 733
I'm curious about any and all differences between early and recent production runs of the M4U 2s. Here's why:

I bought a pair of M4U2s that had three specific issues: first, the headband developed the tiny cracks on both the left and right sides. Second, the headband creaked terribly. Third, when I would use them in active mode near my Apple router or my cordless phone base station, I would get feedback/interference/buzzing in the left ear.

I was sent a brand new replacement set from the retailer and the pair I received, while I was able to get rid of the creaking and feedback/interference was greatly reduced (but still present), it was from an even EARLIER production run than the first pair.

Leary of the early production units (having had one that cracked) I requested a second replacement from a recent batch. The one I received is definitely newer, it doesn't creak, and - I THINK - there may be a tiny bit more bass or sub-bass (but perhaps at the expense of the original balance or clarity of the original/early production units). HOWEVER, the feedback/interference/buzzing issue is worse than the first replacement set and about on par with my original pair.

I read here that one person who received a replacement set from a recent production run definitely noticed a bump in bass or sub-bass. Has anyone else noticed this or are my ears playing tricks on me? Has anyone noticed any OTHER changes in balance, soundstage, etc., between early production units and recent ones? If so, what is the consensus? Is one preferred over the other?  I'm stuck between picking the early unit that might have a touch less sub-bass and which pre-dates the QC fixes that addressed the cracking headbands, but which has less feedback/interference vs. the newer unit, which may have slightly more sub-bass, and may have an improved headband, but which has much more prominent feedback/interference issues. I was leaning towards the newer unit until I remembered to check the feedback issue. Now, I'm completely confused.

At this point, I've gone back and forth between the two so much that I can't even hear myself think anymore. Therefore, I could use some advice.

Many thanks.

Very interesting! I am of the opinion that the loaner set I had initially had a wider, more open sound stage and were also a tad clearer in the highs. I have not put that many hours on my set and as you may have read in earlier posts, I noted that I found "differences'. I have probably still not hit 55 hours on them (batteries still going strong) but am noticing they have opened up a bit with regards to soundstage though I am now listening with an E17 which will no doubt help in that dept. I still feel the highs aren't as clear. I am VERY tempted to cut the cloth from inside the earpiece to see if that makes a difference. I am also going to try 1 or 2 other easy (and more importantly reversible) mods. I may try this week if I get time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #262 of 733
Sorry to "chirp in" again. Forgot to mention that I actually EQ the E17 to +4 on treble when listening with the PSB's. I will try to also get the loaner set back and make A-B comps.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #263 of 733
Quote:
Very interesting! I am of the opinion that the loaner set I had initially had a wider, more open sound stage and were also a tad clearer in the highs. I have not put that many hours on my set and as you may have read in earlier posts, I noted that I found "differences'. I have probably still not hit 55 hours on them (batteries still going strong) but am noticing they have opened up a bit with regards to soundstage though I am now listening with an E17 which will no doubt help in that dept. I still feel the highs aren't as clear. I am VERY tempted to cut the cloth from inside the earpiece to see if that makes a difference. I am also going to try 1 or 2 other easy (and more importantly reversible) mods. I may try this week if I get time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you for your input. I'm not running either pair through anything. Just direct from iPod classic or macbook pro. At least I know I'm not crazy. If I trust my ears, the older set is cleaner, there is more separation and articulation in the highs, and, while the bass is less powerful, they are more balanced. The newer set (supposedly with the improved plastics for the headband) are more intense, but not as clean or wide-open. So, now the question is: which set do I keep? Everyone I've talked to says I should keep the newer set, due to the QC issues, and I've already had a set that developed cracks. But sound-wise, I'm really on the fence and, if I'm leaning one way or the other, it would be towards the older set. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #264 of 733
I don't hear any of the "problems" you guys are hearing. I have stated that my set did have a touch more sub-bass punch but not a huge difference. My high end detail is as good as ever. I still hear great top end with all the separation and impressive soundstage as I did in my original set. The onlyndifference is a touch more bass on the lowest end. The mid-bass and midrange is the same with no bleed at all. I had my old set for 3 days while I burnt the new set in and made a bunch of comparisons. I'm not saying you aren't hearing those things but I think it could be much more about the specific set you have versus PSB making changes to the sound signature.

As a side note, I called PSB and talked to them about what you guys are saying. They told me nothing has changed in their design at all.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #265 of 733
Quote:
I don't hear any of the "problems" you guys are hearing. I have stated that my set did have a touch more sub-bass punch but not a huge difference. My high end detail is as good as ever. I still hear great top end with all the separation and impressive soundstage as I did in my original set. The onlyndifference is a touch more bass on the lowest end. The mid-bass and midrange is the same with no bleed at all. I had my old set for 3 days while I burnt the new set in and made a bunch of comparisons. I'm not saying you aren't hearing those things but I think it could be much more about the specific set you have versus PSB making changes to the sound signature.
As a side note, I called PSB and talked to them about what you guys are saying. They told me nothing has changed in their design at all.

Yes - I also called them and they said no changes were made, but materials vary, so I guess that could mean that no changes were intentionally made. All I know is what I hear and, as a result, I'm in a bit of a quandary!

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #266 of 733
I don't think I'm mad, I know I heard a difference. Now, whether that is due to 'burn in' or not is what I am waiting ( and really hoping) to find out. I also worry about "materials" differing. That is a very obscure statement in my opinion. I'm still happy with them but am hoping (and almost praying) that they open up a bit more and give me that WOW factor I got from the loan set.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #270 of 733
Quote:
Just to chime in on this thread... the M4U 2's just got Sound+Visions "2012 Product of the Year" 

Well done, PSB!  Every bit of recognition these headphones receive is well deserved.  I personally consider the 1 a better value, but the M4U series as a whole are the best sounding headphones released this year (from what I've owned/demoed, anyway) and they remain criminally underrated here on Head-Fi and elsewhere.  The only 2012 audio-related product that I would rank ahead of it is the Audioquest DragonFly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back