PSB M4U 2
Dec 23, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #556 of 733
Tracer99 I hear you man. I'm a little disappointed that they wouldn't take care of the issue. They were purchased used though right? I'm hoping that if you were the original owner that they would have given you a better option.

I'm still loving the PSB-M4U2 bigtime. I'm listening to Lalle Larsson ' s Weaveworld albums alot on them as well as a group called Trioscapes and another group called Stuck Mojo and everything sounds absolutely amazing on them. But, I'm noticing the mids don't have that upfront crunchy grinding sound I'd like a bit more of from electric guitar sounds. I've always heard of Sennheiser headphones be accused of having something dubbed "the Sennheiser veil" and I'm wondering if the PSB have something like that as well.

I'm hoping to get some Grado SR60i soon to get a bit of a brighter more open sound for certain types of music.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #557 of 733
A Co-Worker has a pair of Grado SR325e
Unfortunately, I've only ever tried them in our office and being open air type, they are hard to discern in a noisy environment. I would not purchase them as I spend 90% of my headphone time in the office.

I hear you about the Sennheisers. I have a pair of PC360s at home (high end gaming headset) and though they are incredibly comfortable, they lack a certain clarity that I like. Overall I find the PSBs do sound better and fuller.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #558 of 733
Tracer99 I hear you man. I'm a little disappointed that they wouldn't take care of the issue. They were purchased used though right? I'm hoping that if you were the original owner that they would have given you a better option.

Yeah, they were purchased used. And upon further inspection things are sketchy. I bought them through craigslist, from a dude in Pickering, ON. This is notable because that is where PSB is located. I purchased an 'as new boxed pair' but no receipt. The headphones and the box both lack a serial number. 

I think after I sent them my detailed explanation of what went wrong though they were nicer to me as it was obvious that it wasn't abuse or neglect but an obvious product fault. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #559 of 733
I've has a sort of a realization recently that has me a little worried. After purchasing a set of Grado SR60i's, which I've fallen in love with for their sound(crunchy grinding mids that I didn't know I could get) and comfort (they all but disappear after a few minutes of use) I'm slightly worried that I won't be using the PSB as much.

I feel the PSB is head and shoulders above the Grado in bass extension and bass texture and has a warmer and more beautifully balanced sound that is just gorgeous to listen to for certain types of music, but I'm beginning to think I'm more of a mid-head and also the ear pads on the PSB are like heaven for a few minutes and then get excessively hot too fast.

I'd love to continue to look forward to using the PSB's as much as I do the Grados. And I can't believe I didn't just go with Grado first. These SR 60's cost me 50 bucks and the sound, unmodded, to me is exactly what I want besides the fact they lack some detail, but not punch, in the bass.

Has anyone here ever done any mods to either earpads, cables on the PSB or found if they work really well with any particular exterior amp?

Sorry for the long post. This forum is heaven to me. Thanks for everything. It's been a blessed year with this new hobby and spending time here in the mecca of headphone talk. Cheers.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #560 of 733
Awesome post.

Thanks by the way for clearing that up for me because there was a pair of Viso on the shelf where I got the PSB, and had heard they were made by same creator. And wondered which was better.

I was wondering if anyone has found any songs where the amp on the on the M4U2 really makes a dramatic difference in the presentation of the song. I have found a few and am hoping to post a list here on this thread in case anyone is interested to hear what this built in amp can do.

Source and amp matters:

I originally played my PSB-2 through my iPhone 4s (actually not a bad source for a phone). I always preferred the sound amped when using the iPhone. It extended the highs and lows, even when adjusted to avoid volume bias.

This year I bought a Fiio X-5. The PSB's pair well with this portable player. I NEVER use the PSB amp with my Fiio player. There is no improvement in sound quality, in fact the sound is more metallic/computerized with internal amping on.

If your source puts out enough juice (not necessarily max volume), internal headphone amping doesn't help. I am still glad I have the PSB-2's for plane trips.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #561 of 733
Source and amp matters:

I originally played my PSB-2 through my iPhone 4s (actually not a bad source for a phone). I always preferred the sound amped when using the iPhone. It extended the highs and lows, even when adjusted to avoid volume bias.

This year I bought a Fiio X-5. The PSB's pair well with this portable player. I NEVER use the PSB amp with my Fiio player. There is no improvement in sound quality, in fact the sound is more metallic/computerized with internal amping on.

If your source puts out enough juice (not necessarily max volume), internal headphone amping doesn't help. I am still glad I have the PSB-2's for plane trips.

I'm using mine with a DX-90. I alternate between headphones out - low/med gain - amp on; med/high gain - amp off; Line out - amp on.

I think that my favourite sound is out of the Line Out with the amp on.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #562 of 733
Bought M4U2 for almost a year and I used it mainly when I'm traveling. But lately, I'm pairing it with my new Marantz PM6005, playing music through JRiver MC. Enjoying it again very much. But, find the headphone a bit tight and getting hot around my ears.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #563 of 733
There is no improvement in sound quality, in fact the sound is more metallic/computerized with internal amping on.

I half agree. From the psbspeakers.com faq page

"What is ‘Room Feel™’?
Room Feel™ is the name we have given to the unique transfer function developed by PSB that gives the same open dimensional sound to headphones that has previously only been experienced with high-end loudspeakers. 

What is the function of the amplifier?
In addition to applying Room Feel™ EQ and Active Noise Cancelling, the amplifier provides an ‘easy load’ to your portable source device, reducing distortion and extending battery life. Technically, the impedance of the M4U 2 goes from 35 Ohms (passive) to 10,000 Ohms (active) and provides 5dB–15dB additional gain depending on the source impedance of the portable music player."

Depending on song and/or mood I prefer having it on. Other times not, eg when powered by Headstage Arrow amp :) 
Just preference, not better or worse. Right now listening to Queen's Somebody to Love straight from iPhone with Accudio app and M4U2 amp profile selected. I'm loving it!!

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #564 of 733
Wow. There are countless songs that have left me shocked at how good they come across on the PSB-M4U2. But these two tracks in particular, from the album Dirty & Beautiful Volume 2 featuring Alan Holdsworth, Wayne Krantz and other greats, are really getting me. The sound is just something else in terms of being clean and separated and detailed with excellent bass extension and texture on the PSB. There's good soundstage too for a closed can. I think I've heard the PSB be compared to the open back HD650 in terms of sound quality.

The songs 'Fred 2011' with Alan Holdsworth, Jan Hammer, Jimmy Johnson and Gary Husband.

And the song 'East River Jam' with Wayne Krantz and Gary Husband.

305d643d3347651fe93e52f54cc2f407.jpg

Lately, being in Massachusetts where it is cold now, I've been wearing a beanie and the headphones over that which has helped tremendously with the ears-overheating issue and the feeling of excessive clamping which makes these even better for me now.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #565 of 733
Just found out that M4U2 Amplified mode doesn't work with other 3.5mm audio cable other than their own supplied cable.  And, connecting it to my Marantz PM6005 ampliflier, if you turn on the ANC or Amplified mode, there's an electric buzz noise. Anyone find these same problems?

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #566 of 733
  Just found out that M4U2 Amplified mode doesn't work with other 3.5mm audio cable other than their own supplied cable.  And, connecting it to my Marantz PM6005 ampliflier, if you turn on the ANC or Amplified mode, there's an electric buzz noise. Anyone find these same problems?

the jack need to have 3 poles instead of typical 3 in order for the amp mode to work. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #567 of 733
thks. just found out in the eralier thread.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #568 of 733
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to tighten these headphones up?  I have owned them for a few years now, and have found that they are a bit loose.  When I hold them to my ears with my hands (not too much, just a bit) the sound improves enormously.  I could change the ear pads, but I don't think thats the problem as they are still the same shape as the extra pair of pads I have.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #569 of 733
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to tighten these headphones up?  I have owned them for a few years now, and have found that they are a bit loose.  When I hold them to my ears with my hands (not too much, just a bit) the sound improves enormously.  I could change the ear pads, but I don't think thats the problem as they are still the same shape as the extra pair of pads I have.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

The only way I know is having the headphones as closed as possible. The more extended the headband, the looser the fit.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #570 of 733
How good would the M4U be for studio use? Are they sensitive to slight eq, effects, and dynamics adjustments as well as very dramatic adjustments? I read a few posts claiming they are forgiving. Is that cause they just sound so good? Do they have the detail for critical listening? Would they be good at being able to tell me if something mix wise isn't quite right? How are they at being able to distinguish between lower and higher quality files?

I might be barking up the wrong tree with looking into this set, but I'd really like a studio can with as natural a sound as possible. Kind of tired of cold analytical cans or cans that are on the muddy side like the M50, or ear piercingly bright like the 7506, when it comes to studio work. These have good potential for suiting my wants.

Lastly, how good are these at handling the hard drums and sub bass of Hip Hop? I don't need M50 like bass or impact, but I need to know if those aspects are handled and presented well.

Please give me feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back