PSB M4U 2
Nov 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #541 of 733
Thanks very much, man.

I guess I'm just looking for sound and comfort and portability and to use an open-design headphone for home use with devices like android phone and iPad.

For musical styles including any Jazz fusion or professional musician like Weckl, Wackerman, Lalle Larsson, Stanley Clarke, etc. As well as experimental music like Dadub and Kilimanjaro Darkjazz and also metal like Meshuggah and Mastodon and groups such as Primus and Neurosis. I guess that to think that there is any one headphone that would sound great with all of those kinds of recordings as well as underground hip-hop might be a bit too optimistic.

For me soundstage and separation and detail retrieval would be most important with a sound signature of any kind that worked well with the kinds of music mentioned above, or that just left the listener satisfied that they'd just witnessed a very competent or even fun (colored or otherwise) way to present any recording.

By the way, it was this very thread along with its many links provided to mentions of the PSB-M4U2/Paul Barton, ClintTheAudioGuy on YouTube, and Amazon reviews that lead me to selecting the M4U2 as my first audiophile-level headphone and it was a great choice. They sound absolutely unreal for a closed back headphone with detail and soundstage and an even perfect sound that amaze me.

Something that I didn't think would happen though is that I've discovered that for me comfort is almost as important as sound in choosing a headphone. While the M4U2 have the most comfortable ear pads I've ever tried on a closed-back headphone, the weight and clamping pressure never allow me to forget I'm wearing phones. The sound quality is worth it though, it's that good. Plus, I'm researching and trying common methods to help alleviate excessive clamping and noodling with ideas for weight reduction.

So I guess in an open back headphone I'd look for something just like the PSB-M4U2 sound only with wider soundstage and more comfortable weight and clamping, along the lines of Grado and Sennheiser.

Sennheiser is for you IMO :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #542 of 733
Glad to hear it. After wearing the HD 558, not hearing anything tho, and having read countless reviews in which people are positively gushing about the richness and warmth of the sound and size of the soundstage, they or the HD598 would be a welcome edition to my new hobby here hehe.

Could you by any chance speak on the Grados 225i and 325i and their supposed harsh brightness? Is that something that comes from improperly driving them, through an unamped portable device for instance?

If it is true that they are too bright is that something that is diminished when they are properly driven through a more powerful source and amp?

By the way, just in passive mode, after stretching the headband for a few hours these PSB M4U2 are an absolute dream to listen to.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #543 of 733
By the way, just in passive mode, after stretching the headband for a few hours these PSB M4U2 are an absolute dream to listen to.

Every night I'm late going to bed if I'm listening to PSB's . I love the bass they have - it's there and in the same time it's separated from the other frequencies. Now I'm preying not to get cracks on the headband, my are whites. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #544 of 733
I just posted this in another thread, it might be of interested here, regarding the comparison with the NAD Viso:

After many years of listening to headphones, mostly cheap ones, 2 years ago I started to research to buy a truly proper set of headphones. After familiarising myself head-fi and other sites, and digging as deep as I could, I decided to go for the PSB M4U2. I absolutely LOVED them. For more than a year they were my absolute favourite headphones.

Then, after a bit over a year, they died - one side just went completely quiet and would not make any sound. I then decided to use this as an opportunity to try a bunch of other headphones. I also updated my portable source, from an ipod classic to ibasso DX90. I even ended up getting the NAD Viso, thinking that they will sound just as good.

However, I couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that even the NAD Viso's, which are reported to be just as good as the PSBs (and some even prefer the NADs), are just not in the same level of the M4U2. I knew that this might just be a bias, that I had M4U2 before I had a chance to listen to many other headphones, and that what I'm interpreting as an inferior sound is more about nostalgia than actual sound differences.

But the nagging feeling would not go away, so I finally got another M4U2, and I had a chance to properly compare the two back to back.

I'm glad to say that my memory was not playing tricks on me. To my ears, the M4U2 are definitely superior over the NADs.A part of this might be the integrated amp in the M4U2. I think that it just works perfectly well, it matches the headphones perfectly and adds a level of dynamics and realism to the sound that significantly exceeds the NADs. The bass is perhaps the best improvement - it was always a bit lacking in the NADs, and when I used the NADs with an E12, the bass was just too boomy and uncontrolled. The PSBs have wonderful bass, especially in the amped mode. Lush, warm, adds real fullness to the sound, yet clear and controlled enough to be properly detailed.

I might write a more detailed comparison between the two, but in my ears, the PSBs (especially with the amp mode) are definitely superior. I never heard the M4U1, and although I saw some contradicting reports about how they compare with M4U2 in passive mode (some say identical, some say M4U1 better), I just can't imagine the 1 competing with the sound of 2. And the internal amp is so well implemented, sound wise, that I'm surprised I don't see more headphones with integrated amps (I was considering trying the Blue Mo-Fi's but in general the reviews of the sound are pretty mediocre).

I might write a more proper comparison between the M4U2 and the NADs, but for now, my "vote" clearly goes to the PSBs. Such a wonderful headphone, the complete package for a full-sized portable in my view. And the sound is actually not very far off from my main home rig (HE-500 + Corda Classic).

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #545 of 733
Awesome post.

Thanks by the way for clearing that up for me because there was a pair of Viso on the shelf where I got the PSB, and had heard they were made by same creator. And wondered which was better.

I was wondering if anyone has found any songs where the amp on the on the M4U2 really makes a dramatic difference in the presentation of the song. I have found a few and am hoping to post a list here on this thread in case anyone is interested to hear what this built in amp can do.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #546 of 733
By the way Thanks for the tip to user named Vanquished, regarding the clamping force. Wow I'm glad to hear that it will loosen up a bit. It's strange to be listening to awe inspiring sound quality while simultaneously dealing with massive pressure on noggin from both sides lol.

Jk it isn't THAT bad. Can't w as it for them to loosen a bit though.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #547 of 733
Awesome post.

Thanks by the way for clearing that up for me because there was a pair of Viso on the shelf where I got the PSB, and had heard they were made by same creator. And wondered which was better.

I was wondering if anyone has found any songs where the amp on the on the M4U2 really makes a dramatic difference in the presentation of the song. I have found a few and am hoping to post a list here on this thread in case anyone is interested to hear what this built in amp can do.

I guess it depends on one's musical preferences and library... I particularly enjoy the life-like feel this gives The Black Crowes' album Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (remastered issue). I especially love the sound of percussions and drums - they just sound so tangible!

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #548 of 733
  Well, for me it seems the "durability" has been settled. These are definitely not a headphone I would recommend due to the very brittle plastic.

I've had a second pair crack, and now that they are out of warranty, I suspect I have nothing more than a cheap plastic frame that can no longer hold the great piece of audio engineering PSB came up with together and on my head in a usable fashion. I have sent a note to PSB, though I suspect they'll want me to send them money to repair them...I don't think I'll do that if it's the case.

They feel great and sound great, but for $400, they should last more than a year!!! Both pairs of my headphones have been babied, and still cracked...I'm damned sad.

Well I spoke with PSB support about this, and I'm more than happy with their support. They had me send them back and replaced the second pair that had a cracked headband, even though they were out of the warranty period.

They have made me a happy camper as I just got them back this week. Now back to some lovely ear-massaging DnB

rfan8312, check out the dnb link I posted for some amp vs non-amp presentation comparison, should be quite noticeable I think.

cheers

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #549 of 733
Thanks very much for the recco DnB4Guy, I'll definitely be checking it out tonight.

I thing I've noticed with the PSB-M4U2 is that on my set the ANC doesn't seem to work very well at all. I was raking in the yard and the ANC made absolutely no difference in reducing the sound of passing cars or the yard work. Luckily for me noise - cancellation isn't a feature I'm really much need of at all. Has anyone else noticed this in their set?

Another feature I've noticed, on the upside, that I find really cool that I wasn't expecting is the ability for anyone sitting next to you if they have any headphones with them is to just plug right into whichever one of the two headphone cable ports I'm not using, to hear what is playing from my source.

I was watching a movie and my girlfriend asked me what it was, while she played a game on her ipad, so I asked her to plug in and listen along. What a cool feature that I've never seen before on any other set of cans.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #551 of 733
Anyone compared these to the Shure SRH 1540?

Build quality and comfort are not going to be as good as the 1540 but what about the sound? Are the PSB brighter / more sibilant compared to the shures? Do the PSB have more sub bass? Also is the soundstage good, the NAD HP50 I tried were not as good as the Shures for the soundstage I am guessing the PSB will be similar... I cannot decide if I should keep the SRH 1540, which are generally very good but the treble irritates my ears a bit, the PSB might be worse for this looking at the frequency response, I don't like excessively sharp or sibilant treble at all. Not sure if I should keep the SRH 1540 and upgrade my source from Xonar STX to a better external dac / amp or if I should save my money and swap the Shures for the PSB, every headphone I try out of the STX pretty much has a bit of a harsh treble so I think that might be the problem, any help appreciated as I cannot decide what to do and can't demo the PSB in a shop, only the NAD HP50 which were quite good but not much bass and soundstage and not comfortable.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #552 of 733
I've had my pair of M4U 2s for over a year now and love them. However, they failed recently. I wrote a long blog post on what happened and how I fixed them. Also a warning to anyone thinking of buying these and how customer service at PSB works for them. 

http://blog.tracer.ca/2014/12/psb-m4u-2-headphone-failure-and-fix.html

Edit: a typo

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #554 of 733
Thanks. I have been a lurker here for many years, I thought I'd give back by writing up that detailed post. I have a small update. PSB has offered to sell me a replacement unit at a discount. Believe it or not I'm taking them up on their offer. Mostly because I spent so long time choosing these cans, and other than the one issue, I love what they sound like. I'm also hoping to encourage them to fix the issue. We'll see how that goes.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #555 of 733
  Anyone compared these to the Shure SRH 1540?

Build quality and comfort are not going to be as good as the 1540 but what about the sound? Are the PSB brighter / more sibilant compared to the shures? Do the PSB have more sub bass? Also is the soundstage good, the NAD HP50 I tried were not as good as the Shures for the soundstage I am guessing the PSB will be similar... I cannot decide if I should keep the SRH 1540, which are generally very good but the treble irritates my ears a bit, the PSB might be worse for this looking at the frequency response, I don't like excessively sharp or sibilant treble at all. Not sure if I should keep the SRH 1540 and upgrade my source from Xonar STX to a better external dac / amp or if I should save my money and swap the Shures for the PSB, every headphone I try out of the STX pretty much has a bit of a harsh treble so I think that might be the problem, any help appreciated as I cannot decide what to do and can't demo the PSB in a shop, only the NAD HP50 which were quite good but not much bass and soundstage and not comfortable.

The SRH1540 is better in everything in comparison to the PSB when amped well :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back