PSB M4U 2
Dec 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #511 of 733
  I heard these for the first time last night while shopping for a new large screen TV at Best Buy. They were next to one of their two higher end sound rooms (which I didn't even know they had), and I put them on while waiting for my purchase to be rung up and was really blown away by the sound with the amp on but the noise cancellation turned off. I really like that you can listen to them in passive mode, with the built in amp on but w/o noise cancellation or with the amp and noise cancellation on. 

I have no idea if the headphones are truly THAT good or if its simply due to them playing a certain selection of music that really shines with those headphones or any other headphone they sold on that wall...they were next to the B&W P5's. The PSB M4U2 were attached to the unit that only allows you to select play and volume up or down but they certainly did sound incredible. I don't own any closed back can's and have no need for noise cancellation BUT these having me seriously considering adding them to my headphone collection.

I'm really curious if the PSB are truly great for the money or are simply nice but sounded great with the music they were set up top play. It may be that I was SO tired of dealing with sales people that any good sounding headphone would have been a wonderful break at that time...I have a feeling that the PSB is something special though. I'd love to see a review of them compared to other cans in their price range like the HE-400's, AKG's...something along those lines and based only on SQ as I couldn't care less about headphone collection. 

They are truly an excellent headphone.  You may also want to check out their "sister" headphone from NAD, the HP50.  They are $299 with better looks, comfort and similar sound, just no amplification or active noise cancelling.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #512 of 733
The review I linked comparing 6-7 headphones from $250-400 does not include the HP50.

From the frequency response curve comparison from Brent, the PSB and HP50 are pretty similar with differences at 1k and 2k. The PSB extend more on the very high end and the HP50 appears to have more sub-bass.

http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/ss/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Measurements_2.htm

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #514 of 733

Very nicely written review.   Glad to see they sound great out of a higher-end computer based rig.  I play mine through an iPhone 4s, although I am currently considering either the upcoming Fiio X5, the Sony NWZ-ZX1 or the HiFi M8 connected to an iPod to get more  from them.  I am new to this hobby.  The PSB's introduced me to good sound and I would like to maximize the SQ in a portable rig.

I see you have quite a few headphones.  Where would you rank the PSB's, generally (not music genre specific) among your headphones for a portable rig ?

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #515 of 733
Thanks and glad you liked the review. I would say they rank very highly for portable use. I use IEM customs and some other portable headphones. THE M4U2 is certainly one of my highly regard portable headphones.  They are excellent headphones and for anyone looking for a headphone thats is noise canceling I recommend it highly,  The NAD was also designed by Paul Barton and I am trying to get one of those for review as well.

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #516 of 733
I love my PSB M4U2 but I hate the fact the supplied cable with mic cannot control volume on a iPhone 5. By chance i tested the NAD VISO (PSB and NAD are sister companies) and their cable can control volume when inserted into the PSB. That is a very serious oversight in my view.

Now I've got that off my chest, has anyone tried different ear pads on the PSB? The cups are a little bit small for me.

Thanks

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. My interest for headphones started when I got my Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Since then I have been constantly searching for a headphone for all round use, especially on my commutes to and from work. I tried a lot of 'phones in the range of $200-400, but in my opinion and to my ears the PSB M4U 2:s were the most pleasing.

I would describe them as accurate but musical sounding, never harsh in the mids or overly bright like some other 'phones I tried. All music from jazz via pop and rock to metal sounded spectacular, in passive as well as active modes. I am discovering new details in music I have listened to for years.

Now to my question and reason for quoting:

Does the NAD remote cable work in all modes with the M4U 2? I will order one right away if that is the case.

I look forward to spending more time on this forum!

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #517 of 733
Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. My interest for headphones started when I got my Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Since then I have been constantly searching for a headphone for all round use, especially on my commutes to and from work. I tried a lot of 'phones in the range of $200-400, but in my opinion and to my ears the PSB M4U 2:s were the most pleasing.

I would describe them as accurate but musical sounding, never harsh in the mids or overly bright like some other 'phones I tried. All music from jazz via pop and rock to metal sounded spectacular, in passive as well as active modes. I am discovering new details in music I have listened to for years.

Now to my question and reason for quoting:

Does the NAD remote cable work in all modes with the M4U 2? I will order one right away if that is the case.

I look forward to spending more time on this forum!

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.  I will try to get a NAD cable if it works in active and NC modes on the PSB's.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #518 of 733
Well I just came back from my local hi-fi store, and I can confirm that the 3-button Viso remote cable indeed does work in all modes with the M4U 2. I placed an order for one, should arrive at the end of next week.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #520 of 733
Only thing to be wary of with the NAD HP50 is apparently less durable construction. During the span of 5 days of use, mine loosen enough that creaking at the attachment point of the headband to the ear cups developed and drove me crazy. In this regard, the less attractive design of the M4U wins out for being free of such microphonic foibles (except for the cable, which CAN be a bit noisy and intrusive, same as the HP50's flat cable). I returned my HP50 and got the PSB M4U1 instead–virtually identical sound signature with much better, quieter construction.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #521 of 733
I plan on getting a Fiio X5 to pair with my PSB M4U-2's.   I will report back as to synergy etc.  I currently use an iPhone 4s with my PSB's and absolutely love the sound with the internal PSB amp turned on.  I am hoping the X5 with provide a bit more warmth, more analog sounding highs, and more micro-detail.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #522 of 733
I really enjoy the Fiio X5 with my PSB's. I will say that I no longer use the built-in headphone amp with the X5 as I feel it degrades the sound. I prefer the sound using the low gain setting. One nice thing about not using the headphone amp is eliminating the slight hiss in the background.

Anyway, it seems like a good combo to me.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #523 of 733
Just purchased the m4u 2 a few days ago, for the most part im very happy with them.  The only issue I have is when I listen to Google play music on my galaxy s4 or my galaxy tab pro, I hear a lot of noise and clicking with the amp or ANC on, passive mode seems to be fine.  Every time I skip tracks it makes a "POP" noise.  On the other hand, while listening with my ipod 5G or computer I have no issues at all.  Is this to be expected? if someone has a galaxy s4 with these cans, can you test this for me?  Its important to note that I really dont hear the noise while the music is playing, just while silent or skipping through tracks.  Thinking of returning them for another pair.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #524 of 733
  Just purchased the m4u 2 a few days ago, for the most part im very happy with them.  The only issue I have is when I listen to Google play music on my galaxy s4 or my galaxy tab pro, I hear a lot of noise and clicking with the amp or ANC on, passive mode seems to be fine.  Every time I skip tracks it makes a "POP" noise.  On the other hand, while listening with my ipod 5G or computer I have no issues at all.  Is this to be expected? if someone has a galaxy s4 with these cans, can you test this for me?  Its important to note that I really dont hear the noise while the music is playing, just while silent or skipping through tracks.  Thinking of returning them for another pair.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That kind of sounds like an issue with the player itself because you have the trouble with the S4 but not the ipod or computer.  Although not hearing it when the amp is off is kind of confounds the issue.   I don't have any such issue with my two players,  the iPhone 4s and Fiio X5 player.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #525 of 733

That kind of sounds like an issue with the player itself because you have the trouble with the S4 but not the ipod or computer.  Although not hearing it when the amp is off is kind of confounds the issue.   I don't have any such issue with my two players,  the iPhone 4s and Fiio X5 player.

+1! Popping issue comes mainly from the player not headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back