PS500 Ear Pads
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

David1961

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had the Grado PS500's for about three weeks now and I'm very happy with the SQ they produce driven by my Pico Slim, I'll be using that amp until I receive the Headamp GS-X I've placed an order for. However, while the PS500's sound great, their ear pads start to feel uncomfortable after so long. Because of that I've decided I'm going to fit different ear pads I've ordered. When I've fitted these new ear pads I'll post my thoughts.
                                                                          Dave.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 17
Have you tried washing them with warm water? it soften up the pads. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 17
I have the ear pads I'm going to fit to my PS500's to which I've temporarily put them on my PS500's and they're extremely comfortable, I'm now in the process of making something that will allow me to fit these pads on securely. these pads btw are stax EP-007's [black]. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 17
post pix please.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
post pix please.

Once I've completed what I'm doing I'd like to post some photos, but for some reason I'm unable to do do. Because I'm not savvy when it comes to computers I'll ask a friend that is to see if he can sort out the problem. Unless the problem isn't from my side.

P.S. I don't have the parts I'm needing yet, when I have them I can get started.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Quote:
post pix please.

Once I've completed what I'm doing I'd like to post some photos, but for some reason I'm unable to do do. Because I'm not savvy when it comes to computers I'll ask a friend that is to see if he can sort out the problem. Unless the problem isn't from my side.

P.S. I don't have the parts I'm needing yet, when I have them I can get started.

popcorn.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 17
I've fitted the EP 007's to my PS500's and while they're now extremely comfortable, I guess the SQ is OK but somewhat distant. I do tend to come up with silly ideas which this was one of them. However, my main headphone system is SR-009's + BHSE + Esoteric K-01 so I can't expect the SQ of the PS500's + Pico Slim + iPod to compete with that combo. I suppose I'll only be using the PS500 combo for portable use anyway. It's just a pity Grado don't make their ear pads more comfortable. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 17
The PS500, unlike the prestige or reference series grado headphones, seem to be much less responsive to changing pads.

I can take an RS1,  pop some flats on there, and it'll still sound good. less soundstage but sweeter midrange and more bass punch.

But the PS500's pounding bass becomes too muddy if you put on flats (which I find more comfortable than the bowls). And, on the same token, getting a leather or pleather pad that's not porous could also make the bass a bit much to handle. Some people like the GS style grado pads on the PS500 but I feel that makes the treble too harsh and tizzy.

I would suggest just taking the bowls and continue to place them in water/ fabric softener solutions mulitple times over the course of a couple weeks to really soften them up. a soft pad and a slightly bent out headband will make the PS500 pretty comfortable. it helps that they're not heavy.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
The PS500, unlike the prestige or reference series grado headphones, seem to be much less responsive to changing pads.

I can take an RS1,  pop some flats on there, and it'll still sound good. less soundstage but sweeter midrange and more bass punch.

But the PS500's pounding bass becomes too muddy if you put on flats (which I find more comfortable than the bowls). And, on the same token, getting a leather or pleather pad that's not porous could also make the bass a bit much to handle. Some people like the GS style grado pads on the PS500 but I feel that makes the treble too harsh and tizzy.

I would suggest just taking the bowls and continue to place them in water/ fabric softener solutions mulitple times over the course of a couple weeks to really soften them up. a soft pad and a slightly bent out headband will make the PS500 pretty comfortable. it helps that they're not heavy.

Thanks for the advice.

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 17

Not sure if these photos will upset anyone, but this post can always be taken off if they do.

With the Grado PS500 ear pads I find them uncomfortable after so long, and because of that I decided to put EP-007's on which was very easy to do. My PS500 with these new pads aren't as comfortable as my 009's, but they're alot more comfortable than the grado ear pads, plus I can listen to music with them on for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back