PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Mar 15, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #226 of 411
Not possible with the 5.8 unless you have the incredibly rare and hard PS3 chat cable that is usb on one side, and I believe 3.5mm on the other. It HAS to be Astro's chat cable, not any other.

I'm still in search of one so I can be completely wireless on my PS4, asides from the Headphone cable connecting to the Rx unit.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #228 of 411
If you mean on the ps4, then NO VIRTUAL SURROUND VIA USB, WHATSOEVER for pc headsets, sound cards, etc.

Only the PS4 Playstation gold headset does this. Not sure if the Playstation pulse gets it via usb.

Anything else that connects to the ps4 via usb only gets stereo ONLY.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #229 of 411
Not possible with the 5.8 unless you have the incredibly rare and hard PS3 chat cable that is usb on one side, and I believe 3.5mm on the other. It HAS to be Astro's chat cable, not any other.

I'm still in search of one so I can be completely wireless on my PS4, asides from the Headphone cable connecting to the Rx unit.

Earlier in the thread I thought someone was saying that on the ps3 they were able to use their headphones through their receiver (with a dolby headphone jack) and their separate mic plugged into a usb stereo/mic adapter in ps3. I just wanted to confirm that this set up would not provide game audio and chat when pushing game through the mixamp 5.8 (opposed to receiver). If not, what would  the issue be there? Would you not be able to hear the chat in the headphones?

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #230 of 411
The receiver is getting audio through hdmi, which like optical digital, gets Dolby Digital. Usb does not. AGAIN. NOT USB. Usb is stereo only, and/or grabbing chat audio. Thats it.

The 5.8 can only grab game chat from its proprietary chat input on the back of the unit. You need the ps3 chat cable which is incredibly rare, and MAY not come with the Mixamp 5.8 itslef. I have bought two brand new 5.8s, and neither had that cable, but apparently some people have gotten the cable with the 5.8.

Aside from that, you can use a generic usb soundcard (my xonar u3 works), and hook up a cable between that and the 5.8 rx unit's chat input. Thats going to be one hell of a long cable between the ps3 and 5.8s rx unit.

All in all, a big hassle to try and chat while using the 5.8 without the ps3 chat cable. On ps4, its much easier as all you need is something like the ps4 turtle beach chat cable between the controller and the 5.8's rx unit.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #231 of 411
The receiver is getting audio through hdmi, which like optical digital, gets Dolby Digital. Usb does not. AGAIN. NOT USB. Usb is stereo only, and/or grabbing chat audio. Thats it.

I feel stupid because I am having a hard time following, and I'm sorry if its frustrating.  I just thought all the posts I read indicated that the ps3 could handle chat via usb and game sound via hdmi/optical at the same time. I mean that is true right? If I wasn't using a mixamp and just used my headphones through my receiver I could hear game audio through them and chat through a usb stereo splitter right? So I guess the only reason that same split set up wouldn't work with a mixamp is because of it's proprietary nature and thats that yea?

I'm wondering if the rare ps3 chat cable is only found in the bundles and not with the stand alone 5.8's. I just checked a couple ebay auctions and the used bundled a30 sets seem to have the cable. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #234 of 411
Only to clarify. On the ps3 you can get sound via optical and voice chat via usb at the same time. On the ps4 you can't do both at the same time. That's the reason why the ps4 headset compatibilities are a joke. Problem is that Sony sees no need to fix or update it. Maybe they want everyone to buy the new Gold Headset? I don't know.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #235 of 411
  Only to clarify. On the ps3 you can get sound via optical and voice chat via usb at the same time. On the ps4 you can't do both at the same time. That's the reason why the ps4 headset compatibilities are a joke. Problem is that Sony sees no need to fix or update it. Maybe they want everyone to buy the new Gold Headset? I don't know.

I understood, my previous post was specifically talking about the ps3 only and why mic to usb splitter would not work with a mixamp but it will with a receiver. I just don't understand the difference between those two situations

Man this stuff is confusing and convoluted. 

And yes, of course sony just wants you to buy the gold headset. Which I did. Then promptly returned. The sound quality just isn't good enough.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #236 of 411
So I realised that their is no chance of getting my voice chat running. I would like to know If there is just a microfone that I can connect with my dualshock 4 controller or better in ears than the included ones from the ps4.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #237 of 411
  So I realised that their is no chance of getting my voice chat running. I would like to know If there is just a microfone that I can connect with my dualshock 4 controller or better in ears than the included ones from the ps4.

If I understand everything correctly, you can connect any headset and any mic into the ds4 using a y 3.5 splitter. Chat and game audio will work just fine. You just won't have surround sound. If you want surround sound you need a mixamp.
An example of a mic that you can use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3G4Z7JJ34B7QN

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #238 of 411
I will just say this now..

A 3.5mm Y-Adapter IS NOT the same thing as a 3.5mm headset adapter. They look almost the same, but they do completely different things.

A 3.5mm Y-Adapter simply allows you to plug two pairs of headphones in to 1 ipod for example..

A 3.5mm Headset Adapter allows you to connect a mic and headphones in to the DS4 for example..

YES, with a headset adapter, you can connect any headphone and any mic you want to the DS4 and it will work. Same thing with the Mixamp, you will need 3.5mm headset adapter, NOT a standard 3.5mm Y-Adapter.

Just wanted to make that clear.

That being said, even though a 3.5mm headset adapter will allow you to plug any headphone/mic combo you like into the DS4, the overall quality is horrible, so I dont recommend it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #240 of 411
A lil help please:

PS4 audio help.

Audio output Troubles with headphones.

I am having trouble getting the right settings as I did with the ps3 for headphones/mic.

PS3 >optical cable >Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp >ATH-A900 headphones (PS3 settings to optical out).
Headset mic setting was for chat to come through the headphones.

PS4
I have tried multiple settings, but the choices seem slimmer than on the PS3.
PS4 > optical cable > Victor SU-DH1 dolby amp > ATH-A900 headphones.

1). sound comes out from both the TV and headphones (kludge fix -turn down the TV or mute it).

2). Yes, I know the supplied mic is .......bad.
I have tried the different audio settings and party chat - but couldnt seem to find a way to output chat to my main headphones, if i set it to All audio the game audio only comes out of the Chat Mic piece. (kludge fix - have the ear piece inside my main headphones as well to receive chat.).

Any help/ideas or do I have to wait for a future PS4 update?

Thanks
expat.

Yes,  have selected optical as preferred, bitstream etc etc.

Thanks in advance
regards
expat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back