PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Dec 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #76 of 411
Then you would need an adapter like this one: http://www.astrogaming.com/pc-headset-y-adapter/3ACBL-HBM9U-760.html#start=14&sz=12

Ok I went out and found the cable, sadly it doesnt work with the DSS at all. The PS4 doesnt even recognize the mic being attached. I was skeptical of this setup working in the first place, so Im interested in a little more insight as to how your son got this to work properly.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #77 of 411
I'll have to test and see if the turtle beach ps4 chat cable will work with my wired mixamp (as long as the usb isn't plugged into the ps4...just the optical cable). It should function the same as the 5.8. You dont want the usb connected to the ps4, so it wont override chat duties sent to the ps4 controller.

Problem with the wired Mixamp being that the TB chat cable isn't lengthy, so being tethered between the ps4 controller and Mixamp's controller cable input... well, you need tk be close to the Mixamp. Not an issue with the 5.8, but a definite issue with the wired Mixamp.

His favorite set up is the 1st gen TB DSS with the chat cable that this headset uses.

Here is a picture of the cable that is connected between the DSS and the headset.

Edit: Here's a cheaper one, the headset is back but the cables look good.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #78 of 411

So what headset are you using?

The mic cord from your headset goes to the usb dongle.

The point of the 3.5-3.5mm "jumper" cable is so the incoming chat can be heard through the headset via y-adapter.

I no longer use this "Y Cable Setup" The first time I tried it, it seemed to work, even though the y-cable caused my volume to decrease. The second time I tried it, I kept having weird feedback issues when I talked, it wasnt anything bad, just not ideal...

I'm using a Plantronics Gamecon 307, which is probably their low end wired gaming headset. Yes, mic cord goes directly to usb dongle (Dongle has a switch, and it is set at mic, instead of line, for whatever that's worth). Jumper cable still doesn't bring voice from usb into headset. I haven't had any feedback issues, just no voice (mine). I can hear everyone else chatting away. :frowning2: 

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #79 of 411
I'm using a Plantronics Gamecon 307, which is probably their low end wired gaming headset. Yes, mic cord goes directly to usb dongle (Dongle has a switch, and it is set at mic, instead of line, for whatever that's worth). Jumper cable still doesn't bring voice from usb into headset. I haven't had any feedback issues, just no voice (mine). I can hear everyone else chatting away. :frowning2: 

When you plug in the USB dongle, does the PS4 notification appear saying something like headset detected? If not its probably not a compatible USB dongle.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #80 of 411
Yes it does. Tested it last night. It seems to think that it is there, and audio comes out, but mic does not work. Same setup worked fine on PS3. I'm tempted to buy another dongle (wish I could find the other Plantronics dongle that I know I own), and see if another works. I can't seem to find anyone on google that has a specific brand that works just fine. YET! 

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #81 of 411
Hi all,

i have a SteelSeries Siberia v2 headset (without the USB soundcard) and i purchased a splitter so that the 2 3.5mm jacks (one for mic and one for audio) could be merged and plugged into the PS4 controller. However, chat functionality still does not work. I was testing it by trying to send a voice message to my friend, and sometimes it even says that there is no microphone connected. Other times, it allows me to record a message but my voice isn't picked up.   This made me the think the splitter was defective, but it works perfectly on my macbook which only has 1 audio jack. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: So i tried a party chat with my friend and all he could hear was the PS4 menu audio, not me talking. But, if i unplug the audio cable from the splitter and just leave the mic cable connected, my ps4 still says i have a mic connected but it doesn't pick-up any sound.  So is this a faulty adapter or will the mic on this headset never work on the ps4?

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #85 of 411
Hi guys.

This is my first post here on the forums but i really need your help. Like the op I have the same problem with my headset. I can't hear the other people talking.

First of all It's not true that all usb headsets will work on the ps4. Even after the 1.51 firmware update.

On my ps3 I had no problems with my headset. Hooked it up via optical output and got the mic running with a usb sound card.

So that's my set up:

Coolermaster Sirus S headset
connected via sharkoon sound control unit
hooked up by the optical output of the ps4

The problem is the mic jack. One problem is that If you connect the headset via usb the console does not recognise the headset. So I used my usb sound card card and the headset works. Like for the ps3 I connected the pink mic cable with the usb sound card. I can talk but I can't hear the other people talking. When I pull the plug of the mic I can hear everyone.

Tried arround in the audio settings. There's the other problem If i select output to headphones all audio I hear nothing.

So then I tried the dumb put the mic in the joypad solution. First of all I hate this solution. The mic cable is too short and wires everywhere. I knew that It would not work so I bought a StarTech.com MUYHSMFF 3.5mm 4-Pin to 2x 3-Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter.

Still the same problem I can talk but I can't hear the other people talking. So Is there a solution for this problem? I've read that other people have the same problem. The only way I found to get the voice chat running is If you connect the green front channel cable and the pink mic jack with the usb sound card. The ingame sound sounds like crap because the surround and sub channels are not supported so you use a 5.1 headsets as a stereo headset.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #87 of 411
  Yeah, thats the reason I made this thread. For now, us 3.5mm x2 type headset people are stuck plugging both headphones and mic into USB, which works but sounds like crap.

This is the only thread I've found on the internet where people like you have an idea what they are talking about. I wrote on other forums and most people have no clue what they are talking about and none of their solutions worked.

Currently there is only one way to get a 5.1 headset running with voice chat. But why the hell should I use a 5.1 headset as a stereo headset just to chat? So I don't use the voice chat at the moment.

Maybe there's a 5.1 usb soundcard on the market to make the chat work?

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #89 of 411

This is the only thread I've found on the internet where people like you have an idea what they are talking about. I wrote on other forums and most people have no clue what they are talking about and none of their solutions worked.

Currently there is only one way to get a 5.1 headset running with voice chat. But why the hell should I use a 5.1 headset as a stereo headset just to chat? So I don't use the voice chat at the moment.

Maybe there's a 5.1 usb soundcard on the market to make the chat work?

Its looks like at this point we just have to sit back and wait for Sony to patch in the audio features that the PS3 had.

Ive thought about the 5.1 USB soundcard before but the problem is all of them are designed for PC which use drivers and software to function correctly. Combine this with the fact that you need Dolby Digital 5.1 as the source audio for Dolby Headphone to function right, who knows what kind of audio you actually get from the USB port...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back