PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Jan 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #91 of 411
Just a quick update for anyone looking into PS4 headsets. I finally received a 4 pole adapter(headset buddy) that I ordered and the mic as well as the headset are now working perfectly fine on the PS4.  Im also using a rocketfish chat cable as pictured above which gives me the option to mute the mic. I think this set-up sounds pretty dang good for a little over $100 and Id prefer them over the $250 Trittons I had on my PS3.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #92 of 411
  Just a quick update for anyone looking into PS4 headsets. I finally received a 4 pole adapter(headset buddy) that I ordered and the mic as well as the headset are now working perfectly fine on the PS4.  Im also using a rocketfish chat cable as pictured above which gives me the option to mute the mic. I think this set-up sounds pretty dang good for a little over $100 and Id prefer them over the $250 Trittons I had on my PS3.

Links were you bought your stuff are apreciated.

My chatcable adapter is not working. Got this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388865767&sr=8-1&keywords=StarTech.com+MUYHSMFF

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #93 of 411
I am glad it worked great, my son loves his setup too.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #94 of 411

Just a few questions for you:
What headset are you using?
Are you using a Processor? Like the DSS or Mixamp?

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #96 of 411
Something doesnt seem right here, can you please post a full diagram of your setup as well as what PS4 settings are used ie; Chat only, all audio, optical, DD, etc..as well as where the headphones and mic plug into.
This is the setup: 1st gen TurtleBeach DSS connected to the PS4 via optical, the DSS is powered externally so the PS4 doesn't use it as chat device, then the rocketfish headset cable connected to DSS. From the rocketfish cable the Turtlebeach PS4 chat cable connected to the PS4 controller and the headset used is the 2011 Astro A40 connected to the headphone in of the Rocketfish cable via a four pole connector. (That is what my son uses)

I just use the Astro 5.8 wireless MixAmp with the Turtlebeach PS4 chat cable and Sennheiser HD558 with the Momentum smartphone cable.

Edit. Will take screenshots of my chat settings and post them tomorrow.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #97 of 411

Just a few questions for you:
What headset are you using?
Are you using a Processor? Like the DSS or Mixamp?

Im pretty much running the same set-up as cmarti, please see below.

1st gen Turtlebeach DSS
Samson SR850 headphopnes
Zalman ZM-MIC1
Rocketfish chat cable,this came with a set of headphones that I bought on clearance from Best Buy for $10.
Headset Buddy 4 pole Y-adapter(splitter)

I have the DSS hooked to a optical cable from the PS4.
I have a USB mini cable from the PS4 to the DSS to Power it as well as give it the chat audio.
From there I have the rocketfish chat cable hooked into the headphone out from the DSS.
The Headset buddy Y splitter plugs into the rocketfish cable.
Last I have the headset and zalman mic plugged into the Headset buddy splitter.

As far as settings I have the audio set to Optical to get the surround through the DSS.
When you plug everything up and the USB into the PS4 it will pop up asking who using the headphones and reconize them.
As far as headphone audio settings I have that on CHAT audio only.

Also there is a newer post on Playstation forum where a guy uses a Logitech USB soundcard for a PC plugged directly into the PS4 and claims to get surround sound as well as chat, he also has a 12 minute vid proving it.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #98 of 411
  Im pretty much running the same set-up as cmarti, please see below.

1st gen Turtlebeach DSS
Samson SR850 headphopnes
Zalman ZM-MIC1
Rocketfish chat cable,this came with a set of headphones that I bought on clearance from Best Buy for $10.
Headset Buddy 4 pole Y-adapter(splitter)

I have the DSS hooked to a optical cable from the PS4.
I have a USB mini cable from the PS4 to the DSS to Power it as well as give it the chat audio.
From there I have the rocketfish chat cable hooked into the headphone out from the DSS.
The Headset buddy Y splitter plugs into the rocketfish cable.
Last I have the headset and zalman mic plugged into the Headset buddy splitter.

As far as settings I have the audio set to Optical to get the surround through the DSS.
When you plug everything up and the USB into the PS4 it will pop up asking who using the headphones and reconize them.
As far as headphone audio settings I have that on CHAT audio only.

Also there is a newer post on Playstation forum where a guy uses a Logitech USB soundcard for a PC plugged directly into the PS4 and claims to get surround sound as well as chat, he also has a 12 minute vid proving it.

With the Rocketfish cable, are you plugging in the USB and headphone jack, or just the headphone jack into the DSS?

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #99 of 411
I have tried both successfully, it depends on how you want to power the rocketfish cable from the PS4 or the DSS is all. I also have an old razr AC that will power the DSS but wont power the rocketfish. I currently have the USB into the DSS to power both if that makes sense.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #100 of 411
So Is there a solution to get the voice chat running on 5.1 headsets?

Got a coolermaster sirus s(analog) connected with the optical output of the ps4 connected with a sharkoon sound control unit.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #101 of 411
Wait, theres actually a way of getting 5.1 surround sound on a PS4 using a logitech usb sound card? ..can you give us a link please? I wonder how thats possible since usually doesnt work and they are only recognized as a generic usb..

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #102 of 411
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #103 of 411
I can tell you that usb soundcards hooked up to the PS4 will use generic drivers/basic stereo, AFAIK.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #104 of 411
The controller plug in is useful if your external mic doesn't have a long cable that won't reach the PS4. My dealextreme clip on mic's cable doesn't reach, so it makes sense to use the PS4's port.

That's odd. If I plug my dealextreme clip on mic to the DualShock4-jack, it doesn't recognize it at all. The party icon still says that there's nothing connected. Or do you hook it up with a 4-pole Y-cable?

This wouldn't be as half as bad, if my PS4 was able to split mic input and chat output. For instance: I'd like to use my FiiO E17/E09k instead of my mixamp via optical in, while still being able to party chat. Unfortunately this doesn't work at all, because as soon as I connect the cheap earbud mono-headset which came with the PS4 to use it as a mic-only, the party chat audio not longer mixes with the game sound but goes through the mono-headset of the controller. But I don't want this, as I already have my Beyer 880's on, not to mention how incredibly uncomfortable I am with earbuds. Jeez, even my xbox360 can do that, even though the party chat and game audio mix sounds horrible most of the time.
Any idea how I could get things work? I just can't find a solution in the ps4-settings for this...

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #105 of 411
The patch to make the Sony Pulse Headset work with the PS4 is due to release "early this month" according to some higher-up person at Sony. Hopefully this means we will be able to have the features of the 7 year old PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back