PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #513 of 1,094
  Well the Jet Set Radio Port got 1080P, so the up scaling imo is a remake of sorts. It wasn't natively in that high res format. Not to mention again a good chance they may reintegrate and bundle 1 and 2 into a single Game, throw in some un released content and make a killing... I'd easily pay $60 for both games and some Lossless OSTs not to mention the acheivements added, 

Yeah, JSR got that treatment, but I think Shenmue is a lot less likely to get it. It just won't sell as well. I'd love it if it did, though!

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #515 of 1,094
Yeah, JSR got that treatment, but I think Shenmue is a lot less likely to get it. It just won't sell as well. I'd love it if it did, though!

I guess but shenmue has quite the cult following im still hoping

also i am gettin a ps3 some time. All those missed jrpgs q.q

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #516 of 1,094

I have Shenmue 1 and 2 on the dreamcast and bought Shenmue 2 for the xbox..still one of the best story based games out there..i hope they do Shenmue 3 some day and finish the story off!

I also have Shenmue on Dreamcast.  What a great game.  It definitely had an open world feel to it.  There was so much to do in the town apart from the main mission, including an arcade, where there you could get a "game inside a game" experience.

Speaking of Dreamcast, NFL 2K1 is still the highest rated American Football game on Gamerankings.  That game was evolutionary for the time.  EA got so paranoid they bought an exclusive license to the NFL.

And did anybody else play Gut's Rage?

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #517 of 1,094

I also have Shenmue on Dreamcast.  What a great game.  It definitely had an open world feel to it.  There was so much to do in the town apart from the main mission, including an arcade, where there you could get a "game inside a game" experience.

Speaking of Dreamcast, NFL 2K1 is still the highest rated American Football game on Gamerankings.  That game was evolutionary for the time.  EA got so paranoid they bought an exclusive license to the NFL.

And did anybody else play Gut's Rage?

never played Gut's Rage.

I remember having NFL 2K1 on pause while my father was over. When paused, it would go into presentation mode. He walked through to the kitchen, and on the way back I picked up the controller and started playing. He was shocked. he thought it was a real gaming going on.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #518 of 1,094
Shenmue through VGA on a CRT tv looks absurdly amazing so does skies of arcadia. I still have to play through shenmue though. I had a hard time getting into as it took me about 2 hours to get to the first fight (plus an extra hour or two adjusting the pot on one of my dreamcasts laser as it kept freezing, I gave up on that after finding another dreamcast for $15). 

Anyways on the PS4 vs Xbone debate. I would take a ps4 any day of the week. Sony has too many amazing IPs under their belt, while microsoft only has a couple. I also never liked Halo, the online was ok for me, but outside of Halo 1 the story is quite drab and uninspired imo. They keep adding plot twist after plot twist to keep the story a live. People have been arguing that the xbone has better exclusives out of the gate, but I do not think it will stay like that for long. Titanfall looks kind of overhyped to be blunt, and its coming to the PC anyways.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #519 of 1,094
My vote is for the PS4.

I don't have any plans to buy one any time soon.. but maybe in a year or two. But then I might just spend a bit more and get a gaming PC.

I'm really just looking forward to Dark Souls 2 an the upcoming MGS game, and playing a few more PS3 games like GTA5 and Last of Us. BF4 looks good but that's also the kind of game I would enjoy way more with a mouse and keyboard.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #520 of 1,094
I ended up picking neither, I can't afford them and I love Nintendo products, I'd rather spend the money towards Nintendo (have a wii U and 3ds) or more audio gear (could always use more). No hate towards either company just not for me, with some extra money I'd go ps4 over Xbox one. :wink:

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #521 of 1,094
I'd go for the xbox one as of now, ps4 might be worth it later though.

Xbox one had fewer launch day issues - just broken disk drives and some party chat issues from what I've seen.  Ps4 apparently had a lot more manufacturing issues i.e. their blue light issues and HDMI issues as a start.  There were a few other problems I saw on Sony's help forums, but I don't remember specifics off the top of my memory.

Xbox one has better launch exclusives - Knack is cool, but it's hard to argue launch day titles for Ps4 rival Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Forza.

Xbox one has a better functional design.  Ps4 might look sleeker than the Xbox one, but it's much smaller with less venting and the PSU is stuffed into the chassis, not to mention the hardware edges out the Xbox one hardware in some regards.  Xbox one is huge in comparison and half the chassis is vented so it should stay pretty cool, not to mention the PSU is outside the chassis so it doesn't add to internal heat.  In summary, Ps4 seems more prone to internal hardware failures since it shouldn't be cooled as well as the Xbox one.

Ps4 has a nicer visual design.  Most people would agree the Xbox one looks like an old VCR and the Ps4 looks sleek.

Ps4 has slightly better hardware.  The GPU is a little better than the Xbox one GPU and the RAM is GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 which is what the Xbox one is running.

Personally, I chose the Xbox one since I like Xbox Live more than PSN and I had a 360 so I could transfer my friend list over.  I also generally like xbox exclusives more than playstation exclusives.  I understand sony decided to upgrade PSN which is why they're charging for it now, but I've always thought voices sounded almost robotic on PSN and xbox live voices sounded good before and even better on the Xbox one.  I felt safer going with a company that was improving a good network as opposed to designing a good network from a mediocre one.

The hardware on both consoles is close enough that the Ps4 shouldn't looks worlds better than the Xbox one.  I remember seeing a video of somebody who spec'd out two computers to match the hardware of both consoles and found the framerate to be in the low-mid 40s on the Xbox one and the high 40s-low 50s on the Ps4.  Other than that, there wasn't much difference.  Obviously there are other factors that needs to be considered as a console won't run identically to a computer, but it gives a general idea of how the hardware compares at least in regards to framerate.  When it comes to 720p vs.1080p it depends on what type of tv you own.  Tvs at or below 50 inches ish won't show much of a difference unless you're sitting 1 foot away from your tv (don't do this).  For tvs above this the higher native resolution the ps4 generally boasts may be better.  The more important thing to consider is how each console renders graphics.  From what I've seen the Xbox one tends to render in darker shades while the ps4 renders in brighter shades.  Personally I generally prefer darker, but that is subjective and some games may look better rendered darker or brighter.

In summary, don't get dragged into the ps4 because the hardware edges out the Xbox one hardware, go for the console that has the features you want.  Consoles are already vastly beaten by PCs, if having the absolute best hardware is your number 1 priority you would be better off investing in a gaming pc (as I plan to do in the next year after the Nvidia 800 series comes out).  Weigh features such as networks, voice, software features, games, etc. against each other to make your decision.  Also pay attention to the direction each console is heading.  Look at future exclusives and features that Sony or Microsoft plans to implement into their consoles.  Don't just look at where each console is right now.

On a personal note, if you plan on going after a Ps4 you should probably wait until next year while they sort out their QC issues.  The Xbox one has a better launch lineup, but from what I've seen the Ps4 has more exclusives lined up further down the road than the Xbox One.  

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #523 of 1,094
  I'd go for the xbox one as of now, ps4 might be worth it later though.

Xbox one had fewer launch day issues - just broken disk drives and some party chat issues from what I've seen.  Ps4 apparently had a lot more manufacturing issues i.e. their blue light issues and HDMI issues as a start.  There were a few other problems I saw on Sony's help forums, but I don't remember specifics off the top of my memory.

Xbox one has better launch exclusives - Knack is cool, but it's hard to argue launch day titles for Ps4 rival Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Forza.

Xbox one has a better functional design.  Ps4 might look sleeker than the Xbox one, but it's much smaller with less venting and the PSU is stuffed into the chassis, not to mention the hardware edges out the Xbox one hardware in some regards.  Xbox one is huge in comparison and half the chassis is vented so it should stay pretty cool, not to mention the PSU is outside the chassis so it doesn't add to internal heat.  In summary, Ps4 seems more prone to internal hardware failures since it shouldn't be cooled as well as the Xbox one.

Ps4 has a nicer visual design.  Most people would agree the Xbox one looks like an old VCR and the Ps4 looks sleek.

Ps4 has slightly better hardware.  The GPU is a little better than the Xbox one GPU and the RAM is GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 which is what the Xbox one is running.

Personally, I chose the Xbox one since I like Xbox Live more than PSN and I had a 360 so I could transfer my friend list over.  I also generally like xbox exclusives more than playstation exclusives.  I understand sony decided to upgrade PSN which is why they're charging for it now, but I've always thought voices sounded almost robotic on PSN and xbox live voices sounded good before and even better on the Xbox one.  I felt safer going with a company that was improving a good network as opposed to designing a good network from a mediocre one.

The hardware on both consoles is close enough that the Ps4 shouldn't looks worlds better than the Xbox one.  I remember seeing a video of somebody who spec'd out two computers to match the hardware of both consoles and found the framerate to be in the low-mid 40s on the Xbox one and the high 40s-low 50s on the Ps4.  Other than that, there wasn't much difference.  Obviously there are other factors that needs to be considered as a console won't run identically to a computer, but it gives a general idea of how the hardware compares at least in regards to framerate.  When it comes to 720p vs.1080p it depends on what type of tv you own.  Tvs at or below 50 inches ish won't show much of a difference unless you're sitting 1 foot away from your tv (don't do this).  For tvs above this the higher native resolution the ps4 generally boasts may be better.  The more important thing to consider is how each console renders graphics.  From what I've seen the Xbox one tends to render in darker shades while the ps4 renders in brighter shades.  Personally I generally prefer darker, but that is subjective and some games may look better rendered darker or brighter.

In summary, don't get dragged into the ps4 because the hardware edges out the Xbox one hardware, go for the console that has the features you want.  Consoles are already vastly beaten by PCs, if having the absolute best hardware is your number 1 priority you would be better off investing in a gaming pc (as I plan to do in the next year after the Nvidia 800 series comes out).  Weigh features such as networks, voice, software features, games, etc. against each other to make your decision.  Also pay attention to the direction each console is heading.  Look at future exclusives and features that Sony or Microsoft plans to implement into their consoles.  Don't just look at where each console is right now.

On a personal note, if you plan on going after a Ps4 you should probably wait until next year while they sort out their QC issues.  The Xbox one has a better launch lineup, but from what I've seen the Ps4 has more exclusives lined up further down the road than the Xbox One.  

Sorry, but a lot wrong in this post. Your 720 vs 1080 sounds like your discrediting 1080 all together. Unless your a foot away it doesn't matter? So you believe that with movies as well?

The QC issues are minor Millions of PS4's have been sold. If you have 1% failure rate (a good rate), that's 20,000 bad units if they sell 2 million of them. The issue is overblown.

As for launch titles, I will agree the exclusive ones on the One are better. However the cross platform ones are better on the PS4.

You are an x-box player, so if you like the IPs they have, and XBL, then the better console for you is the One. However that's because of what you have invested in the ecosystem. The justifications you make in this post due to that being your console of choice is purly based on bias.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #524 of 1,094

Sorry, but a lot wrong in this post. Your 720 vs 1080 sounds like your discrediting 1080 all together. Unless your a foot away it doesn't matter? So you believe that with movies as well?

The QC issues are minor Millions of PS4's have been sold. If you have 1% failure rate (a good rate), that's 20,000 bad units if they sell 2 million of them. The issue is overblown.

As for launch titles, I will agree the exclusive ones on the One are better. However the cross platform ones are better on the PS4.

You are an x-box player, so if you like the IPs they have, and XBL, then the better console for you is the One. However that's because of what you have invested in the ecosystem. The justifications you make in this post due to that being your console of choice is purly based on bias.

I'm not discrediting 1080p, if you have a large tv it will matter.  People just tend to think a small tv running at 1080p makes it better than a tv of the same size running at 720p when the reality is it is almost impossible to tell a difference for a normal viewing distance.  Like I said, if you have a large tv a ps4 might be preferable since games on it tend to run in a higher native resolution, but for a lot of people that isn't the case. When I'm watching a movie on small tvs it doesn't matter whether it is 720p or 1080p, it's all the same.  The foot away part is a generalization, point being don't sit super close to your tv, although as tv size goes up, the distance where you can tell a difference between 720p and 1080p goes up.  Generally if you are sitting within that range, being how close you need to be to your tv, you are sitting way too close to your tv so it shouldn't matter unless you are sitting too close to your tv.  I stand by my argument.

The QC issues are a little overblown, although I don't trust statistics Sony throws out, that's personal though.  I was referring more to the variety of issues opposed to Xbox one issues.  

Cross platform titles just increase the number of people who are playing titles.  It's cool if you can have a bigger audience playing games, but aren't you comparing apples to oranges a bit?  Comparing the benefit of having better full games to the benefit of having games with a bigger audience.  The majority of the time those benefits are marginal, unless you are dealing with a title that needs cross-platform support to survive.  If cross-platform support is a bonus for you though, that's fine.

I am an xbox player.  I wasn't always and I don't plan to always be.  I used to have a ps2, then 360.  Before that it was a n64. Right now I have an Xbox one, next year I'll also have a ps4.  I mentioned that that me liking the Xbox one for having owned the 360 was personal, so I wouldn't expect others to like the Xbox one because I had the 360.  Although if you are also a 360 player you may like a Xbox one for that reason.  The same would apply for a ps3 player looking at the ps4.  I like XBL because microsoft has been charging 60$/yr for the last 8 years while sony hasn't for PSN.  Microsoft used a lot of that money improving XBL quality.  I used voice chat as an example because I strongly feel voice is/was better on the 360 than the ps3.  It is a subjective argument, but it seemed so much better that it was hard to neglect.  Sony is just beginning to charge a mandatory rate for PSN, so my argument was that I felt safer going for XBL since it is more developed and invested in.  I have no doubt that in the future PSN will improve greatly, but as of now I just like XBL more.  I also admit that the argument isn't a big enough reason to not go for the ps4 since long-term, and to some degree short-term, I see PSN improving a lot, but it should be something to consider.

I might be a Xbox one player now, but that is only because I felt it had a better launch than the ps4 for reasons not just including QC.  I think ps4 will be a better console to buy next year when more exclusives come out for it and PSN has been given some time and I do plan on buying it next year.  A lot of my post was about whether you want to buy a console for now or a console for later.  Like I said, a lot of deciding which console to jump on and when to jump on it depends on what features/benefits you personally value.

EDIT: Come to think of it there might be an exception to my 720p vs 1080p argument.  If you are using a SUPER small tv (as in you need to sit within 1 or 2 ft of it) 1080p may look crisper than 720p.  That's about the only exception though.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #525 of 1,094
I am not discrediting your choice to buy a One. I think there are many valid reasons to buy a One over the PS4. I think they are:

1. Motion controls
  2. Your friends are on X-Box Live
  3. You like Microsoft's exclusive games
  4. You want your console to be a media center

However there are good reasons to buy a PS4 over the One. They are:
  1. Less expensive
  2. More powerful
  3. Better hardware design
  4. You like Sony's exclusive games

The only reason I took issue with your post, is because you referenced the strong points of the PS4, and then chose to discredit them. The power supply being inside the console is a good thing. The only reason Microsoft chose to put the power supply outside the console, is because of the issues they had with overheating on the 360. The amount of heat in total the One puts in a room is more then the PS4. The PS4 console does run hotter, however it's well within the levels of acceptable heat. The One however if you measure the heat coming from the power supple and the console, will heat up your room more. If you live somewhere where you pay a cooling bill, you will pay a little more over the course of the year with the One. Also the PS4 has a user replaceable hard drive, where the One does not. With only 500 Gig, those drives can fill up quickly. All the way around with respect to hardware, the PS4 is a better designed unit.

As for screen size, I know of people who sit 2 feet away from 3 46" 1080p TV's. LED TV's are just computer monitors. There is no negative issue with how far way you sit. I would think a very large percentage of people who end up buying a console, are going to be kids who put them in there bedroom, and also have a 55" TV. For a large percentage of people, the difference in quality of the visuals will be recognizable.

So I am not discrediting your choice to buy a One, or even arguing with you buying it. If you asked me what console I think you should buy, it would be the One. What I took issue with, was just you devaluing the strengths of the PS4 as meaningless.

Oh, and as for someone with the three 46" TV's.....

EDIT: Yes, one of those pairs of headphones he has on his head are HD800's, (and he has some hifiman's as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back