PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jan 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #601 of 1,094
I love it when people over analyze things. But if it makes you feel better... you are correct... when it comes to terminology.

But... that doesn't change what I said. Nintendo is a generation behind (for consoles). Deal with the way I use that word. Don't like it? Well... muhuhahahaha

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #602 of 1,094

No, they're not.  "Generation" is a measurement of time.  You're misusing the word generation.

Yes, 'generation' does denote a (slightly variable) measurement of time (30-35 years), but the word could also be used to refer to a specific group, be it people or products, made in a particular length of time (like people in the 80s generation, etc.). Moreover, the term 'generation' could also be used to refer to advances in technology, like the mobile generation for instance (the same tech generation we're in). But if you really want to stick to it's core meaning, go ahead. 

Quote:
I love it when people over analyze things. But if it makes you feel better... you are correct... when it comes to terminology.

But... that doesn't change what I said. Nintendo is a generation behind (for consoles). Deal with the way I use that word. Don't like it? Well... muhuhahahaha

I think I want to agree. Nintendo is getting really far behind now since the GCN. Sure, the motion controls on the Wii were great, but now everyone else is picking up and making their own (Kinect and PS Move). which is a bad thing. Nintendo's run out of bright ideas, I think; and they need a new battle plan if they're going to keep up in this generation.

Also...

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #604 of 1,094
Not if they're price tags stay at $1000+

The thing about consoles is that they are both affordable and consumer friendly.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #605 of 1,094
Not if they're (*their) price tags stay at $1000+

The thing about consoles is that they are both affordable and consumer friendly.

Still, this gen's consoles are really amping up on pretty much everything, including the price, and IMHO, 400/500 bucks aren't exactly "affordable" in the least. As for being consumer-friedly, I kinda agree with you there. Though PC gaming is pretty complex in most respects (like installation of multi-disc games), it actually makes you learn a thing or two. Still, seeing my mom and lots of other people, the user-friendliness of consoles (as well as handhelds and tablets) give it its own edge.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #606 of 1,094
I was interested in a Steam machine until I saw razer's Project Christine Modular PC.

This is the kind of future I want for PC. It doesn't look cheap though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/razer-project-christine/4505-3118_7-35834097.html

It will make it a lot more accessible to non-enthusiasts who want to get into PC gaming. Replacing/adding parts is as simple as attaching a USB drive, only bigger. No longer having to go into the back of your desktop, unscrew, ett, and deal with all the other fuss.

Having now owned a gaming laptop, I don't see myself playing console games other than exclusives, due to the constant low prices on PC games, and because I don't play online much anyways.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #607 of 1,094
I was interested in a Steam machine until I saw razer's Project Christine Modular PC.

This is the kind of future I want for PC. It doesn't look cheap though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/razer-project-christine/4505-3118_7-35834097.html

It will make it a lot more accessible to non-enthusiasts who want to get into PC gaming. Replacing/adding parts is as simple as attaching a USB drive, only bigger. No longer having to go into the back of your desktop, unscrew, ett, and deal with all the other fuss.

Having now owned a gaming laptop, I don't see myself playing console games other than exclusives, due to the constant low prices on PC games, and because I don't play online much anyways.

To me, I guess that's the main reason why I still play on the PS3 (I find myself playing LBP2 more often than not), but that Project Christine looks mighty interesting, and probably about time a prototype comes out since Phonebloks is essentially the modular smartphone of the future. Hopefully Project Christine might actually be feasible and be implemented.
     But wait...it's by Razer?!
     I don't know why, but Razer seems to be expanding to a lot of stuff beyond PC gaming; they're set on making three new headphones for the mass market, not just of gaming as they used to. But based on their headphone track record, I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't turn out nicely. 

http://www.slashgear.com/razer-adaro-headphones-and-earbuds-series-hands-on-07311957/

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #608 of 1,094
Headphones are only a smaaaaall part of their business. They make everything from mechanical keyboards, gaming mouses, etc. They are a peripheral company, sort of like Mad Catz, Steelseries, etc, only now expanding a LOT more with their more recent releases of gaming laptops, tablets, and now the possible modular PC.

I know their gaming laptop was well received.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #609 of 1,094
Headphones are only a smaaaaall part of their business. They make everything from mechanical keyboards, gaming mouses, etc. They are a peripheral company, sort of like Mad Catz, Steelseries, etc, only now expanding a LOT more with their more recent releases of gaming laptops, tablets, and now the possible modular PC.

I know their gaming laptop was well received.

I agree. I thought I read somewhere that Razer had some aim to "make things that they want made" or something like that. As for their gaming laptops (Razer Blade and Blade Pro) I honestly  think that they look really gorgeous. Also, Mr. Kjellberg (my favorite YouTuber) uses it, lol. 
wink.gif
 He doesn't market it or anything tho, just sayin'.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #610 of 1,094
I haven't owned any of their products, but the modular PC would definitely pique my interest.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #611 of 1,094
I haven't owned any of their products, but the modular PC would definitely pique my interest.

Project Christine will never happen. The concept has lots of problems.

The two biggest is price, and product time to market. If you are the kind of person who will buy this, you are also the kind of person who wants the latest tech when it comes out. You don't want to have to wait 3 months for Razor to put the latest video card in a liquid cooled enclosure, and then pay $100 more for it. Especially if you want 4 of them.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #612 of 1,094
Not if they're price tags stay at $1000+

Those two things are what Steam Machines are designed to deliver. Alienware's version is $500. The same price as the One. The amount of setup is the same as any other console. 

However it is a LOT more affordable in the long run, even with the hardware the same price. The reason is no cost for online play, and you can buy AAA games for next to nothing.

The next console launch will be in 5-8 years. I expect a ton of changes in the world over that time. Enough to the point where it might not ever happen.

Oh, and let's not forget Sony Now. With just a new Sony TV (and a dual shock controller), you can play high end games in your living room. That might be the answer in 5 years. Just an online service.

I used to use Onlive, and it worked great. As more people get high speed internet, I see no reason why this can't be the future. It could be the future of Steam as well.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #613 of 1,094
  Project Christine will never happen. The concept has lots of problems.

The two biggest is price, and product time to market. If you are the kind of person who will buy this, you are also the kind of person who wants the latest tech when it comes out. You don't want to have to wait 3 months for Razor to put the latest video card in a liquid cooled enclosure, and then pay $100 more for it. Especially if you want 4 of them.

If someone was the type of person who would buy this, then he probably is a total newbie when it comes to replacing parts in a PC. Of course, the pros would find it easier to install and replace, but seeing that the installation mechanism is for the most part proprietary, then one would be spending a little more than normal for next gen's parts, which is a pain. I still wonder why there had to be modular PCs when the entire system's parts are still user-replaceable in the end. Convenience, I guess? 

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #614 of 1,094
       If someone was the type of person who would buy this, then he probably is a total newbie when it comes to replacing parts in a PC. Of course, the pros would find it easier to install and replace, but seeing that the installation mechanism is for the most part proprietary, then one would be spending a little more than normal for next gen's parts, which is a pain. I still wonder why there had to be modular PCs when the entire system's parts are still user-replaceable in the end. Convenience, I guess? 

Well it's a mineral oil liquid cooled computer without fans. That's the kind of thing I would want, and I have been building PC's for over 30 years. I guess it could be a newbie thing as well.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #615 of 1,094
     Still, this gen's consoles are really amping up on pretty much everything, including the price, and IMHO, 400/500 bucks aren't exactly "affordable" in the least. As for being consumer-friedly, I kinda agree with you there. Though PC gaming is pretty complex in most respects (like installation of multi-disc games), it actually makes you learn a thing or two. Still, seeing my mom and lots of other people, the user-friendliness of consoles (as well as handhelds and tablets) give it its own edge.

The PS3 was $599 at launch.  The PS2 was $399 if I remember right.  So the launch prices aren't much different this generation than any previous one.  There will be price drops as soon as demand gets lower than supply, possibly this year.

I think the downfall of consoles is not eminent.  It will probably go at least one more generation.

Mobile games move a lot of copies, but don't make much money.  Rovio, the makers of Angry Birds, is about a $150 million a year company.  Nintendo is about a $9 billion a year company.  Sony and Microsoft are hard to measure because they make way more than games.  But there is no mobile game ever released that has made enough money to support AAA development budgets.

That could change someday, but as long as people expect to pay $1 per game (or free with advertising), mobile won't be the platform for AAA games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back