PS3
May 18, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #61 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
Sony has been getting the console right for 10 years now. The day the PlayStation came out consoles changed forever. Sony got ride of the Cartridge and has COMPLETELY dominated consoles ever since.

Yes, thank God for the disc read errors and load screens.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #62 of 117
controller looks like ****....

May 18, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #63 of 117
IMO the system doesn't look too bad, I actually prefer it to strange lines of the Xbox 360 and prefer it over the old PS2 as well. The controller is a bit strange, I guess it will all come down to if is comfortable or not. Sony may end up doing what Microsoft did and release a second controller design later after they get enough buyer feedback.

May 18, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #64 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Yes, thank God for the disc read errors and load screens.
biggrin.gif

Heh, I figured out how to fix disc read errors on a PS1 by running it vertically, and on PS2 by covering up certain vents and the perforated metal inside the expansion bay, as well as a compression seal for the disc tray, all made with about 10 cents of electrical tape(this virtually eliminates the factor of dust from entering the console, and the thing still looks stock!). My PS2's been running strong ever since 2002 like that, and I personally think it's the best mod out there for the console.

Can't fix load times though
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 18, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #65 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Xbox 360, PS3, blah blah blah.

They are trying to replicate a PC experience but are going to make it clumbsy like they always do. TRIPLE 3.2ghz processors?! That's a joke.............................................. ............

Probably playing a game on the truly best gaming platform:
THE PC.

Y'know, I have been saying that for some time now, but with the new next gen systems, it may not be that way much longer.

Especially with many PC developers have fallen so far behind the audio aspect of gaming. We maybe might see a Dolby Digital Live sound card that will allow me to play games in 5.1 on my real home theater and not some cheap Klipsch's.

So many PC games rarely support 16:9 aspect ratio (HL2 being a big exemption, man, it looks fantastic at 1280x720 on my 46" screen).

Consoles may actually get a step ahead of PC games this year. Just barely, but maybe.

Perhaps it will kick PC game developers to wake up and kick it into gear.

-Ed

May 18, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #67 of 117
Console games will definitely get a step up on PC games this year. I don't think people realize just how powerful these new systems are. Particularly when you consider that they are dedicated gaming machines with a hardware feature/spec sheet that is fixed. Devs can truly make the most out of the platform.

May 18, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #69 of 117
I like both designs. I have never bought a console because I think SDTV resolution sucks, but with HD support in the current generation, I will probably ditch my PC (only used for games, I have a Mac for everything else) for a console.

May 18, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #70 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
honestly the vids weren't that impressive for ps3. It might just be I'm too used to good graphics from my gaming pc, but nothing has really wowed me. The biggest selling point for me would be the blu-ray and multi-disk compatability.

i think pc graphics of today are not comparable to those of the ps3 videos at all. most companies dont want to program games that will only run on systems with the fastest cpu and 6800ultras. so most games are restricted, and will be restircted in the future graphicly.

bottom line is, the next gen consoles are going to be a few steps ahead of pc for quite sometime. looking at the specs. this is pretty obvious. the cell technolgoy of the ps3 has a clear advantage over the standard pc. but it's goign to take time for developers to program the games well.

pc gaming industry is going to have some serious catching up.

i cant wait.

May 18, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #71 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Y'know, I have been saying that for some time now, but with the new next gen systems, it may not be that way much longer.

Especially with many PC developers have fallen so far behind the audio aspect of gaming. We maybe might see a Dolby Digital Live sound card that will allow me to play games in 5.1 on my real home theater and not some cheap Klipsch's.

So many PC games rarely support 16:9 aspect ratio (HL2 being a big exemption, man, it looks fantastic at 1280x720 on my 46" screen).

Consoles may actually get a step ahead of PC games this year. Just barely, but maybe.

Perhaps it will kick PC game developers to wake up and kick it into gear.

-Ed

It seems like this has come up the last few console releases though. The thing is, consoles are very competitive when they debut because they are brand new hardware. In fact, sometimes they are "future" hardware, as seems to be the case with the new Xbox and PS3. But after a few years, PCs tend to catch up, and then some. The Xbox is a P3 700 and a GeForce2 (could be a 3 but I wanna say 2). That's laughable compared to modern PCs, and it should be after 4 or 5 years. What's really amazing is the quality of games and graphics they've been able to squeeze out of that hardware. Even though these new systems are using more "exotic" CPUs, their graphics are powered by ATI and nVidia, so you can bet whatever you see in them will be seen on the PC within 6 months of launch.

Also, 16:9 has not been a common aspect ratio for computer monitors until recently, so it makes sense most games do not support it yet. TVs have been available in that format a while but I believe widescreen monitors have only been around a year maybe (possibly excluding Apple cinema, laptop screens, and that goofy ginormous 24" Sony CRT). Support will come along, but it needs time. World of Warcraft also supports wide aspect resolutions and looks gorgeous on my Dell 2005fpw (which is actually 16:10).

To me, network connectivity may be the biggest way consoles start to challenge the mighty PC. In the past, if you wanted to play alone or with a friend, you played on your console. If you wanted to play against more people, or people you didn't know, or people who were far away, you simply needed a PC. Even pre-internet, I remember dialing up a friend's modem to play Warcraft2. You just couldn't do that stuff with N64 or Playstation. In my mind, if you can play console FPS games with a mouse and keyboard, and if you can play games online against one or many people (even MMORPGs), then you haven't got much need for the PC anymore. At least, not for a couple years till PC hardware again pushes past what the consoles can offer.

May 18, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #73 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
honestly the vids weren't that impressive for ps3. It might just be I'm too used to good graphics from my gaming pc, but nothing has really wowed me. The biggest selling point for me would be the blu-ray and multi-disk compatability.

But the simple economy is these consoles will sell for around the same price point as just the graphics card of a PC capable of the same and probably lower than the processor would cost in an equivalent PC.

Plus, as others have mentioned the consoles will be designed to play games and not held back by components that were designed otherwise.

May 18, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #74 of 117
Am I the only one here who doesnt care all that much about the graphics? My favorite games are those for gameplay, not flashy pictures. I doubt that consoles can ever be as good as pc's for two type of games I play(ed): strategy and fps. I need a mouse and a keyboard for both of those. Also, the console-rpg's that I have experiences with (very few), were entertaining but not really serious [FF7, for instance]. The sad part of the hardware boom is that both consumers and developers put a huge importance on graphics, because that sells the game (that and the extra features). But gameplay is what makes you enjoy the game after the first magic is gone. That said, I think consoles are and always were a better platform for simulators of any type, and action games.

May 18, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #75 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Am I the only one here who doesnt care all that much about the graphics? My favorite games are those for gameplay, not flashy pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Besides gameplay far outweighs graphics for me.

No!
wink.gif

I do disagree that using a keyboard and mouse is somehow superior to using an analogue controller for a FPS. They are just different and people will have their own personal preference,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back