PS3 -> Monitor -> 3.5mm stereo audio output -> amp? headphones -> Works?
Nov 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mblomstrand92

New Head-Fier
Hello i just ordered a Samsung BX2450 LED Monitor. I'm going to use it with my pc and ps3, both with hdmi. On the monitor by samsung you can find a 3.5mm stereo audio output which i asume that audio from the ps3 will go out through? If this is correct we are getting somewhere.

I always use headphones and my current set-up with my computer right now is a pair or Audio Technica ATH-M50 which i love (moded so mids are better). They are plugged into an Asus Xonar STX soundcard. I only listen to flac, watch mostly blu-rays and game.

Anyways, i'm very pleased with that sound from the headphones so i don't want any new or other ones. Now i want to use these headphones for the 3.5mm stereo audio output aswell if that is possible? If it is i want to drive them with some kinda mini-amp that would improve the sound. So please give me tips about which mini-amps or "stuff" i should check out to improve that sound. Do i need to get a simpel DAC aswell?

I'm willing to spend up to 200 Usd for an amp and dac or something that improve the sound noticeably.
Thanks again for all the help i can get and have a good day :)

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 16
The 3.5mm stereo output from the monitor  is more than likely going to be a pretty weak source.

I suggest using the PS3's composite cables and hooking that up to something like this:

And hooking the 3.5mm end to a portable amp. Something as cheap as the E5 (or even better, the E7) would more than likely be infinitely better than the HPO of the monitor.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 16
So is it?

PS3 -> white and red cable into the ps3 and the 3.5mm -> Portable Amp -> Audio Technica ATH-M50?

Am i wrong or right? Please correct the whole connection to the right one if i am
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry for being such a noob

EDIT

I want the Fiio 7E, it looks awesome. Where can i order it? I live in Sweden but don't want to use amazon. Tips for any site that ship to Europe?

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Yes:

PS3 -> PS3's Composite Cable -> White/Red In to 3.5mm male -> Amp -> Headphones.

OR you could get a SERIOUS gaming amp that adds virtual surround and get:

Ear Force DSS
Astro Mixamp
Tritton AX720 amp

With these three it'd be:

PS3 Optical out ---> One of those three gaming amps --> Headphones

If you're trying to save money, then the best is the DSS as it has the same Dolby Headphone processing as the other two but without voice chat.

I'll tell you right now, once you game in Dolby Headphone, you won't wanna go back to regular stereo, IMHO.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 16
Well since i will only use my ps3 for gaming and still play blu-rays on my computer set up i'm very intrested in one of those amps. I won't be playing any fps probably but some games i will get are:

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
And so on

I don't know if this matter... anyways. Money is not a problem really so which one of those three gaming amps are the best ones used with my Audio Technica ATH-M50's?
I'm not gonna use voice chat on the ps3.

Update

After looking around the Astro Mixamp not only looks the best and i see that you own one. Would you recommend it for my usage :)?

Thanks for being so helpful :) Gotta love this forum

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 16
If you're not gonna use voice chat, then save money by just getting the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS. The M50 is easy to drive, and any of these three amps will work just fine with the M50s. The DSS is about $80, and you'll notice a clear difference when playing ANY game that supports 5.1 Dolby Digital. Of course, when you do use your headphones, you have to go to the PS3 menu and set the audio to Optical Digital and Dolby Digital. If the HDMI you have is hooked up straight to the TV and you use the TV's speakers, you can set an option on the PS3 to do multi audio out, where every other input will do Linear 2.0 PCM.

The Mixamp IS the best due to sheer versatility. If you get that, you can rest easy knowing you have the best one. If you wait until Nov. 22, you can get the new Mixamp 5.8 which is $99 introductory price, and allows a wireless 'bridge' between you and the amp, with the same audio quality as the regular mixamp.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/111/Wireless-MixAmp/

And yes, it will work with the M50. I have the M50 in the house, and they work fine with the Mixamp, though there are better options for gaming. Still the M50 does a GREAT job for gaming. When I mean beter, I mean in soundstage which isn't as important anyway.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks again... well mabye i should go with the Mixamp after all. It would be nice with voice chat even if i won't play online on the ps3 to often. And the Mixamp sure does looks sexy.

http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/products.asp?id=2670

Now i want a headset that sound really good with a mic.
Please tell me if you know any headsets that i would be great for using with the ps3.
Note* I will buy a good mic for the computer so i will only use the headset for ps3.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 16
I have a couple of pretty hardcore friends on avsforum, some who have owned so many headphones and headsets to count. He's pretty much said that the BEST headset he's ever heard is the Sennheiser PC360. It's expensive, but said to be well worth it. I don't really like using voice chat, so I use my headphones...

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Hmm well they cost around 225 USD here in Sweden. Mabye i'll just go with a really good mic instead plugged into the computer. All my friends use Skype and Teamspeak anyway. I'll order the Astro Mixamp as soon as my salary arrives at the end of the months, and use it with the m50's :) Finally .... will i get a cable to plug into my ps3 when buying the Mixamp or do i get that with my ps3 when buying it? Big thanks for all the help :)

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 16
With the Mixamp you'll need an toslink cable...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=6273&seq=1&format=2

That one is 15 feet, though you can get shorter or longer. Also don't get ones with the fancy metal thing, as it is heavy and can break off the 'doors' of your optical digital inputs.

I honestly don't remember the Mixamp coming with one, but Astro sells it for pretty damn expensive. All toslink cables work exactly the same. The audio is either transmitted or it isn't. Buy the cheapest one you can find online as long as it isn't built like crap. I dunno if Monoprice delivers to Sweden, but optical toslink cables are cheap online.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 16
No problem, happy to help.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't trade gaming with Dolby Headphone over ANY other piece of audio equipment.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 16
Ok i'm in the exact same situation that you are or ... was ..
i own a pair of Ath-Ad700 whit a  6,3 mm or 3,5 mm jack

only problem is, and here is my question
i'm a canadian
and amps .. and shipping prince on amps are enormous !!!!

what amp would you recomend me ..
to get the best out of my Ath-Ad700 .. wiout spending to much ( under 100$ )
(under 50$ would be amazing )

ps: like you 2, i do not use voice chat and if i ever will it would be a usb mic

i did look over the mixamp .. but its retailed for 99$ + 85$ shipping .. and thats WAY over my budjet
i think i found the Fiio E7 on ( deal extreme ) shiping to canada for no shipping fee..
is there other bether option in the 0-50$ price range ..
and if i go for that fiio e7 will i hear a BIG difference between that and .. a much more expensive amp ?

thx alot !

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but where can I get one of those that you mentioned above? Only thing I could find on Amazon are nickel plated.

check monoprice.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back