PS2-What's the best role playing game.
Oct 10, 2005 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Spiritboxer

1000+ Head-Fier
I remember years ago there was a role playing game on Nintendo called "Dragon Warrior". Didn't depend on speed or lightning fast reflexes but was slow paced and creative problem solving won the day. I'd love to find a game like it, I had a really good time with the original. Wish I had more info but it was a long time ago, hope you guys can come up with something.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 29
IIRC, Dragon Warrior was the US/EU name for "Dragon Quest", quite a famous RPG on NES (the old 8bit one). The series is a blockbuster in Japan, where it outsells all other games.
Last one out (i think) is Dragon Quest 7, for Playstation1. It's a solid, and quite difficult, imo.

As for PS2, i have to admit that i haven't found an RPG yet that i really like... mostly because i can't stand english voiceovers in a japanese-style RPG.
I'd recommend getting some good Playstation1 RPGs, like Lunar 1&2, Grandia, Arc the Lad, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears.
You can also, if you really have to, try the Final Fantasy series
rolleyes.gif

If you want to stay with Dragon Warrior1, emulating NES or SNES games is also quite worthwile.

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 29
My recommendations would be the Suikoden and Xenosaga series. Suikoden I-III were excellent, and I still feel to this day that Suikoden III has probably the best storyline I've ever encountered in an RPG...I guess it was the whole mystical feeling the game had with all 5 of the elemental True Runes coming into play, along with the somewhat tragic personalities of the bad guys that made me feel really immersed in it. I just kept wanting to play that game to advance its storyline. Just don't expect anything revolutionary from the fighting system, it's pretty standard fare. The 4th installment kind of fell on its face, storyline and gameplay were pretty weak, and the game too short. A huge shame since with the True rune Suikoden IV was based on, the Rune of Punishment, I think they could've made a really emotionally impacting game similar to Suikoden II if they had done the story differently.

I'm playing Xenosaga now and it's yet another RPG I keep wanting to play for its storyline...the plot twists are pretty jaw dropping and the fighting system is excellent. The characters are all done in a way where you just want to find out more about them. While some people complain it's more movie than game, I think it blends just right...and the cinematics are incredible enough that I certainly don't mind watching them.

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Spiritboxer said...

Didn't depend on speed or lightning fast reflexes

Up until you said this part, I was going to recommend Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Heck, I'll still recommend it as an excellent rpg, but I think the battle system would annoy the heck out of you, given reflexes play some role in the judgement ring that you have to do for pretty much every battle action. But if you want some non-cliche yet still highly interesting and entertaining characters, a plot actually set during World War II (or I, I forget which), and a gutsy ending, play it.

So my personal favorite is Grandia II. Highly entertaining characters, great music, and by far my all-time favorite battle system. The freedom of movement and different attack effects on turn status, combined w/ still being turn-based combat at heart, allows for some chaotic yet strategic fights if you want them to be. Highly recommended.

And of course, whenever a rpg thread comes up, it's mandatory I recommend my favorite of all time, Final Fantasy IV. Yes, IV.
tongue.gif

Actually, if you can wait until late November, I believe a new Dragon's Quest game, Dragon's Quest VIII, is getting released here. So you'll probably want to give that one a look as well.
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

I'm playing Xenosaga now and it's yet another RPG I keep wanting to play for its storyline

I liked the original as well. The sequel, unfortunately, was not as good. If you ever play the sequel, do yourself a favor and read Gamefaqs so you know which sidequests not to do. I'm not kidding, it has the most underwhelming side quests ever.

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
And of course, whenever a rpg thread comes up, it's mandatory I recommend my favorite of all time, Final Fantasy IV. Yes, IV.
tongue.gif

Final Fantasy IV is really really fun. Definately the best replay value of any of them. I think VI is a better game, but IV is just a package of RPG-goodness.

As for PS2, I've heard good things about Xenosaga if you're into heavy plots. For more laid-back RPG-esque play, there's something like Kingdom Hearts.

Of course, you could just play all of those good old SNES RPGs...

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Actually, if you can wait until late November, I believe a new Dragon's Quest game, Dragon's Quest VIII, is getting released here. So you'll probably want to give that one a look as well.

Yes that one should be right up your alley
biggrin.gif

My top recommendations go to: The Shin Megami Tensei series (Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga I and II) and Atelier Iris. Also check out Ys: The Ark of Napishtim if you don't mind action/adventure style RPGs.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 29
Final Fantasy X, hands down. Previous to it I disliked every role-playing game I'd ever laid hands on, and I have now beaten the game at least 4 times. It's really a masterpiece. X-2... well, not so much. It's fun, definitely, but just seems so much grind-ier than X was.

I found Xenosaga immensely boring, and the combat system was the least intuitive thing I've ever seen. Not to mention 20-minute cutscenes
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 29
Another vote for FFX (Final Fantasy X). I started playing and could not stop. That game was incredibly addictive. X-2 however, I cannot say the same for. I bought X-2, played it for half an hour, and gave up.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 29
Suikoden series, shadow hearts, Dragon Quest VIII coming soon, pick up the Final Fantasy origins/anthology/chronicles for the originals (I, II, IV, V, VI)

If you want something slightly different, Final Fantasy Tactics is brilliant, as is Vandal Hearts. (both PS1). Disgaea and Lapucelle tactics are similar games for ps2.

If you have a gamecube (or dreamcast) i highly recommend Skies of Arcadia.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 29
Thanks for all the responses! I'm making up a RPG shopping list for this weekend, ahhhh, a slice a' life! Ya know, a friend is making noises about working with me on a biography. Problem is, half the interesting stuff would bring up certain legal issues and who wants to deal with stuff like that. Wonder if biographys as video games would interest any one. Instead of reading about historical figures, you could virtually become them. Interesting teaching tool but I'm sure someones come up with it already.

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 29
FYI, Dragon Quest 8 (i.e., Dragon Warrior 8) was released in Japan some time ago. I own the game and it was pretty good game all in all. IMO, far better than Dragon Quest 7 which looked more like a rushed and unfinished game more than anything. If I'm not mistaken, Dragon Quest 8 is slated to come out in US market.

EDIT - Oops, I somehow missed that it has already been mentioned that DQ8 is coming out soon here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back