PS1000s shipping
Jul 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #631 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I have spend nice four hours with Grado PS-1000 (straight from the box, unfortunately), AKG K1000 and Ultrasone E9. Some impressions tomorrow.

It's a date, don't be late. j/k

I cannot wait to see what you write, as I've always been, a little, intrigued by both the K1 and E9.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do it - the PS-1000 at CanJam were definitely better than the GS-1000. The mids were much more vivid and clear, being the biggest difference to me.

I was in line for the PS-1000 and before that the GS-1000 made me want to give it a try; however, I'm definitely going to rent before I own either.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Are you considering a purchase of either of the above (GS or PS-1000)?

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #632 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a date, don't be late. j/k

I cannot wait to see what you write, as I've always been, a little, intrigued by both the K1 and E9.

I was in line for the PS-1000 and before that the GS-1000 made me want to give it a try; however, I'm definitely going to rent before I own either.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Are you considering a purchase of either of the above (GS or PS-1000)?

I will never buy a GS-1000. I might buy a PS-1000 someday, but it's not next on my list.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #633 of 644
I have been reading this thread from day one. I started with the review Zanth wrote (the one on the Grado site) and would like to know if the production phones are just as good as the phones that were reviewed ?

A don't recall that being asked - can anyone enlighten me ?

Cheers

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #634 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the price they want for the PS-1000 I am not buying them. The PS-1000 was a bit boomy in the bass, and slightly edgy in the highs, although the mids and soundstage were nice and I didn't find much in the way of other faults with them....
Maybe different tubes would tame the bass better.... ... I almost like the HF-2 better than the PS-1000, which had similar rich and juicy mids without being too forward, while at the same time sounding smoother without the overpowering bass....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare the GS1000 to PS1000 Sound?

PS1000 has a more forward mid, sweeter high and better bass. Will have to wait for it to burn in before any serious listening.

I noticed the post from Canjam on PS1000 bass, but the second post is quite different.

Have the PS1000s owners noticed a change in bass during burn-in ? Would that go anyway to explaining the Canjam impression ?

Thanks again

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #635 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by kakapo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading this thread from day one. I started with the review Zanth wrote (the one on the Grado site) and would like to know if the production phones are just as good as the phones that were reviewed ?

Cheers

After some burn-in, surely they are. See here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ml#post5851631

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #636 of 644
Quote:

Cheers

They sound the same to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #637 of 644
Thanks again for the confirmation that the production phones are the same as the ones you heard initially

After 3 months of wait #340 has made it to New Zealand, and the B22 is busily driving them. I haven't heard anything better than my RS1s (and the AKG 702s and Stax 404 that I sold a few months back) before so the PS1000s are a major step. So much more musical and realistic right across the spectrum.

They've got about 25 hours of actual use on them now, I'm using them rather than leaving them burning them in. The sound out of the box is fine, so it will be interesting to see if I can detect any improvement - might be too hard to remember exactly what they did to start with.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #638 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand his business sense even though it seems crazy that you get the same packaging with a $1,700 headphone as you do with a medium $15 pizza.
biggrin.gif

Good things come in basic packaging.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #639 of 644
Look, most of us put our boxes in closets or garages once receiving the products,
But the reality of the situation is, that, like with fine French Cuisine, half of the fun of getting a new component, is the presentation, And taking a pair of $1800 headphones and shipping them kin a a $4 pizza box is just wrong. Packaging exudes professionalism and shows the care and thought that went into making the product, The difference between receiving an new pair of headphones in a nice box like an Audio Technica or even an iPod, speaks volumes of how a company cares about it's products, even if the price is passed onto the consumer.

Think about what the difference would be if you received a brand new pair of R-10's of HE-90's in a "blister pak".
The qualias were delivered by a man wearing white gloves, and every week a "concierge" writes me and asks me if there is anything that s/he can do for me.
Small effort, large payout.
Would I rather save the the $300 and have my R-10's sent in an average flight case? Yes. but there is a big difference between a $300 Coach suitcase and a $4 pizza box.
We need to find the happy medium.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #640 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The qualias were delivered by a man wearing white gloves, and every week a "concierge" writes me and asks me if there is anything that s/he can do for me.

The concierge part sounds a bit creepy. How's that working for you?

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #641 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, let's get this out of the way right up front - these are EXCEPTIONAL headphones.

Why do I say that? Well, in spite of limited burn-in they have quickly vaulted to best headphones in the house status. Before anyone accuses me of being a Grado fanboy, lets go through what the comment above really means. I own two pair of Grados - the original (typically called vintage) RS1s and a pair of GS1000s.

First the vs the RS1s - While I've owned the RS1s for what almost seems like forever, my relationship with them has been somewhat love/hate. I love their lively, organic nature but have always been frustrated by their "only sounds good with flats" nature. A limitation the PS1000s shred to pieces by making the RS1s sound downright closed in in comparison. It always seemed to me that to get the best timber out of the RS1 you have to use it with pads that collapse the soundstage severely. How severely, I didn't really appreciate until I put on the PS1000s immediately after listening to the RS1s. And while the RS1s could be a rollicking good euphonic ride, I'd never be tempted to accuse them of being particularly natural in terms of color or texture. Even with only 8 hours of burn in the PS1000 is wildly more natural in timber, tamber and texture. While still delivering the one charachteristic I've always liked about Grados - a non-mechanical, organic sound. The comparison between the two is quite literally a joke and I really doubt I'll be able to use the RS1s again.

Now compared to the GS1000s - I've owned the GS1000s for about a year now. I try to love them, I really do. And in one way I can. If I were to sum them up in one impression, they strike me as a cartridge designers homage to listening to British orchestral LPs from the 60s and 70s played back with a moving coil cartridge from the late 80s. A nice bass foundation for the hall and a shimmery tip to the top end that gives a sheen to strings on good old analog recordings, but a character that does nothing to flatter contemporary digital. Call it it midrange suck out. Call it boosted highs and lows. Call it it boom and tizz. But run 'em with tubes on old well mastered orchestral recordings and they can quite literally sing. It's just that I find they can't do much else. The PS1000s obliterate them. How? Mids. Texture. Mids. Warmth. Did I say mids? Just what the GS1000s lack.

So if i'm not the traditional Grado fanboy what else do I listen to? Denon 5000s and 7000s driven by A Moth Si2A3 with outboard power supply and dedicated heater trannies running RCA globe 45s, a Zana Deux, or a completely recapped ancient gold and chrome Cary CAD300sei runnning a mix of Tung Sols and Sylvaninas with WE 300Bs. Oh yeah - and electrostats. Stax 404s and a pair of 007A MK 2s driven by a Woo GES retubed with Sylvania black plate 5751s and Tung Sol 6S4s.

Compared to the Denons? - the Denons are fun cans. I love the 7000s, but dammit if the Ps1000s don't quite easily blow them away. How? Texture. Less hifi fun sounding and more like music. I really like the 7000s but they do just have a bit more emphasis on both the top and the bottom than the new Grados. And while I thought they were fairly revealing, the lie was given to that very quickly. The Grados simply unravel wildly more low level detail and spatial information. A bigger and more open soundstage almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.

That brings us to the stats - I won't compare to the 404s as I have a really hard time taking them seriously, but compared to the 007s, things get more interesting. The big Stax phones have one enduring and endearing characteristic when coupled to the Woo GES. They simply sound natural. Timber, texture and lifelike color are the order of the day. It's almost like you are listening directly to things going on in your room. Their limitation? They have the dynamic contrast of an SET driving an 80dB sensitive speaker. Polite is the only kind way to put it. Dynamically starved is the harsh way. Now I'm not ready to say that the PS1000s match the 007As for low level effortless purity (yet), they sound more like them than any other headphone in the house in that regard. The new Grados, put huge amounts of low level info up for effortless display. Slap echo of the singers voice off the wall of a recording booth? Yep. Low level ambient decay in a concert hall? Sure. That peculiarly lifelike sense of of low level textural detail on voices you only thought stats did? Uh huh. Big difference though. They're dynamics and they can play LOUD. And they have a sense of weight and body on vocals I've never heard stats really be able to do. And all with absolutely no hyping of the highs. In a word? Impressive.

No doubt they still have long way to go, but a few things strike me about these phones right away. If you like the fun, rambunctious sort of undisciplined (though highly inaccurate) sound some Grados give you might be disappointed. These phones are far more accurate than the RS1s or GS1000s. But they retain the endearing Grado organic character (none of the synthetic Sennheiser 600 sound here). They really seem to benefit from the mass and rigidity of the aluminum driver housings - I think that must have something to do with the resolution of subtle low level ambient and textural information. Those traditional wooden Grado housings might resonate in fun ways but I suspect there is a price to pay in terms of not being a rigid springboard for low level detail. Voicing. These things are balanced with a warmth and body in the lower midrange that really lets voices bloom and sound natural. Combine that with an excellent sense of low level texture and vocals pretty mush reside in to die for territory.

Let's be blunt. I'm hearing the best performance I've ever heard out of a headphone this new out of the box. With 8 hours on them they pretty much wipe the floor with everything I've got to throw at them. I can't help but wonder how they will sound after 100 hours or so.

Joe

All impressions with lossless encodes off a Mac / Emperical Audio Off Ramp 3 / Audio Note DAC 2.1 Level C feeding the Moth Si2A3 via Siltech Compass Lake.

Finally, a review of the PS-1000 that actually makes me want to own a pair.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #642 of 644
It's the concierge from the Sony (used to be Qualia ) store on 5th ave in Manhattan. Each week they write me and tell me what's new like Vaio products and Leica lens cameras, Bravia TV's, etc...

They never tell you the prices, though.
If you have to ask, then you can't afford it.
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #643 of 644
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I have spend nice four hours with Grado PS-1000 (straight from the box, unfortunately), AKG K1000 and Ultrasone E9. Some impressions tomorrow.

Congratulation to learn your PSK is back , It is so curiosity about your new impression

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #644 of 644
Quote:

Thanks again for the confirmation that the production phones are the same as the ones you heard initially

After 3 months of wait #340 has made it to New Zealand, and the B22 is busily driving them. I haven't heard anything better than my RS1s (and the AKG 702s and Stax 404 that I sold a few months back) before so the PS1000s are a major step. So much more musical and realistic right across the spectrum.

They've got about 25 hours of actual use on them now, I'm using them rather than leaving them burning them in. The sound out of the box is fine, so it will be interesting to see if I can detect any improvement - might be too hard to remember exactly what they did to start with.

I still guess whether you are satisfactory with your PSK or not
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back